Coast to coast UPS observations

quad decade guy

I go to the west and east coasts(LA to New York). All new hubs look the same. All old hubs look the same. Clone/cookie cutter. California's crappy fake wood veneer counters are exactly the same as New York's etc. Zombie like overnight employees...For the most part, pleasant, helpful, hard working fellow UPSer's. Sure not like here on BC. Safety wise, you see the same bad habits(and good) everywhere.

Now for the virus thing. I'd say 1 out of 5(UPS) are wearing some sort of mask. Most no gloves. Except for maybe some sort of hand sanitizer in the dispatch offices, would not know there is a depression level pandemic going on(At UPS). On the masks, most don't have them over their noses. Last week traffic was relatively light coast to coast in town or the interstates. With the easing, it doubled. Trucks 10 to 1 over cars. Big city traffic thick except LA. The only place we were offered masks and gloves was MeanJ, this includes our own hub. I haven't worn one yet. Our biggest concern as a sleeper team is finding anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer. My stash is just about out. Locally, there is none to be had...anywhere. Nor any truck stop. We may have to go to bar soap and water which will create other problems. You wouldn't believe how hard and time consuming it is to find/refill fresh water not to mention expensive if purchased. How do you wash and rinse your hands driving down the road? See above. These were problems we didn't have just a couple months ago...

over9five

Staff member
Hand sanitizer is definitely making a comeback at food stores near us (Massachusetts). Have seen large bins the last couple times we shopped.
Also, I keep getting emails from AAA advertising hand sanitizer you can order from them.
FYI, good luck.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I go to the west and east coasts(LA to New York). All new hubs look the same. All old hubs look the same. Clone/cookie cutter. California's crappy fake wood veneer counters are exactly the same as New York's etc. Zombie like overnight employees...For the most part, pleasant, helpful, hard working fellow UPSer's. Sure not like here on BC. Safety wise, you see the same bad habits(and good) everywhere.

Now for the virus thing. I'd say 1 out of 5(UPS) are wearing some sort of mask. Most no gloves. Except for maybe some sort of hand sanitizer in the dispatch offices, would not know there is a depression level pandemic going on(At UPS). On the masks, most don't have them over their noses. Last week traffic was relatively light coast to coast in town or the interstates. With the easing, it doubled. Trucks 10 to 1 over cars. Big city traffic thick except LA. The only place we were offered masks and gloves was MeanJ, this includes our own hub. I haven't worn one yet. Our biggest concern as a sleeper team is finding anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer. My stash is just about out. Locally, there is none to be had...anywhere. Nor any truck stop. We may have to go to bar soap and water which will create other problems. You wouldn't believe how hard and time consuming it is to find/refill fresh water not to mention expensive if purchased. How do you wash and rinse your hands driving down the road? See above. These were problems we didn't have just a couple months ago...

96CABCC5-149F-4FCD-9C90-835C4E5D6653.jpeg

ManInBrown

meanj offered you gloves? Kevin must have been in a good Mood that day.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation

Interesting.

Keep updating in the future. LA to NY... wow! What a haul.

As you can see, my profile picture is where I was off too last month. How's it looking now to head from the West to the East in the family truckster? Rest areas open? Hotels open? Restaurants... gas? I'm looking to mask/glove up and head to Oak Island! I can get all the bottled water I can with bars of soap. You're right on sanitizer. I figure just ever clear and water with soap is fine. I'm not fancy.

What if any stumbling blocks do you see on a road trip like that, other than fresh water? The rest areas are my biggest concern. Other than... well you know. I can go pee off the road side. Yet, taking the dog with me and he needs those rest area/pet areas. Hoping all rest areas are open.

Going stir crazy waiting around for the virus to get me. On the good side I planned to be there during that crazed maniac went on a shooting rampage. Plan on just tooling around there... Newfoundland. Anywhere the weather is 70's. Oak Island is not open to the public & will be a tour and don't even know if tours are running now.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Hand sanitizer is definitely making a comeback at food stores near us (Massachusetts). Have seen large bins the last couple times we shopped.
Also, I keep getting emails from AAA advertising hand sanitizer you can order from them.
FYI, good luck.
I read where a lot of the new hand sanitizer is watered down so much it almost useless. Them boys at Purell better step up their game.

Ghost in the Darkness

Get a 5 GL bucket with a lid. Fill it maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 and add whatever soap, hand cleaner, bleach you want. Find a spot to bungee it or to your handcart. Change it daily and there you go.