Brownbailout

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
sorry, mrfedex. yes, i am a ground ic and proud of it. sorry you can't say the same of your own position. if ups wanted to level the playing field they could start using ic's too

Yes, you are certainly a stooge for Ground. Even suggesting that UPS go to IC's is a pretty ignorant statement...do you really think that could happen?

As I've explained many times, FedEx used to be a company anyone could be proud to work for. But to be proud of it now doesn't make much sense in view of the way they do business. It doesn't speak highly of your character that you are so proud of what you do and who you do it for.

Are you proud of the way Fred has been acting lately? Frankly, he's a freaking embarassment who is doing an excellent job of making both himself and his company look foolish. Since you support Smith unconditionally, I'm guessing you agree with his pathetic and desperate tactics. Perhaps you could walk around town with a sandwich board proclaiming your support for our Fearless Leader? Maybe you can organize some of your employees or call-up the GOP and have them picket the local UPS center because they are getting a "bailout". Don't insult my (or their) intelligence any longer, OK? Jeesuz...

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam get a grip level playing field,fred is like someone who lost his toys (republicans).he had his fun for long enough ...playing field...let the employees join the teamsters and lets see fred pay the increases that the drivers deserve..i am surprised at an ic trying to defend fedex and mr smith while he has screwed the i'cs for long enough and has made millions off the back of you all.
lol david, really, if the union wants to make in-roads at fedex then they really need to start using different language. "making millions on the backs of...blah, blah, blah" that's 70's talk. the fact of the matter is that "making money on the backs of ...(fill in the blank)" is simply capitalism. so if you think that kind of dribble will influence any half decent ic, think again. fedex is an opportunity where people can make of it as they will. and maybe that makes me one of fred's "stooges" or maybe it makes me an innovative capitalistic entrepeneuer. God forbid we have any of those left in America:happy2:

bbsam

Staff member
mrfedex, "Jesus". if you want to take the Lord's name in vain at least spell it correctly. 'Zounds! (look it up)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
mrfedex, "Jesus". if you want to take the Lord's name in vain at least spell it correctly. 'Zounds! (look it up)

Sigh. Haven't you ever heard the expression written as "Jeesuz.."? It means exasperation(look it up) with someone who can't figure something simple out. Kind of like "doh!!" with Homer Simpson.Perhaps if you had ever worked for Express you wouldn't be such an apologist for the company.

I'm happy you are the wealthy little bastion of capitalism with your Ground empire, but you really don't understand what's been happening at Express. There are plenty of employees just like me who are quite unhappy with long-term conditions and pay. That's finally about to change.

So why don't you and your sister FEATW write all of those nice form letters to your Senators in behalf of Fred so he can keep right on doing what he's been doing for 36 years and counting....operating with a special advantage that's been paid for out of my back pocket.

In a way, you do the same thing with your drivers. I know that it's their choice to work for you, but don't you ever feel guilty about the way your business is set-up? Maybe you don't do this, but please explain to me how it's fair to flat-rate my local Ground driver at $650 per week when he puts-in about 65 hrs a week? And there are plenty of other multiple IC's that do the same thing. How about OT? Do your people get it?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
lol david, really, if the union wants to make in-roads at fedex then they really need to start using different language. "making millions on the backs of...blah, blah, blah" that's 70's talk. the fact of the matter is that "making money on the backs of ...(fill in the blank)" is simply capitalism. so if you think that kind of dribble will influence any half decent ic, think again. fedex is an opportunity where people can make of it as they will. and maybe that makes me one of fred's "stooges" or maybe it makes me an innovative capitalistic entrepeneuer. God forbid we have any of those left in America:happy2:

If you call-in to Rush, maybe he'll put you on as an example of an oppressed entrepreneur. I'm guessing Sarah Palin will be your choice for the GOP in 2012. Please put her on the ticket!!!!

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Got an email from retireerel today, stating that Atlanta had been swamped by calls, letters, etc. from UPSers past and present clamoring for action on this. Lots of us remember the PR debacle of 1997 and don't want that repeated. Linked to feedback pages to send our thoughts to Scott and the rest of the big boys.

Me, I personally think Fred is engaged in this to distract from the earnings call coming up. Threatening to cancel his Boeing contract tells me he is desperate to deflect attention away from his shrinking market share. Even if the legislation passes, it is a long, tough slog for any organizing effort, even under the NLRB. That's why organized labor is so hot to trot for card check, remember?

Either Fred has the package volume to use the airplanes, or he doesn't. Getting his hub workers and couriers classed under the NLRB isn't going to change that. Me, I think he doesn't have the volume, and this campaign is the shiny thing to pull the financial analysts' eyes away from the facts. Just like burying a 1.2 billion dollar writeoff deep in his SEC filings. (See Motley Fool)

bbsam

Staff member
Sigh. Haven't you ever heard the expression written as "Jeesuz.."? It means exasperation(look it up) with someone who can't figure something simple out. Kind of like "doh!!" with Homer Simpson.Perhaps if you had ever worked for Express you wouldn't be such an apologist for the company.

I'm happy you are the wealthy little bastion of capitalism with your Ground empire, but you really don't understand what's been happening at Express. There are plenty of employees just like me who are quite unhappy with long-term conditions and pay. That's finally about to change.

So why don't you and your sister FEATW write all of those nice form letters to your Senators in behalf of Fred so he can keep right on doing what he's been doing for 36 years and counting....operating with a special advantage that's been paid for out of my back pocket.

In a way, you do the same thing with your drivers. I know that it's their choice to work for you, but don't you ever feel guilty about the way your business is set-up? Maybe you don't do this, but please explain to me how it's fair to flat-rate my local Ground driver at $650 per week when he puts-in about 65 hrs a week? And there are plenty of other multiple IC's that do the same thing. How about OT? Do your people get it?
had you bother to look up 'Zounds you would have known that i am well aware of the "Jeezus" exclamation. but no matter. no, i do not feel guilty. not in the least. i do not overburden my drivers for one simple reason. if i overload them and they can't get the route done, upon whom does it reflect? who wins if the packages do not get delivered? who wins if i have to continuously train new drivers to replace burned out ones? not me. as for writing "little form letters", i don't think for a moment it's effective or required. regardless of anyones personal impression of fred, we may as well come to the realization that he plays hardball and though he may lose this battle or that battle, he and the board of directors have a plan b in the works. i believe that i as an ic i may stand to benefit in one way or another. so in the long run, fred's battles mean little to me personally. only positioning myself and my business to grow. if that means providing health care, then so be it. if it means paying overtime, then perhaps i will do more in the area of route engineering. and if it means a merger of ground and express with the implementation of the contractor model all the better. just as you want to improve your situation, so too do i look for opportunities to do the same.

bbsam

Staff member
If you call-in to Rush, maybe he'll put you on as an example of an oppressed entrepreneur. I'm guessing Sarah Palin will be your choice for the GOP in 2012. Please put her on the ticket!!!!
i am half african-american half swede from the land of lincoln. though i am not a fan of unions and i think the employee free trade act swings things way too far to the left, i at the tender age of 40 voted with pride for my fellow illinoisan with no regrets. and before you continue to disparage me with your rush, sarah, hannity, any further, perhaps you could look into the middle of the road approach to efta. his makes sense to me. so please stop with the silly bush like inference that "you're either with us or against us" blather.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
i am half african-american half swede from the land of lincoln. though i am not a fan of unions and i think the employee free trade act swings things way too far to the left, i at the tender age of 40 voted with pride for my fellow illinoisan with no regrets. and before you continue to disparage me with your rush, sarah, hannity, any further, perhaps you could look into the middle of the road approach to efta. his makes sense to me. so please stop with the silly bush like inference that "you're either with us or against us" blather.

There's hope for you yet. I agree with you that there is a Plan B in the works if Fred loses. He isn't through by any means....I just wonder how low he'll go before he throws in the towel. Your views on unions would seem to put you in the GOP camp, not the Dems.

As someone who is half African-American, how do you feel about FedEx and race? They don't have the best track record, although they do seem to be trying to make-up for the past. At Express, they've gone the Affirmative Action route, especially since they settled the Black/Latino suit out of court in California 2 years ago.

satellitedriver

I like this line from the page leading up to the blog on brownbailout.com :

Have any thoughts? Let us know what you think about this greedy move to buy a bailout.
I love these opening paragraphs on the home page;
The green comments are mine.
UPS Lobbies Congress for Bailout

United Parcel Service – the 100-year-old company that operated for decades as a parcel-delivery monopoly –Huh? Monopoly? USPS is the only delivery service mandated in the Constitution and has held that position long before UPS.
UPS is quietly seeking- Formal filings of open public documents is not quietly seeking. a Congressional bailout designed to limit competition for overnight deliveries, leaving Americans with a less reliable next-day delivery network for critical goods like medicines and essential inventory.Prove this false statement, with fact. I truly doubt that Fedex has a better service record for next day deliveries.
This is a bailout,You keep using the word bailout. I think you do not know the meaning of the word. plain and simple, and the American people won't stand for it.
Fedex is the one that is going to bailout of their planes,due to the competition.

Gee, ya think they're trying to tell people what to think?

thom1842

In our recent PCM we were shown the "whiteboard" video that FedEx put together and were briefed on the situation in case customers ask about it. My sup did say one interesting thing, that FedEx's earnings were down 70%, is this true? That is a hell of a decrease and might explain some of this aggressive campaigning.

I wrote my politicians about the issue, so I fell good about doing my part.

Sorry if this is ignorant, but what sort of subsidies does FedEx receive as a member of the RLA?

satellitedriver

I blogged this and wonder if they will post it?

I love these opening paragraphs on the "bailout" home page;
The closed ie;(comments) are mine.

UPS Lobbies Congress for Bailout

United Parcel Service – the 100-year-old company that operated for decades as a parcel-delivery monopoly

(–Huh? Monopoly? USPS is the only delivery service mandated in the Constitution and has held that position long before UPS.)

UPS is quietly seeking-

(Formal filings of open public documents is not quietly seeking.)

a Congressional bailout designed to limit competition for overnight deliveries, leaving Americans with a less reliable next-day delivery network for critical goods like medicines and essential inventory.

(Prove this false statement, with fact. I truly doubt that Fedex has a better service record for next day deliveries.)

This is a bailout,

(You keep using the word "bailout". I think you do not know the meaning of the word.)
plain and simple, and the American people won't stand for it.

(Fedex is the one that is going to "bailout" of buying their new planes,due to the competition and the lack of volume.)

As a side note:
This statement is Fedex's Achilles heel.
United Parcel Service – the 100-year-old company that operated for decades as a parcel-delivery monopoly.

First,
it is a false statement.
Secondly,
it is an admission that Fedex is in direct competition with a parcel delivery company, yet demands to be treated under a different set of rules.
Thirdly,
UPS has more airplanes, but has to be treated like it was a railroad/truck freight company.

Sorry Fred,
You are just moving parcels.
It does not matter if they are moved by truck, train or plane.

yurgref

In our recent PCM we were shown the "whiteboard" video that FedEx put together and were briefed on the situation in case customers ask about it. My sup did say one interesting thing, that FedEx's earnings were down 70%, is this true? That is a hell of a decrease and might explain some of this aggressive campaigning.

Found this at Business Week to confirm your inquiry

Fed-Ex Anti Union Drive

govols019

You smell that?
FedEx said revenues in the quarter ending Feb. 28 fell 14%, to $8.14 billion, with income plunging 72%, to $182 million. FedEx Express was a particularly dark spot, where operating profits dropped 90%. Meanwhile, at UPS, revenue in the quarter ended Mar. 31 fell 14% to $10.9 billion, with operating profits down 20%, to $718 million.

90%? Wow.

airbusfxr

FDX is an airline with trucks, UPS is a trucking company with airplanes, if UPS would have addressed this 20 years ago there would be no problem. As usual UPS is a day late no matter what the issue is. If UPS attacked ever problem when it was small it would not snowball. MD11 domestic, mechanics contract, etc etc.

pretzel_man

FDX is an airline with trucks, UPS is a trucking company with airplanes, if UPS would have addressed this 20 years ago there would be no problem. As usual UPS is a day late no matter what the issue is. If UPS attacked ever problem when it was small it would not snowball. MD11 domestic, mechanics contract, etc etc.

You are assuming that UPS has done nothing for 20 years....

UPS tried many things in this area. None have been as successful as the current drive. We have a "perfect storm" for succeeding this time.

FedEx is distracted by the Independent Contractor issue, the RLA issue, severely reduced profits and cash flow. We also have a democratic controlled legislature and executive branch.

P-Man

P

pickup

If fed ex can threaten to sue ups over a claim in their advertising maybe ups can sue them for having an officially sanctioned(i'll check to see if fed ex is indeed sanctioning it after I post) website that libels ups calling legislation a bailout for ups.

On another note,(this relates to another good post that I can't find) , ups is keeping low key on this. Could it be that the votes are already counted and both ups and fed ex know which way it will already go if no extreme pressure is applied to the situation, that is fed ex will lose their exemption. Fed ex employees can write their senators and that will get cancelled out by ups employees calling their senators. This website that fed ex created might be an attempt to engage the general american public to pressure a few senators to vote differently. I guess they figured to connect american disgust with corporate bailouts with ups by calling it a bailout. While I would like to think that people are too smart to fall for this, it has been demonstrated in the past that people are dumb in droves and can and will fall for anything. That much being said, I don't see fed ex gaining any ground with the way they are conducting their campaign. They could have done this a lot better by presenting their version of the truth in a different fashion than under the umbrella of a "bailout" . Hell, why don't they call accuse ups of mass child sacrifices and rape while they are at it?

final note: if there are any technologically creative people out there, perhaps they can create a website of their own (as opposed to two threads) that brings the fight back to fed ex in the very same manner that they initiated. Fedexfailout.com, nah... but you get my point. Just the facts and if it gets out of hand, censor the heck out of them unless they want to open their board up.