Barclays take on UPS (why the world is going to doo doo imo)

HubBub

"Barclays analysts note that despite the fact that UPS is outgrowing FedEx, it is not able to convert that growth into EPS – meaning that the company is trading at a lower price and profitability.

Barclays analysts point to UPS’s obsessive, customer-first mentality as the problem.

“We are concerned the relentless focus on maintaining service and share with competitors could leave profitability in a lurch beyond the next few quarters,” the note said."

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
"Barclays analysts note that despite the fact that UPS is outgrowing FedEx, it is not able to convert that growth into EPS – meaning that the company is trading at a lower price and profitability.

Barclays analysts point to UPS’s obsessive, customer-first mentality as the problem.

“We are concerned the relentless focus on maintaining service and share with competitors could leave profitability in a lurch beyond the next few quarters,” the note said."
Lol.

It's because we are an old company. Amazon spends more than they make every quarter for growth and servicing customers. Yet they are loved.

Brownslave688

For some reason the market loves fed ex. They can do no wrong. Ups is the red headed step child. Always blamed for poor fed ex
Well paid Union labor probably has a lot to do with that. Add on the FedEx "independent contractor" model and I understand why Wall Street loves them.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Well paid Union labor probably has a lot to do with that. Add on the FedEx "independent contractor" model and I understand why Wall Street loves them.

With all the trucks going to the same houses. I don't see how they can make money? Separate books. Cost effective. I can't see it as it is

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Being customer driven is a negative? Seriously? Customers may not sign the paycheck but they make sure the funds are there to cover it.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Lol.

It's because we are an old company. Amazon spends more than they make every quarter for growth and servicing customers. Yet they are loved.

Amazon is literally hemorrhaging cash every quarter and they're considered a top-level Wall Street prodigy.

UPS (to their credit) pulled out all the stops to make sure Peak 2013 doesn't happen again and they take a beatdown for being less profitable.. which means we're going to take a beatdown for UPS being less profitable. We're already seeing it in the building (write-ups for any supervisors allowing a part-timer to hit time and a half, no OT for the maintenance guys, etc.)

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I think I don't care. Next peak will be right back to what we did before with next to no help. UPS is hardly stupid (well...Wall Street stupid anyway) and their profits are still there. The idea of losing profits is ridiculous. They still are going to profit in the multi billions this quarter.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I predict fifty years from now, Barclays analysts will credit UPS’s obsessive, customer-first mentality as the reason for their long term success.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

I would not worry about customer-first mentality, once everyone gets Orion all that matters is miles and trace. The customer if they are lucky will be in the top 3

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS doesn't have the fanatics like Amazon and Apple do who are loyal despite what the numbers show. UPS has to survive on real world earnings. And that incentive to please the stockholders at the expense of everything else the company once stood for is slowly destroying UPS. The decline started when the stock went public and control shifted to outsiders who don't care about the delivery business or providing service to customers.

Packmule

If we could just see the value in not making promises we can't keep-- and more importantly--allowing shippers to make promises we can't keep, we could win this game.

Brownslave688

This. I've seen a couple of long time, smaller shippers leave us this month because of this.
To who? FedEx is doing it also.

It makes sense to me. The more room your package takes up the more it should cost. Same reason I am all
For hiking prices at peak time. When demand is high prices go up.

T

Turdferguson

This would be like jacking up the prices on generators during an extended weather emergency.

There is a term for that----price gouging.
Huge difference between an emergency price gouging and someone waiting to the last minute to ship a Christmas present. Ordering stuff online and have it shipped to you is a luxury not something you need

Last edited by a moderator: