Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I had a DOT officer tell me I had to keep a paper log book just in case. Maybe it was just him. Also , payroll requires a paper logbook page and a paper time card if the ivis fails. Maybe that is just at our hub.

Anything they come up with can fail.

He told you that you have to keep a log book in the tractor in case the IVIS fails, not that you have to fill out a paper log as a backup in case the IVIS fails. You only need to fill it out "if" the IVIS fails.

And yes, if the IVIS fails, you have to fill out a paper timecard along with a log if you travel beyond 100 air miles from your location. If less than 100 air miles, you only need a paper timecard.

I believe he is correct. All tractors should have a paper logbook in their pouch. I know as of now we have a couple of logbook pages, but I'm pretty sure that's not good. It should be a logbook.

You do not need an entire book. You only need 2 pages if you are gone overnight. One page for the start of your work and the second page for the next day (after midnight.)

If you're on a day run, you only need 1 page. Team drivers gone for days at a time need at least as many pages to cover their time gone.

I know, it is easier just to have an entire book, but cheapo UPS only wants to supply what is required by the DOT. And the DOT does not require an entire book. Only enough pages while you are out in case the IVIS fails. If the IVIS fails and you use the 2 pages, you need to get 2 more pages before you go on road again.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS is providing it.

It will probably run on Windows Mobile, like the current IVIS, and not have the capabilty for us to download apps, play games, text, place personal calls, etc.

Will most likely be like the DIAD. Grab yours when you start and it will have all the loads in it already just like the current IVIS. When done clock out and place in the charge rack.

I have heard it will eventually have the capabilities of unlocking the doors and starting the tractor, similar to current package cars.
I guess this would come in handy if you were running in a rental with no ivis.....

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I guess this would come in handy if you were running in a rental with no ivis.....

Yep.

Even though it would not be linked to the rental tractor, the GPS in the phone can keep track of miles and locations when stopping for a break or meal.

Should not have to run a log or paper time card with the new phone/IVIS.

B

BrownCubster

It's snowing right now on Donner Summit. Hopefully I won't have to chain. I do have a snow bag ( not with me today ) with snow gloves, an extra flashlight, bunjees, water ,
some canned food , blanket , and a headlamp and extra batteries.

What do some of you veteran snow runners carry so I can be better prepared for the unexpected?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's snowing right now on Donner Summit. Hopefully I won't have to chain. I do have a snow bag ( not with me today ) with snow gloves, an extra flashlight, bunjees, water ,

What do some of you veteran snow runners carry so I can be better prepared for the unexpected?
A giant steaming bag of attention.. Just for you.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

Some guys/gals here will bring a shovel and truck sized snow brush/ice scraper. Extra ww fluid, and air brake antifreeze.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Talk at oldroadbeech didn't she used to run that same route

SMH!!!

Busta Brown

Just turned 21 and put my name on the list I have a class a cdl with doubles and triples endorsement and was told that I can do seasonal feeders with no experience just wondering is that true

Brown Now

Just turned 21 and put my name on the list I have a class a cdl with doubles and triples endorsement and was told that I can do seasonal feeders with no experience just wondering is that true
Don't know if that's true. They want experience. Only time you really don't need experience is if you go through feeder school and complete it successfully.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Probably true. They take package car drivers with no experience. But if you're still part-time, that puts you below any full-time on the list. If it were me, I would call my union Business Agent and ask him/her about it. I believe the union gets a copy of the intent lists, and should be able to verify that they actually put your name on the list.
Like Brown Now said, you'd probably need to do the 2 week program (1 week unpaid, use an option day to maintain your benefits).

P

pickup

Last year at my hub , when they couldn't get the desired number of seasonal feeder drivers off the streets, they dropped the requirement of experience and brought guys off the street who just came out of tractor trailer school.

One of these guys was so bad, they kept him in the yard where he managed to hold up the flow of traffic every time he backed in.

OnTheWayUp

Hi im a RTD new hire. I have a class A cdl with 8 years experience haz,tank,doubles. I was looking to get into the feeder side of things. I know i don't have much seniority(3 months) but when would it be likely that I could break into feeder driving? I know you have to sign up on a list but when does the list go up and will i still have to attend the feeder school? I'm at the charlotte nc hub.

barnyard

KTM rider
Your best bet would be to ask someone in your hub. They will know local practice and can show you where the seniority list is so you can have an idea where you would be (the bottom, obviously...)

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Hi im a RTD new hire. I have a class A cdl with 8 years experience haz,tank,doubles. I was looking to get into the feeder side of things. I know i don't have much seniority(3 months) but when would it be likely that I could break into feeder driving? I know you have to sign up on a list but when does the list go up and will i still have to attend the feeder school? I'm at the charlotte nc hub.
Yes you have to go to feeder school and you will be surprised how much you will learn even though you have been driving for 8 years. UPS feeder training is very good.

Regarding how long it will take to get into feeder, it depends on your hub. At our hub it takes an average of 5-8 years. sometimes more, sometimes less depending on economic conditions.

But every hub is different. It's best that you ask some of the senior drivers. Check the last person on the feeder list and see how many years they have with the company. also look at the list and see how often new feeder drivers were added.

Your best bet is ask feeder drivers at your hub.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Your best bet would be to ask someone in your hub. They will know local practice and can show you where the seniority list is so you can have an idea where you would be (the bottom, obviously...)
Ha ha , your post wasn't there while I was typing a reply. we must be right coming up with basically the same answer.