Big announcement coming in Jan

MAKAVELI

I’m saying Ground will pickup from the Express station like we do with every other customer.

To your other point, any moderately sophisticated shipper will move their volume straight to Ground if there is a price difference and they see that Ground is delivering it anyway.
That might be true with XS, if the shipper doesn't mind the extra day in the process from the point of generating a pu. The other services doubt they would move to Ground.

bacha29

In rural areas as it is Express jocks don't have all that much to do and often have a lot of time on their hands between the last inbound and the time to start doing pickups. So if you take more inbound off of them chances are they're going to have even more dead time. Yes, you can cut routes but out here what it will do is put even more miles between pickups which means that if you're going to get around to all of them you're have to start you're pickup runs a lot earlier in the afternoon.

However it works out the objective is still the same. Eventually replace a 29 and benefits guy with a 13 and zero benefits guy .
Whatever the case this addendum patched, cobbled together, "there by the grace of god go we" cluster (expletive deleted) is going to be fun to watch.
Unfortunately for a lot of contractors they've got every cent of money they have to their names tied up in an ever more uncertain outcome.

Maui

I’m saying Ground will pickup from the Express station like we do with every other customer.

To your other point, any moderately sophisticated shipper will move their volume straight to Ground if there is a price difference and they see that Ground is delivering it anyway.

That is not happening. Using the ramp is more efficient. Ramps serve several stations in the market and provide a single pickup location.

It will be fine

That is not happening. Using the ramp is more efficient. Ramps serve several stations in the market and provide a single pickup location.
You’re debating terms not the concept. Distribution centers for major retailers serve whole states and would provide a single pickup location, we still pick up directly from stores. I’m saying there won’t be Express trailers pulling into Ground hubs to drop off volume. We already have daily pickups at local Express stations, most of that is a day behind already but no reason why they wouldn’t kick that pickup to a later time to grab this new volume as it comes in.

Maui

You’re debating terms not the concept. Distribution centers for major retailers serve whole states and would provide a single pickup location, we still pick up directly from stores. I’m saying there won’t be Express trailers pulling into Ground hubs to drop off volume. We already have daily pickups at local Express stations, most of that is a day behind already but no reason why they wouldn’t kick that pickup to a later time to grab this new volume as it comes in.
It isn’t semantics. It is the actual plan for the GSO launch market.

Serf

How will it work if work is being taken away on the p2 side? Not enough to get a 8 hr shift with only p1
My thought was day routes would finish up with FO/P1 and with little to no P2/ES they would start doing more pickups. And night route part timers would start later.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
What happens to courier jobs. Volume will decline for express and many places will be over staffed. Buyout offers? Layoffs?
I can tell ya for sure that one ain’t nevvah hapnin’. Too many other ways to discard an hourly than for to have the company lose money doing so.

Maui

So as a full timer do you think it’s time to start looking for a new job?
I don’t think so. Some thought that when FedEx Ground started. Looking at the chart Makaveli posted Pharma and signature required packages are excluded. The announcement says it will be select packages and lists matching criteria. It will be determined by the origin location and the destination zip code.

FedEx does not want empty Express trucks. They want to fill them with higher yielding packages. It may not happen immediately and there will be a drop in volume once your market is included, but there are more business packages out there to be had.

No one really knows how it will effect individual markets let alone stations. The announcement does not say all 2D, XS, IE and resi SO is going to Ground. That isn't realistic. Let's see what happens in GSO and find out the impact. Let's find out the next market(s).

FedEx started FXG and no one was moved to PT. FedEx stopped delivering Amazon and no one was laid off or forced PT. Hiring will slow to prevent having too many people and some work will be moved around. Eventually, the trucks will be filled with other packages.

And FedEx will be more profitable - more money for raises, facilities, and stakeholders.

Rich13

I have been with the company 5yrs so I’m not sure what has happened in the passed but I just see negative things. Hope your right

MAKAVELI

I don’t think so. Some thought that when FedEx Ground started. Looking at the chart Makaveli posted Pharma and signature required packages are excluded. The announcement says it will be select packages and lists matching criteria. It will be determined by the origin location and the destination zip code.

FedEx does not want empty Express trucks. They want to fill them with higher yielding packages. It may not happen immediately and there will be a drop in volume once your market is included, but there are more business packages out there to be had.

No one really knows how it will effect individual markets let alone stations. The announcement does not say all 2D, XS, IE and resi SO is going to Ground. That isn't realistic. Let's see what happens in GSO and find out the impact. Let's find out the next market(s).

FedEx started FXG and no one was moved to PT. FedEx stopped delivering Amazon and no one was laid off or forced PT. Hiring will slow to prevent having too many people and some work will be moved around. Eventually, the trucks will be filled with other packages.

And FedEx will be more profitable - more money for raises, facilities, and stakeholders.
You're definitely more optimistic than most. Express was Fred's baby and now at the end of his career he's now starting to gut it. With the 2% raise, ending of portable for new hires and now this, the future isn't too bright for Express employees.

bacha29

"What A Fool Believes".....The Doobie Brothers....Going to be a lot of fun for high mileage rural contractors hauling delivery deadline sensitive Express boxes for the e-commerce rate.

HedleyLamarr

None of this should be a surprise. All corporations are doing everything they can to make stockholders happy; this isn't a FedEx problem, it's a corporate America problem.

That being said, this news has bummed me out because, sigh, I love my job. I love working outside, driving, being on my own, and the exercise I get being a courier. Everyday, I feel blessed having this job.

Sure, I could go to UPS, but honestly, I don't think I could physically handle the workload. My avatar is a guy, but I am actually a 41 year old lady and weigh in at a whopping 130lbs. Dragging 75 lb boxes up a bunch of stairs at an apartment complex on regular basis would kill me. Especially in the humid Southeastern summers. My asthma gets bad also in the heat and humidity. Just thinking about those package cars with no A\C makes me nervous.

Ground drivers in the part of Alabama I live in only make $120 a day and 10+ hour work days are common. I don't believe any contractors around here over any benefits either. Unfortunately, I need health insurance.

Last edited: