Cell Phone Providers

over9five

Staff member

First two lines $80 (40 each), any additional line is $10. Everyone gets unlimited everything, no sharing involved. The only thing is, if you want faster web connection (you get 500mb) you will have to pay addition money for an add on. If you have kids, they also have a great monitoring system to see if they are in school or whatever. So for you three it would be $90 mo. and if you decided you don't like T Mobile, you can walk away free and clear.

Wow, I'd switch today if I could. $90 from TMobile vs $170 from AT&T. No more contracts. No two year commitment.

This is the way I will go in October. When March comes, I'll switch my last phone too.

Thanks for all the info, Gingerkat!!

gingerkat

Then I must have one without that technical stuff you just mentioned.
Most phones that use a lithium battery hide the sim card behind that. Since the iPhone has a built in battery it has to put it elsewhere. It's sort of hidden, assuming your on a GSM network or purchased your iPhone outright from Apple. Look at the outside or edge of your phone, each iPhone version is a little different, so I can't say where you should look. You'll see what is a smooth edge, about 3/4" long with a pinhole, that is where your sim card should be. Just unfold a paperclip and put it in, and your sim card will pop out. This won't cause any damage - but just don't be too forceful.

There is another way to see what your sim card number is, but I have no personal experience to back it up.
Go to: Settings > General > About
Then just scroll down to the ICCID. This is your SIM card number.

Photo on 8-23-13 at 11.36 AM.jpg

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Metro PCS is currently in the process of acquiring the much larger T-Mobile, although the merged company will retain the T-Mobile name and technology. Hence why T-Mobile is abandoning the traditional postpaid format, migrating toward the prepaid one employed by Metro PCS since its inception.

Key an eye out for promotions offered by Metro PCS. This calendar year, they've offered their standard service (unlimited talk, text, web - limits on 4G amount) for $30, as well as a family package of 4 lines for $100. They've also offered an unlimited talk & text (only) plan for $20. All offers include tax and are valid for the life of your phone. I live on the VERY edge of Metro PCS's service, and find their call quality to be excellent. In fact, AT&T and Sprint inconsistently get signals here. 4G is acceptable, equivalent to economy broadband / others' 3G service. Once 4G is depleted, you go to 2G (no 3G at Metro PCS).

- - -

For those looking to save $$$, I always recommend:

Wireless Phone: MetroPCS as discussed above; other prepaid providers will be a better deal than the postpaid you're currently on

Home Phone: netTALK DUO, Magic Jack Plus and OOma will give you one-year unlimited phone with common features like voicemail - compatible with your existing phone - for less than $30/year. Must buy device for $50-$100, but includes first years' service. (These are VOIP services, but will be comparable to a traditional landline if your internet service is decent).

Internet: Most Internet provides offer their lowest-tier service for about $40/month. With speed increases, you really don't need anything stronger -- it'll stream most NetFlix movies in HD without a problem. To save even more, take advantage of 6-month, 9-month or 12-month promotions, rotating between providers. Comcast offered Economy internet only earlier this year for $15/month for the first year, $25/month for the second. (Note: if you have a family relying on streaming media, you'll have to purchase greater speed.)

TV: A set of bunny ears and your Internet service will provide you access to hours of entertainment. You may wish to buy a discounted iTunes gift card or NetFlix subscription if you desire more. Sports fans will need to buy a traditional cable package. For best deals, rotate among your local providers regularly.

over9five

Staff member
Still haven't switched. Waiting for my last phone to come out of contract in 4 weeks....

AT&T just came out with a new deal where you share a data plan among your devices. This without a contract.
Looked into it and it appears to be a scam, or at least dishonest. (They make it seem like you'd save BIG). You might save a little money, but nothing like changing carriers would!

Really hoping I'll be able to knock my cell bill down to $90 from $170. Also really hoping we'll be able to use our current phones.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Still haven't switched. Waiting for my last phone to come out of contract in 4 weeks....

AT&T just came out with a new deal where you share a data plan among your devices. This without a contract.
Looked into it and it appears to be a scam, or at least dishonest. (They make it seem like you'd save BIG). You might save a little money, but nothing like changing carriers would!

Really hoping I'll be able to knock my cell bill down to $90 from $170. Also really hoping we'll be able to use our current phones.
Good luck. As much as I hate that cell phones, & cable/internet service is way over priced, it is what it is, & for now, I'll just keep paying. (About $200 cells, same for cable/internet & home phone)

over9five

Staff member
Crap, doesn't look like I'll switch. We walked into a T-Mobile place (being free from our AT&T contract).

The huge downside is our HTC Vivids are not compatible with T-Mobile. So I'd have to buy two smartphones, and they aint cheap. Of course they'll be happy to let you make monthly payments, but that would make my monthly payments the same as AT&T.

Screwed either way.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Crap, doesn't look like I'll switch. We walked into a T-Mobile place (being free from our AT&T contract).

The huge downside is our HTC Vivids are not compatible with T-Mobile. So I'd have to buy two smartphones, and they aint cheap. Of course they'll be happy to let you make monthly payments, but that would make my monthly payments the same as AT&T.

Screwed either way.
Sucks. It's crazy how much it costs now, but like I said in my last post, it is what it is. My bill just went up. My youngest finally wanted a smartphone. Another $30/month.

pretender

Screwed either way.

http://www.puretalkusa.com

over9five

Staff member
AT&T has a deal today:

IPhone 4S FREE with 2 yr contract.

Everyone wants the 5, so they have to give the 4's away.

Still not biting. My phones work fine, I just want a better deal.

pretender

AT&T has a deal today:

IPhone 4S FREE with 2 yr contract.

Everyone wants the 5, so they have to give the 4's away.

Still not biting. My phones work fine, I just want a better deal.
They may not be the least expensive, but with Pure Talk USA, you can use your ATT phones. The most expensive plan is Unlimited Plus, which includes 1GB of data, for $43.95 per month.

Sent using BrownCafe App

over9five

Staff member
NEW deal from AT&T today. This one I took as it is a "no contract" offer. Also you can use your existing phones.

3 phones, 2 Gigs shared (Looked 6 months back, we've never even hit 1.5) unlimited text and talk for $115/mo.
Taxes and fees a few bucks more, should save $45-$50 a month.