career path: management or driving?

20_years_in

...Besides, when an email is found from a DM detailing how they need to 'thin the herd', then say it doesn't exist- that is a lie...

I saw this printed email with my own eyes, so this is true! The center manager or DM have not yet denied that this printed email exists, though. I think they got wise to the fact that copies were made. Bottom line with this email is that running 2.00 hours or more over allowed is just too slow. I do everything by the book and I average .60 hours over.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I saw this printed email with my own eyes, so this is true! The center manager or DM have not yet denied that this printed email exists, though. I think they got wise to the fact that copies were made. Bottom line with this email is that running 2.00 hours or more over allowed is just too slow. I do everything by the book and I average .60 hours over.
First, 2 hours out is too slow.....then 1 hour .......then half an hour.......then .25 ........then anything less than scratch is too much. This is always how it starts, pick the low hanging fruit first and then start reaching as high as possible.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
upssalesguy,

Generally speaking lying is a chronic problem among UPS management employees.

Sincerely,
I

first, your alias is lame.

second, sorry your have such a jaded look at your work life.

third - you know what, maybe three management people? i deal with management everyday and most are honest, truthful, and hardworking. you don't get to see that because there are silo's built up between management and hourly. it's sad

menotyou

bella amicizia
first, your alias is lame.second, sorry your have such a jaded look at your work life.third - you know what, maybe three management people? i deal with management everyday and most are honest, truthful, and hardworking. you don't get to see that because there are silo's built up between management and hourly. it's sad
Who are you to judge his alias?I know more managers than I can count, and about 3 are honorable.

whiskey

I can only speak for package, where, metaphorically speaking, you are hit over the head with a two by four every morning. However, I have been privvy to behind closed doors, verbal abuse by a center manager to his entire team. I was filling out an accident report at the time and shared the same room. On a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst, the verbal abuse was a ten. So, chose your poison.

TheKid

Let me put it this way. I made about $85K last year and felt I was well compensated for what I did. If I were to go into management I would need to make about twice that to feel the same way. And (at least in my local) we have a much, much, much better benefits pkg. than they do. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

DS

Fenderbender
i deal with management everyday and most are honest, truthful, and hardworking. you don't get to see that because there are silo's built up between management and hourly. it's sad

So you see the problem yet shut your eyes to the legitimate issues that we bring up here.
We may just "deliver boxes" but there is a human element that you never get to see.
over dispatching,cutting routes and Software problems,are all our problem.
Sure we can text a message and wait forever for an answer,or use our own cell phones to call the center.
If a customer needs a half hour it 's up to us to make it work.
You have no idea what we go through to keep our customers happy,in spite of the negativity
we have to put up with.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I can only speak for package, where, metaphorically speaking, you are hit over the head with a two by four every morning. However, I have been privvy to behind closed doors, verbal abuse by a center manager to his entire team. I was filling out an accident report at the time and shared the same room. On a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst, the verbal abuse was a ten. So, chose your poison.
I agree. I spent a year inside as a porter, and I overheard enough conference calls to actually give me a measure of sympathy for local level management.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
So you see the problem yet shut your eyes to the legitimate issues that we bring up here.
We may just "deliver boxes" but there is a human element that you never get to see.
over dispatching,cutting routes and Software problems,are all our problem.
Sure we can text a message and wait forever for an answer,or use our own cell phones to call the center.
If a customer needs a half hour it 's up to us to make it work.
You have no idea what we go through to keep our customers happy,in spite of the negativity
we have to put up with.

you are obviously the backbone and intial face of the company, but you really, really need to get off your high horse. it is NOT all your problem. there is a human element to every job function at the company. we all play a role. you should stop looking at sales people as people who just want leads and start looking at us as account manager who get paid based on growth. i'm customer facing too. if you can't quickly fix the issue, who do they call next? upssalespeople.

you are not over dispatched, you are just being told to work harder and to an extent, that hard work is keeping us profitable. wow - we are in it to make a dime. are you willing to take a paycut so the truck next to you can go out 1/4 full?

what kills me is when i walk the boxline and talk to my drivers, i don't get the negativity that i see on here. as a management person, you are constantly forced to defend yourself against a very vocal, and very wrong, minority.

So, besides trying to tell us you aren't Tie, what does your comment have to do with anything? The managers I am speaking of are in NY- not BC.

i'm honored to be lumped in with a true upsers like tieguy. whatever happened to him?

and as far as my comment, it means stop dogging every management person.

Re-Raise

you are not over dispatched, you are just being told to work harder and to an extent, that hard work is keeping us profitable. wow - we are in it to make a dime. are you willing to take a paycut so the truck next to you can go out 1/4 full?

Oh brother here we go again...

You have never moved a package for UPS or you wouldn't be so absolutely clueless.

Please just go get the doughnuts..

BrownArmy

you are not over dispatched, you are just being told to work harder...

And now I know absolutely that you have no idea what you are talking about (insofar as far as the working conditions of drivers).

Believe me guy, nobody's truck is going out 1/4 full.

I believe you when you say that you take care of your customers...here's where UPS doesn't let us take care of your customers:

"Hey, it's actually going to be the hottest day of the year (maybe a record hot day!), so be sure you stay hydrated, and you know, take a break if you feel yourself getting overheated."

"Oh, by the way, we cut the XX-X route, 'cause, you know, it's Friday, so you have an extra 30 commercial stops in an area which is real close to your route, plus a bunch of extra residential stops."

"What's that? Oh, it's sort of close to your route, but it's a logistical nightmare? No problem, here's the part where we just need you to WORK HARDER".

Meaning: businesses get delivered after they get picked up, we criss-cross back and forth all over town just to get all the businesses delivered, schools get missed, we have no time to deliver most of the residential packages (which I guess we don't make any money on) until the end, after the regular pickups (and the extra pickups from the cut-route) are completed, etc.

And you're the guy who wants us to get sales leads, because, we're the face of the company?

Common conversation:

"So you guys can be here the same time every day for the pickup, right?"

"Yes. Absolutely. Unless it's Monday or Friday, in which case it might be the other guy, but he's coming from the other side of town, and sometimes the only time he can get you guys is, you know, an hour before you really want, but it's okay, because on those days, you're probably not going to get your regular delivery until after that, so you probably won't have anything to ship out anyway..."

Lead sold.