Ask a PT supervisor anything.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I wish you luck in your efforts "YourBoss". In my 28 years with UPS I have seen a ton of PT sups come and go. Most left because of promises made to go to FT driving. I get along well with my management team but they are have no desire (laziness) to promote a PT supervisor to driving and have to train him. Then they have to turn around and train another person for the PT job. This is the main reason that new hires are the only employees that management can persuade to take a PT Supervision job. They don't know any better. On the other hand............... as long as you show up for work, you will have a job for life.

UPS Lifer

I wish you luck in your efforts "YourBoss". In my 28 years with UPS I have seen a ton of PT sups come and go. Most left because of promises made to go to FT driving. I get along well with my management team but they are have no desire (laziness) to promote a PT supervisor to driving and have to train him. Then they have to turn around and train another person for the PT job. This is the main reason that new hires are the only employees that management can persuade to take a PT Supervision job. They don't know any better. On the other hand............... as long as you show up for work, you will have a job for life.

I do agree with this for most operations. Probably why I had a lot of issues when I first took over a hub operation. I had 21 PT supervisors and boosted the total to 34 in less than a year. Obviously I was able to justify the positions. I hand picked the PT supervisors. I set realistic expectations and made absolutely no promises and went so far as to tell them, chances are it won't happen. I recruited part-timers and made it a point not to promote anyone who was in the operation less than 6 months. There were one or two exceptions of military folks who demonstrated leadership skill. All candidates had to participate in KORE (service committees) and or Safety Committee. I went to all meetings and saw these folks in action. They had to take a leadership role in the committee and a full timer or myself would mentor them.

As attrition took place, I got down to just a handful of people that I personally did not recruit. The more the operation hummed the bigger a pool of candidates which increased the quality of PT supervisor.

I have said this before - The buck stops with the manager. If you have lousy supervisors, it is because you have an inexperienced or lousy manager.