Build a mosque...

moreluck

golden ticket member
I saw an interview with an older (in her sixties) Muslim lady and she said her Koran teaches sensitivity to other people and other religions. She said she thought the Imam wanting to raise a mosque at ground zero was wrong and insensitive to the surviving families. (of course she's probably scheduled to be stoned to death next week)

I notice that there are no protests over building a Catholic church near the site of the Murrah federal building in Oklahoma despite it being the religion of the terrorist that took that building down.

On the topic of the Mosque, we can just get even by building twin tower office buildings that will rise above the skyline in downtown Kaaba.

av8torntn

There's a difference between saying that no church can be built at a site, and saying that no muslim church can be built at a site.
I'm not denying that similar things have happened in the past, I'm saying that discriminating on the basis of religion is a first amendment issue.

OK it seemed there was an implication that the government has ever denied a Christian church from being built. I would disagree with that.

over9five

Staff member
Who are you to say they're not valid? I'm just tired of people pulling and editing posts that they don't necessarily agree with.

Shouldn't the people that run the site be allowed to decide what can and cannot be posted? You could always start your own website and post whatever you want.

The reason I bring up Teamsternet is because there is ZERO moderation over there. You can post anything.

Sorry, I for one am sick of the complainers. We have one poster who talks down everyone, and then comes whining to the Mods whenever anyone calls him a mean name. Honestly, we've probably received 10 complaints from him every couple days. I think he should go to Teamsternet too.

Brown Cafe is an awesome site. If you don't like the rules, leave.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
OK it seemed there was an implication that the government has ever denied a Christian church from being built. I would disagree with that.
If there has ever been a case where the government prohibited a christian church from being built specifically because it was a christian church (ie, another religion's church would have been ok), and that prohibition was upheld by the courts, that would be a very interesting (and very germane) precedent.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Shouldn't the people that run the site be allowed to decide what can and cannot be posted? You could always start your own website and post whatever you want.

The reason I bring up Teamsternet is because there is ZERO moderation over there. You can post anything.

Sorry, I for one am sick of the complainers. We have one poster who talks down everyone, and then comes whining to the Mods whenever anyone calls him a mean name. Honestly, we've probably received 10 complaints from him every couple days. I think he should go to Teamsternet too.

Why you gotta go bustin me out like that? What happened to confidentiality? Some impartial mod you are.....

moreluck

golden ticket member
I heard someone mention on TV that a Catholic church that nuns wanted to build near a concentration camp was shot down also.

av8torntn

If there has ever been a case where the government prohibited a Christian church from being built specifically because it was a christian church (ie, another religion's church would have been ok), and that prohibition was upheld by the courts, that would be a very interesting (and very germane) precedent.

Obviously more common before 2000.

Scientology

With Lexisnexis link

Methodist lose zoning fight

Presbyterian This is a fairly interesting decision.

Anyhow I never said they should zone out Muslims so you can save your energy but I think that even though the 2000 law made it more difficult it still seems very possible for a city to have a church free zone. I'd like to add that zoning has been changed after a church bought property as well as variance denied to zoning for churches to existing property. There are also plenty of wins for the church side so it could be an interesting legal fight as only a couple cases(that I found) made it all the way through the court system.

bbsam

Staff member
I heard someone mention on TV that a Catholic church that nuns wanted to build near a concentration camp was shot down also.

I don't think it was exactly shot down. The Pope was appealed to by Jewish groups and the Pope decided to move the site of the church. Far different than the state imposing religious criteria for a structure.

wkmac

At the core, I truly believe that organized religion poses as much of a threat to freedom as does any Statist system, and for one underlying reason: in both cases, one set of people have deemed themselves superior to, and thus having the right to control, another set of people. In the same way that we recognize that it’s not valid for the State to extrapolate authority over others from the constitution, or some ethereal ‘social contract’, I think that organized religion is ripe for a revolution of it’s own: where people begin to separate their beliefs from the churches, mosques, and temples that would seek power over them.

No Gods, No Masters

moreluck

golden ticket member
I noticed that the ad after my post was dating for Muslim singles showing girls in head garb.......if they stray from dating within their religion, they'll be shot to death!

mech1

We do need moderators not state run media!I agree that certain content should be reviewed,such as vulgar language.But some of the stuff you edit is just ridiculous.I feel like I'am living in china.pretty soon you guys will be writing the posts for us.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Wow, a member since August 2010 and you're ready to run the place........wait a minute, that's this month isn't it ??

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
We do need moderators not state run media!I agree that certain content should be reviewed,such as vulgar language.But some of the stuff you edit is just ridiculous.I feel like I'am living in china.pretty soon you guys will be writing the posts for us.
Boorish behavior degrades the level of discussion, demeans the other members and undermines the credibility of the entire community. If you can't post without profanity or making personal attacks then this is not the forum for you.

The difference between that type of spontaneous verbal venting and posting on a public internet forum is that here it is likely that your words will be read by a couple of hundred people of varying sensibilities and life experience. When you post here think of it as if you are speaking into a microphone to a large and diverse audience from all walks of life. Would you have chosen to make the personal attacks you made on another member here if you were speaking in a public place, face to face with hundreds of people? I doubt it...

Your infraction was given on 8/11 so all of your posts will be diverted to the moderation queue until 8/21. I realize that you find that frustrating but that's the way we do it around here. Think of it as a cooling off period.

P

pickup

Fine , the government officials have no problem letting this be built, so be it. If a certain group of investors want to open a "Pig shack" restaurant in the same area with all dishes made of pork next door to the ,mosque, I hope that these same government officials would not listen to the owners of the mosque as they complain that the pig shack should not be in the same area as a mosque.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Fine , the government officials have no problem letting this be built, so be it. If a certain group of investors want to open a "Pig shack" restaurant in the same area with all dishes made of pork next door to the ,mosque, I hope that these same government officials would not listen to the owners of the mosque as they complain that the pig shack should not be in the same area as a mosque.

That's it !! I'm opening a dog groomers right next door !!

I will invest in those if someone wants to build them...he he. :devil3:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
A strip club,especially a gay one,would also be an option if one were so inclined to open a business.

Here ya go! :wink2:

Greg Gutfeld To Open A Gay Bar Next To Ground Zero Mosque To Cater To “Islamic Gay Men”

“So, the Muslim investors championing the construction of the new mosque near Ground Zero claim it’s all about strengthening the relationship between the Muslim and non-Muslim world.
As an American, I believe they have every right to build the mosque – after all, if they buy the land and they follow the law – who can stop them?
Which is, why, in the spirit of outreach, I’ve decided to do the same thing.
I’m announcing tonight, that I am planning to build and open the first gay bar that caters not only to the west, but also Islamic gay men. To best express my sincere desire for dialogue, the bar will be situated next to the mosque Park51, in an available commercial space.
This is not a joke. I’ve already spoken to a number of investors, who have pledged their support in this bipartisan bid for understanding and tolerance.