Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

IsItME

There's no easy answer. When I stated desperate, I was referring to their quest to impress the Street by getting employees out of there. Personally, I feel the couriers should be given a buyout offer due to the value they've provided to the company and the fact they will most likely suffer the most in the companies future. However, there are so many people sitting around doing nothing for a salary larger and it appears the company has identified this. When they reveal the new structure, it will be clear to those who need to take a buyout immediately. This says so much about the future of the American worker's future. It's a shame.

Rhoderunner

A few vets I've talk to would take the buyout. Use that 2 year salary payment and ride it to full retirement or in some cases to 55 and collect the pension most have accumulated before it was yanked. I think the bullcrap level is so high now people just want out and are willing to gamble a bit. It is a gamble in reality. Do you pass on this offer then risk getting 3 quick letters and railroaded out the door with nothin or take the money and run !?!!?

IsItME

A few vets I've talk to would take the buyout. Use that 2 year salary payment and ride it to full retirement or in some cases to 55 and collect the pension most have accumulated before it was yanked. I think the bullcrap level is so high now people just want out and are willing to gamble a bit. It is a gamble in reality. Do you pass on this offer then risk getting 3 quick letters and railroaded out the door with nothin or take the money and run !?!!?
This is a great point. You could work for another 6 months, have your hours cut and/or get terminated. Then what? There's risk on both sides. I respect either decision but I'd take the money and run. In fact, I'm going to do so.

bbsam

Staff member
I know many have said it can't be done, but I'm surprised they wouldn't find a way to transfer drivers from Express to Ground and make it attractive for Ground contractors to hire them.

IsItME

I know many have said it can't be done, but I'm surprised they wouldn't find a way to transfer drivers from Express to Ground and make it attractive for Ground contractors to hire them.
That's visionary thinking. It would provide long term stability for those positions. They refuse to release information but maybe this is a long term option. I have a pretty high up HR source and I can't get anything tangible out of her yet and I've beat on her ear pretty good hoping for one. The one thing I do know is there aren't any real numbers in terms of how many they will let leave. It's a fluid situation and they are very flexible. If they can dump us and it works for them, they will do it. They want the show for the Street.

vantexan

Maybe they would offer a financial incentive to resign from Express and work for Ground? And if they suddenly had a rash of 3 warning letters and you're out it would most likely result in a huge class action lawsuit. And the fired employees would still get unemployment. Layoffs would involve the least senior and unemployment, might as well offer a buyout. Knew a courier who went to Freight. He was required to resign from Express and go through the hiring process at Freight. With the RLA doubtful it could be done anyways. I certainly don't blame anyone for taking it, but when push comes to shove the better paid employees with 5 weeks of vacation are going to hang on for the most part. Especially if they have mortgages, car notes, kids in college, credit card debt. If they are lucky enough to live in an area with good opportunities for people in their 50's, maybe. If they have minimal financial requirements, have savings in the bank, are close to their pension starting, very possible. My bet is on those that have 10+ years with no hope of catching top-out. They are most likely to be willing to take the chance as they have little to lose. Especially if in their 30's with no or very small children and a spouse working.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe they would offer a financial incentive to resign from Express and work for Ground? And if they suddenly had a rash of 3 warning letters and you're out it would most likely result in a huge class action lawsuit. And the fired employees would still get unemployment. Layoffs would involve the least senior and unemployment, might as well offer a buyout. Knew a courier who went to Freight. He was required to resign from Express and go through the hiring process at Freight. With the RLA doubtful it could be done anyways. I certainly don't blame anyone for taking it, but when push comes to shove the better paid employees with 5 weeks of vacation are going to hang on for the most part. Especially if they have mortgages, car notes, kids in college, credit card debt. If they are lucky enough to live in an area with good opportunities for people in their 50's, maybe. If they have minimal financial requirements, have savings in the bank, are close to their pension starting, very possible. My bet is on those that have 10+ years with no hope of catching top-out. They are most likely to be willing to take the chance as they have little to lose. Especially if in their 30's with no or very small children and a spouse working.

As Dandy Don Meredith used to say, " If if's and buts were candy and nuts, what a Merry Christmas we'd all have". I think all of us should remember that Fred doesn't ever do us any favors. Whatever is cheapest for him is the way he will go. Ethics, morals, the "right thing to do"...forget about it. If he can force people out the door, he'll do that first, and there's more he can do to make this sheet job even sheetier.

IsItME

As Dandy Don Meredith used to say, " If if's and buts were candy and nuts, what a Merry Christmas we'd all have". I think all of us should remember that Fred doesn't ever do us any favors. Whatever is cheapest for him is the way he will go. Ethics, morals, the "right thing to do"...forget about it. If he can force people out the door, he'll do that first, and there's more he can do to make this sheet job even sheetier.
Anyone thinking the buyout is a generous offer is suffering from a severe case of stupidity. The buyouts reduce unemployment claims and lawsuits. The employees hate the company and in many cases won't leave without a fight. This prevents the fight.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Anyone thinking the buyout is a generous offer is suffering from a severe case of stupidity. The buyouts reduce unemployment claims and lawsuits. The employees hate the company and in many cases won't leave without a fight. This prevents the fight.

I hope you are right. Fred, you can send me my check NOW if you'd like.

IsItME

I hope you are right. Fred, you can send me my check NOW if you'd like.
I'd leave tomorrow if I had an offer. Screw May 31st, this has been an experience that was mostly miserable. I came here thinking this was a real company with a real career. It's been a warzone that changed my thinking on corporate America forever. I'm ready to go.

vantexan

Who is thinking it's a generous offer?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'd leave tomorrow if I had an offer. Screw May 31st, this has been an experience that was mostly miserable. I came here thinking this was a real company with a real career. It's been a warzone that changed my thinking on corporate America forever. I'm ready to go.

You and everyone else.

bbsam

Staff member
Offer the drivers a path to Ground. Those who don't take it can't really collect unemployment if offered a similar paying position, can they?

vantexan

There's the right thing to do, then there is the law. There is legal precedent. Have you not noticed all the little things that FedEx has required us to do differently? I've heard quite a few mgrs say it's due to lawsuits in California. Fact is they can't layoff senior employees and keep low paid employees. They'd end up paying each of the laid off several hundred thousand most likely. Same goes for torturing people into quitting. Think things exist in a vacuum? Who would work for FedEx or buy their stock once it gets out they are making people take 5 hr splits with no split pay and only 7 hrs on the clock? People would have to be out of their minds to work for such a company. About all they can do is work us 35 hrs a week and take away what few benefits we have left. By the way I have to work about 42hrs and 20 mins to make what a topped out employee makes on 35 on the lowest payscale. And I don't get that many hours. So who's worse off? The mid-range employees, many of whom have worked many years for squat. So in the who would take the buyout scenario I'll stick with my prediction that it'll primarily be 10-18 year employees who've been completely, totally shafted.

vantexan

Offer the drivers a path to Ground. Those who don't take it can't really collect unemployment if offered a similar paying position, can they?

Offered to leave a regular employee with benefits position to work for a contractor? Whatchew been smokin' Willis?

overflowed

I agree with this statement, whatever saves more pennies that's what It will do.

MAKAVELI

That theory doesn't make sense. We are different opco, remember? Freddy has done everything in his power to keep us separate and the Teamsters out. He can't have his cake and eat it too. Besides, Ground drivers are not FedEx employees. So try another theory to screw us, why don't you?

IsItME

That theory doesn't make sense. We are different opco , remember? Freddy has done everything in his power to keep us separate and the Teamsters out. He can't have his cake and eat it too. Besides, Ground drivers are not FedEx employees. So try another theory to screw us, why don't you?
I hear you. It does seem like they could open up a special pathway for those that realize the party is over and still want to remain with the company. Remember, the company rewrites the rules for themselves, never for us. So if it solves a couple problems for them, they'd do it. I don't think it would happen at all (0% chance) but it still makes some sense.