Colbert family grieving after UPS driver runs over dog

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Leash laws do not apply when the dogs are on their owner's property.

It all depends on county ordinances. A guy I work, with successfully sued a customer's homeowners insurance when he was bitten on the man's property. The man's defense was that the dog was on his own property. It didn't matter.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I hit several dogs in my driving career. none on purpose. I had a dog who chased me on a daily basis, nipping at my tire. One day the dog zigged when he should have zagged, and I ran over him and killed him. Right in front of his house. Right in front of the kids who owned him. I immediately stopped and went to the door to talk to the owner. The kids were bawling in the front yard. The owner said, hey, you didn't do it intentionally, and we knew that, and he just loved to chase trucks. We figured it would happen sooner or later.

10 point

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

This is disturbing to me.

The leaving the dog on the property with a note is very troubling to me.

I am not comfortable with the driver or the company making the life and death decision here.

I think getting the animal to a nearby animal hospital would be an appropriate response to running over someone's pet.

It seems to me that there should have been a 911 call regarding the incident and then let professionals determine what care to give the dog even if it was to pronounce the dog dead.

The police could have then visited the house with the bad news in an appropriate way when someone was home.

The purpose of this reply is not to gripe or complain about this issue, conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread reply is to discuss this work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in possibly engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we will not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers, and/or customers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Sincerely,
I
Good grief man.
Get a grip.

The driver may have been directed to leave the note and get his spohr back up to standards.

If the customer can now track every pkg via UPS they sure as heck can put their dog(s) on a leash the day of delivery.

What's their excuse now?

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
turdferguson,

I definitely would want a police report of this accident.

Don't you view running over someone's family member an accident that should be reported to the police?

Sincerely,
I
No it's a dog. Tough :censored2:.

I'm not wasting emergency responders precious time on an animal.

rod

Retired 22 years
Although leash laws normally do not apply while your dog is on your property you are still required to be in control of it at all times (which is impossible to do unless your mutt is a graduate of some obedience school.). Screaming at it and hollering "Fluffy- stop it" is wasting your breath. While you are doing that I'm preparing to launch your mutt sky-high with my size 11 boot if I have too. It would be so much easier if idiots would keep their mutts in the house when a delivery was being made. It used to be if the dog broke skin it was worth an automatic 5 grand law suit---I'm sure that has gone up by now. I never felt the need to sue but I would have gladly put Fluffy out of his misery on a few occasions. I ALWAYS reported it to law enforcement so the owners knew I was pissed and meant business. At the very least they were made to show proof that their mutt had had its rabies shots and sometimes they were even forced to keep it chained up as a "vicious dog" if they had been warned before. Also reported it to CMA.

Last edited:

10 point

Although leash laws normally do not apply while your dog is on your property you are still required to be in control of it at all times (which is impossible to do unless your mutt is a graduate of some obedience school.). Screaming at it and hollering "Fluffy- stop it" is wasting your breath. While you are doing that I'm preparing to launch your mutt sky-high with my size 11 boot if I have too. It would be so much easier if idiots would keep their mutts in the house when a delivery was being made. It used to be if the dog broke skin it was worth an automatic 5 grand law suit---I'm sure that has gone up by now. I never felt the need to sue but I would have gladly put Fluffy out of his misery on a few occasions.
I was told it was worth $10,000 if they bit you in the face.

thatUPSdude

Why was the driver driving up a drive way? What part of "stay out of residential driveways" didn't this guy get. This one more reason why I never drive up a residential driveway