Can UPS fire a driver for not knowing Ketter verbatim?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
how about the fact that the different points that they want us to know actually change from time to time, just like the different aspects of yard control..it was four points, then eight, now who knows. If you want someone to remember the stuff, fine , but stop changing things from this to that. Everybody has different memorization skills and some can remember something then when put on the spot cant remember nothing. Some can recite a whole book....

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Alright, lets cut the crap.

First off, why do you think most UPS drivers drive trucks, instead of performing brain or heart surgery, teach school, practice law, or other professions that require additional education?

While I know we have drs and lawyers and school teachers and others with photographic memories that do drive our trucks, the majority are not gifted scholars. Mind you, they are smart.

I am one of those. I am a visual person. I can not tell you verbally how to spell a word, but I can write it down for you all day long. Just a learning issue I have had to deal with all my life. BUt you compensate.

I agree with UPS in that the drivers need to know the concept of what is being taught. But being able to recite it verbatim does not accomplish one thing. I can name several UPS employees that can do it verbatim, and within the hour will be violating half, and walking on a moving conveyor belt to boot. But they can spout off exactly what UPS wants to hear.

So yes, if you know what the concept is that UPS is trying to teach that should be good enough. To expect 100% perfect regurgitation verbatim serves no purpose except to make the auditor's job a little easier.

d

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Alright, lets cut the crap.

First off, why do you think most UPS drivers drive trucks, instead of performing brain or heart surgery, teach school, practice law, or other professions that require additional education?

While I know we have drs and lawyers and school teachers and others with photographic memories that do drive our trucks, the majority are not gifted scholars. Mind you, they are smart.

I am one of those. I am a visual person. I can not tell you verbally how to spell a word, but I can write it down for you all day long. Just a learning issue I have had to deal with all my life. BUt you compensate.

I agree with UPS in that the drivers need to know the concept of what is being taught. But being able to recite it verbatim does not accomplish one thing. I can name several UPS employees that can do it verbatim, and within the hour will be violating half, and walking on a moving conveyor belt to boot. But they can spout off exactly what UPS wants to hear.

So yes, if you know what the concept is that UPS is trying to teach that should be good enough. To expect 100% perfect regurgitation verbatim serves no purpose except to make the auditor's job a little easier.

d

I often use this analogy: Most people cannot tell you every single muscle function that it takes for them to take a breath of air, but they are able to breathe without thinking about it. I can't puke on-demand their 10-point commentary or the filler that they include about imaginary dart-boards when reciting the five seeing habits, but my collection of safe-driving pins and having worked injury-free my entire career tells me (and should tell them) that whatever it is I'm doing out there, its obviously working.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Name

First, congrats on your time without injury or accident. AT UPS, that is truly an accomplishment.

As a side note, we had the head of our safety department a while back die due to an accident in a feeder.

I am sure he could recite safety back-wards and for-wards, as he was Mr. Safety, not only in his position as leader, but in real life issues. He lived, breathed safety, and demonstrated it in all he did. His loss to UPS was great.

So even the most safety conscious person can have a lapse that can cause a serious problem.

d

slantnosechevy

I often use this analogy: Most people cannot tell you every single muscle function that it takes for them to take a breath of air, but they are able to breathe without thinking about it. I can't puke on-demand their 10-point commentary or the filler that they include about imaginary dart-boards when reciting the five seeing habits, but my collection of safe-driving pins and having worked injury-free my entire career tells me (and should tell them) that whatever it is I'm doing out there, its obviously working.

+1
That's the best analogy yet.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Only one problem with that analogy. Breathing is an automatic function. IT does not have to be taught.

Now, where it does bear a resemblance to UPS is that when born, if an infant does not start breathing, they are the subject of intense scrutiny, and usually get their behinds beaten until they do.:wink2:

d

ibshines

Only one problem with that analogy. Breathing is an automatic function. IT does not have to be taught.

Now, where it does bear a resemblance to UPS is that when born, if an infant does not start breathing, they are the subject of intense scrutiny, and usually get their behinds beaten until they do.:wink2:

d
I dont post often ,but that was funny