Backup Feeder Drivers

Overpaid Union Thug

Do backup Feeder Drivers (normally full-time package) in an extended center have the right to do extra CPU/delivery work in their center (if the regular Feeder Driver doesn't have enough DOT hours left) over Feeder Drivers from another building? In our local Feeder Drivers aren't supposed to be able to do CPU work in other buildings but that's a battle us little guys keep losing. What I want to know is how that scenario is handled in other areas.

Last edited:

skunk

What is considered CPU work in your building? A feeder driver from Whites Creek or somewhere else comes there to a business close to your building, swaps out and then drops the trailer at your building to be processed?

Overpaid Union Thug

What is considered CPU work in your building? A feeder driver from Whites Creek or somewhere else comes there to a business close to your building, swaps out and then drops the trailer at your building to be processed?

That or they pull the load straight to the hub. CPU is Feeder work that is picked up in the center's service area. It may or may not get unloaded there. That's how I've seen it done and know thats the norm in many buildings. Deliveries can made too locally too. Mall bulk deliveries or Surepost for the USPS docks are good examples of those deliveries.

I'm just trying to figure out how other areas handle extra work that is CPU or deliveries and why it can't be done in my building. Why should our center call for a feeder pickup from another building when we have people here that can do it? Plus, the hub guys would go ape :censored2: if the reverse happened. Actually.....they have had that happen and it was squashed very quickly.

Last edited:

skunk

I'm not sure what building your out of but a very high percentage of the feeders drivers at whites creek were originally from the massman building before whites creek was built. They were forced to go to w/c. Then they were bypassed for full-time jobs by new hires at massman.

There are people in feeders at w/c that were hired at massman in the late eighties ahead of people hired years earlier originally at massman and forced to w/c. I guess that is why they go ape :censored3:. A lot of the CPU work is picked up close to massman and processed at both w/c and massman. I know it's a messed up situation but it has cost some people at w/c a lot of money and there are still some bitter feelings..

hyena

image.jpg

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm not sure what building your out of but a very high percentage of the feeders drivers at whites creek were originally from the massman building before whites creek was built. They were forced to go to w/c. Then they were bypassed for full-time jobs by new hires at massman.

There are people in feeders at w/c that were hired at massman in the late eighties ahead of people hired years earlier originally at massman and forced to w/c. I guess that is why they go ape :censored3:. A lot of the CPU work is picked up close to massman and processed at both w/c and massman. I know it's a messed up situation but it has cost some people at w/c a lot of money and there are still some bitter feelings..

Sounds like you are out of Whites Creek. Yes, that crappy situation has been discussed here before as being the reason why things are so friend*ed up in 480 but the other is that one particular person was tired of being bumped back into the hub by those people. That seems to be the story that the regulars that attend the local meetings, as well as a few on here, are sticking with. Either way it clearly wasnt handled right. All they (the local) had to do was make it fair for everyone instead of only for one building. I mean is it right to continuously unfairly punish the surrounding buildings for decades for something that they didn't even have a part of? Of course it isn't.

We just want our work. Why is that too much to ask? Whats happening to the rest of us now isn't even the same as what happened back then. That was the result of a new building being opened and the local not handling things in a smart way to fairly bring people into package and feeders. We are just being told to stay out of Whites Creeks area, which is fine of course, but have to watch Whites Creek take our work. So, now we are the ones loosing money. But I didn't even want to get into that again. What I want to know is how others handle these things. I mean why have a feeder department if we can't even use it? LOL

You mentioned Massman.....I was happy to hear that they were able to get 5 CPU runs of their own moved over from The Creek and that most or all of the work was not followed. That work should have been theirs to begin with because its in their area. I heard that the work should not and would not be combined with CPU work out of Whites Creek though. Also that one building was not supposed to do CPU work in another's area. And that was all straight from the Whites Creek's BA. YET....here were are STILL having this same ole discussion. LOL!

What I was shocked to see was the reactions from some from The Creek when those 5 runs were mentioned at a general membership meeting right after it happened. I never would have thought I'd see someone so pissed that others were actually able to get what they deserve and whats rightfully theirs.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Around here we all work for the hub. We may be domiciled at an outlying bldg and have what we consider to be "our" runs but ultimately it's the hub that makes dispatch decisions. They can cut our runs and move the work if they decide it's more efficient. We get all the local cpu work just because it's the easiest way for them to handle it.

Overpaid Union Thug

Around here we all work for the hub. We may be domiciled at an outlying bldg and have what we consider to be "our" runs but ultimately it's the hub that makes dispatch decisions. They can cut our runs and move the work if they decide it's more efficient. We get all the local cpu work just because it's the easiest way for them to handle it.

So your extended centers have their own CPU runs? Do their backup feeder drivers get the extra work if there is any? That is what I'm curious about.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So your extended centers have their own CPU runs? Do their backup feeder drivers get the extra work if there is any? That is what I'm curious about.
Not sure what you mean by extra work. If there's an extra pickup or something that needs to be made they'll either have one of the local runs swing by and get it or they'll start one of the night runs a little early and take a trailer out to it. They won't bring a q list driver up from delivery for a whole day just to make one pickup.

Overpaid Union Thug

Not sure what you mean by extra work. If there's an extra pickup or something that needs to be made they'll either have one of the local runs swing by and get it or they'll start one of the night runs a little early and take a trailer out to it. They won't bring a q list driver up from delivery for a whole day just to make one pickup.
Extra work is pretty self explanatory. It's work that comes up that isn't part of the normal runs and should be offered to people in the affected center. In your building it sounds like they try and use one of your building's feeder drivers instead of calling the hub. The problem here is that our Feeder Driver either doesn't have the hours or is already in route to the hub with loads that are built here. Some centers have CPUs that work in package half the day and then make Feeder pickups in the afternoon. We have enough work to at least do that. Plus there are empty trailers that need to be moved. We have backup feeders so there is no need to give our work to another building.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Our local drivers work for the delivery centers so it really starts there.
Extra work is pretty self explanatory. It's work that comes up that isn't part of the normal runs and should be offered to people in the affected center. In your building it sounds like they try and use one of your building's feeder drivers instead of calling the hub. The problem here is that our Feeder Driver either doesn't have the hours or is already in route to the hub with loads that are built here. Some centers have CPUs that work in package half the day and then make Feeder pickups in the afternoon. We have enough work to at least do that. Plus there are empty trailers that need to be moved. We have backup feeders so there is no need to give our work to another building.
If you have 8 hours of extra work that's one thing and I can see where you're coming from, but if it's just one pickup I don't see how you expect them to bring a guy out of delivery for a day just to do an hours worth of feeder work.

Overpaid Union Thug

Our local drivers work for the delivery centers so it really starts there.

If you have 8 hours of extra work that's one thing and I can see where you're coming from, but if it's just one pickup I don't see how you expect them to bring a guy out of delivery for a day just to do an hours worth of feeder work.
I wouldn't either but we definitely have the work to have another run.

barnyard

KTM rider
I work at an outlying building that has customer pickups done by hub drivers. I am also a qualified feeder driver, but only work when one of our guys is off. We continually fight over whether CPUs in our direct service area should be done by us or hub drivers. 99/100, the hub guys do the work.

The CPUs that I have been called in for were jobs that could not be covered by our guys because of timing and it did not fit any of the hub drivers schedules.

We opened an account over a year ago that should have created a FT feeder job out of my building, but that work is handled by the hub.

When I started, my building had 7 or 10 FT feeder jobs. As the bid holders retired, the jobs were moved to the hub. Now, there are 4 jobs plus 3 on the extra board.

My local says that as long as jobs are created within the local, they are fine with it.

barnyard

KTM rider
We used to have 3 daytime feeder jobs. All 3 delivered out of a trailer and then did CPUs into their trailers, brought them to the bldg, picked up an empty and went back out to get more. Now we have 1 daytime job and the other CPUs are done by hub drivers.

Overpaid Union Thug

I work at an outlying building that has customer pickups done by hub drivers. I am also a qualified feeder driver, but only work when one of our guys is off. We continually fight over whether CPUs in our direct service area should be done by us or hub drivers. 99/100, the hub guys do the work.

The CPUs that I have been called in for were jobs that could not be covered by our guys because of timing and it did not fit any of the hub drivers schedules.

We opened an account over a year ago that should have created a FT feeder job out of my building, but that work is handled by the hub.

When I started, my building had 7 or 10 FT feeder jobs. As the bid holders retired, the jobs were moved to the hub. Now, there are 4 jobs plus 3 on the extra board.

My local says that as long as jobs are created within the local, they are fine with it.
We used to have 3 daytime feeder jobs. All 3 delivered out of a trailer and then did CPUs into their trailers, brought them to the bldg, picked up an empty and went back out to get more. Now we have 1 daytime job and the other CPUs are done by hub drivers.
In some locals its all about maintaining votes in the hubs instead of doing what's right for all buildings. It's a shame when the very people that are supposed to be fighting for us are siding with the company.That's why the only way for things to be fair is to have a combined seniority list in the locals.