Cod recovery

I have this customer that gets money orders and always gets it wrong. He gets them a dollar or two under. I make him go and get another one. Most of the time the the money orders cost more then the money it's self. Lol. I'm Lol because he is a prick.

Also UPS lost a check and said I did. My sup said there was a problem in billing. They still tried to make me pay. They finally took the bill. What a punch of crooks. That's why they make billions.

turq

I lost a check once. I payed for the cost of stopping payment (I think it was $15) and the customer gave me a new check. Not sure of the amount you are talking about but this might be something to consider.

And BTW there are a lot of reasons to post date checks, other than the customer not having the money. Happens all the time in retail.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Long time ago, I accepted post-dated checks as a package car driver. An older driver pulled me aside and asked me, "If you sold a car, and someone wrote a post-dated check to you, would you take it?" Sounds stupid now, and it did when he asked me, but I realized what he was saying, and I never again accepted a check that wasn't dated on the day it was written. Someone above said that there are reasons to write a post-dated check. But in our business, from the driver's perspective, there is NO reason to accept one.

Remember who we work for. Are you willing to put a post-dated check--perhaps a very big one--between the customer and management? Because you are the middle. This is a problem without a reason. Why risk it? Would you trust a customer with your job on the line? No? Then why accept a check that might bounce that could be be placed on your porch?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Unless you're in a position to pay for a COD check from your own bank account, then simply follow the directions. Never take a post dated check. Never leave a COD package at a customer's business without getting a check, and never let a customer open a COD without having the check in your hand. It really is that simple. If you want to roll the dice, go ahead. But don't hope to get any sympathy from this forum when your paycheck is getting thinned from your mistake.

UPSGUY72

I lost a check once. I payed for the cost of stopping payment (I think it was $15) and the customer gave me a new check. Not sure of the amount you are talking about but this might be something to consider.

And BTW there are a lot of reasons to post date checks, other than the customer not having the money. Happens all the time in retail.

Really what are the reason beside the customer doesn't want to pay until a certain date??? it called floating checks so not to bounce the check. People still try to do it all the time except now when you use a check it could clear the same day.

If you get a product and have money in your account why would you post date a check other than to delay the with drawl of funds.

turq

Really what are the reason beside the customer doesn't want to pay until a certain date??? it called floating checks so not to bounce the check. People still try to do it all the time except now when you use a check it could clear the same day.

If you get a product and have money in your account why would you post date a check other than to delay the with drawl of funds.

Retail stores usually get terms. Terms like net 30, means the store has 30 days to pay the bill. It gives them a chance to move the merchandise before they actually pay for it. It's common practice for store to get terms, even if they pay COD.

But I should have added that I only let them write a post date on the back or in the memo section of the check. I never let me post date in the actual date section. I have been doing this for over ten years and neither the stores nor I have ever had a problem.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Long time ago, I accepted post-dated checks as a package car driver. An older driver pulled me aside and asked me, "If you sold a car, and someone wrote a post-dated check to you, would you take it?" Sounds stupid now, and it did when he asked me, but I realized what he was saying, and I never again accepted a check that wasn't dated on the day it was written. Someone above said that there are reasons to write a post-dated check. But in our business, from the driver's perspective, there is NO reason to accept one.

Remember who we work for. Are you willing to put a post-dated check--perhaps a very big one--between the customer and management? Because you are the middle. This is a problem without a reason. Why risk it? Would you trust a customer with your job on the line? No? Then why accept a check that might bounce that could be be placed on your porch?

Unless you're in a position to pay for a COD check from your own bank account, then simply follow the directions. Never take a post dated check. Never leave a COD package at a customer's business without getting a check, and never let a customer open a COD without having the check in your hand. It really is that simple. If you want to roll the dice, go ahead. But don't hope to get any sympathy from this forum when your paycheck is getting thinned from your mistake.

Good advice. Sounds like a voice of experience.

Ummm.... they don't have they money.

The reason, some consignee's get COD's all the time.... is bad credit. Or a history with the shipper.... from non-payment.

A lot of veteran pkg drivers, remember the days of taking cash.

Still to this day, shippers will try and save money on COD charges.

They will ship multiple pkgs to the same consignee.... But, only put a COD amount (tag) on one package.

The "crafty" receiver.... will sign for the non-COD pkg's.... and refuse the one, with the COD tag.

The driver.... is only responsible.... for the one with the COD tag.

Be aware, of what you are doing.

-Bug-

FilingBluesFL

I've only ever had one problem with a check, and that was because I lost it. I went back to the hair salon the next day (April 1st... April Fools day of all days) and asked for another check.

It was a little bit of a hassel, and I felt retarded, but no biggie, got another check, boom, done.

UPSGUY72

Retail stores usually get terms. Terms like net 30, means the store has 30 days to pay the bill. It gives them a chance to move the merchandise before they actually pay for it. It's common practice for store to get terms, even if they pay COD.

But I should have added that I only let them write a post date on the back or in the memo section of the check. I never let me post date in the actual date section. I have been doing this for over ten years and neither the stores nor I have ever had a problem.

My wife a book keeper/ officer manager/ bill payer for a liquor store does millions of dollars worth of business a year I know what net 10, 20, 30, etc mean. They have nothing to do with a COD if a business is get a COD package then they are posted there are no net terms it Cash on delivery. Net Means you you have to pay by a certain date COD mean you have to pay when you the product.

Business get posted because they don't pay there bills on time...