Contract update letter from Teamster

What'dyabringmetoday???

We are having our contract meeting next Saturday. My daughter and son in law will be in town for a wedding and have asked me to babysit their dog so I won't be going to the meeting. The letter that they sent did indicate that the FTers will be voting to divert $.35 of our $,70 raise to the pension. I would like to be there for that part.
I know I will be accused of stalking, but this is so typical of most UPSers. Use any possible thing as an excuse. One day you and many others will regret the path that you have chosen. Honestly, a dog should be able to be left alone for the few hours it would take to attend. You can save all the reasons it can't be left alone. Maybe the BA will give himself another raise at the meeting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know I will be accused of stalking, but this is so typical of most UPSers. Use any possible thing as an excuse. One day you and many others will regret the path that you have chosen. Honestly, a dog should be able to be left alone for the few hours it would take to attend. You can save all the reasons it can't be left alone. Maybe the BA will give himself another raise at the meeting.

I don't know why I am explaining myself to you---I must be bored----my daughter and SIL are coming in to town late Friday night (11pm?) from the Albany area for a Saturday wedding at AuSable Chasm. My son will be joining us for what will in essence be a Father's Day breakfast Saturday morning. They will then go to the wedding while I watch Yuki. Yuki already spends way too much time in his kennel due to their hectic schedules so the last thing I want to do is keep him locked up for most of the day. If the meeting were in Plattsburgh I would be there---hell, I went to the last two---but this one is in Potsdam at 10 am. This would mean we would have to leave at 8 and probably wouldn't be back until 4 at the earliest as they are feeding us. You know I must care about the dog as I never pass up free food. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you don't get back until 6 or later. The kids will bring me a slice of wedding cake and then head home that night.

I was surprised to read about the proposal to divert part of our wages. I went to the proposed supplement on TDU and saw the language on this----the union is well within their rights to propose this. I am going to have think twice about this before giving Brian my vote. I fully supported the first proposal as I thought it would help but it hasn't made a bit of difference so I am wondering why they think this one will be any different. I am leaning toward voting "no" on the proposal.

Have fun at the meeting and make sure you let Kim drive if you've had too much to drink.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Makes sense. Fortunately, our local comes out to the members and schedules meetings at locations near centers. Still low turnout.

Our local covers centers in Plattsburgh, Potsdam and Watertown (Black River). Plattsburgh and Watertown are about 3 hours apart but each are about 90 minutes from Potsdam hence the decision to hold the meeting there. I think that if there were more time before ballots have to be received (June 20?) that they union would have scheduled separate meetings for each center but with the time issue I think they made a fair decision.

Inthegame

Our local covers centers in Plattsburgh, Potsdam and Watertown (Black River). Plattsburgh and Watertown are about 3 hours apart but each are about 90 minutes from Potsdam hence the decision to hold the meeting there. I think that if there were more time before ballots have to be received (June 20?) that they union would have scheduled separate meetings for each center but with the time issue I think they made a fair decision.
There you go with your exceptional vocabulary skillfully utilizing "hence".

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If the meeting were local I might but it is 90 miles away.

Thats a "call'.... only the member can make. Everyone's situation is different.

Makes sense. Fortunately, our local comes out to the members and schedules meetings at locations near centers. Still low turnout.

And for a Local.... there is a diminishing point of return.

Members, sometimes don't realize....

Locals, have to scrutinize these types of expenditure's.

Give me the "green light".... And I will come to your home.

But....don't complain about what you get charged for dues.

​-Bug-

What'dyabringmetoday???

There is a bigger issue here. We received a letter probably two months ago saying supplement was done. Yet, we can't get an update until 12 days prior to ballots being counted?? The slobs that run this local spend mad money on themselves so separate meetings would be minimal expense. Having more updates sooner than later would be a wise use of our money. It is obvious why that is not happening...

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Translation:

"I'm not a PT'er anymore and now making the big bucks. I don't give a flying **** that they're getting shafted with this TA."

You're a POS.

You are exactly right. Full timers like this P.O.S. are the reason there is a divide between full and part time. Once they make it, they forget where they came from and are willing to sacrifice the part timers to keep what they have.

We stand together or fall divided.

Heffer has the Me, Myself and I complex that some on this board share.

Peace

TOS

reydluap

I don't know why I am explaining myself to you---I must be bored----my daughter and SIL are coming in to town late Friday night (11pm?) from the Albany area for a Saturday wedding at AuSable Chasm. My son will be joining us for what will in essence be a Father's Day breakfast Saturday morning. They will then go to the wedding while I watch Yuki. Yuki already spends way too much time in his kennel due to their hectic schedules so the last thing I want to do is keep him locked up for most of the day. If the meeting were in Plattsburgh I would be there---hell, I went to the last two---but this one is in Potsdam at 10 am. This would mean we would have to leave at 8 and probably wouldn't be back until 4 at the earliest as they are feeding us. You know I must care about the dog as I never pass up free food. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you don't get back until 6 or later. The kids will bring me a slice of wedding cake and then head home that night.

I was surprised to read about the proposal to divert part of our wages. I went to the proposed supplement on TDU and saw the language on this----the union is well within their rights to propose this. I am going to have think twice about this before giving Brian my vote. I fully supported the first proposal as I thought it would help but it hasn't made a bit of difference so I am wondering why they think this one will be any different. I am leaning toward voting "no" on the proposal.

Have fun at the meeting and make sure you let Kim drive if you've had too much to drink.

You have the gall to post here on BC over 27 thousand post with your chest sticking out.....knowing it all........then boo-hoo I'm gone for BC........now you can't go to a union meeting because you are going to watch a pooch??!! Give me a break. I now fully understand why fellow BC members think of you as just a blow hard. Whatever dude,whatever! Just take your ball and stay home.

DON CUMMINGS

The ibt sent word out about the tentative agreement. They did not want to address the air supplement not being done. They wanted to paint the picture that this was a done deal. The air supplement was not done. In fact, it was still being negotiated. On tuesday, of this week, the company presented their last, best, and final offer to the union air supplement negotiating committee. This final offer is an attempt to buy the contract, via a 1000 dollar bonus. The needs of the air members, of 89, have still not been satisfied. This is a sub standard contract and needs to be voted down.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Do you know why they dead lock at the panels with the 9.5s. The drivers are not beating them on their OJSes. Two centers in my bldg. ( mine is one ) have been to 2 panels. I have been payed out on all my 9.5s in those two years, and when the company wouldn't hire someone to replace someone. My center replaced all the drivers that left. Because we kept winning at the panel. Most of are Ojses where below the stop count or we where over what we would do with out management on the car.

The mistake YOU guys make is in believing that the "panels" are a fair hearing where justice will prevail. What you DONT understand is that "PANELS" are designed to DEADLOCK. 3 from the company and 3 from the union. Each side has less than 8 minutes to present a case to the panel. The "CHAIR" then calls for a vote and it always goes the same way.. 3 company labor reps vote for the company position, and the 3 union reps vote for the union position. DEADLOCK. Then onward to another panel in 3 months. Then DEADLOCK again, and then a meeting with the 9.5 committee as soon as it can be scheduled.. ( 4 to 6 months) then, if no resolution there, You have the right to arbitration. WOO HOO.

A year later, you have a 50/50 chance of recovering triple time.

OJS observations have NOTHING to do with PANEL outcomes. That is Irrelevant information. If it was as simple to recover triple time on 9.5 violations, then the company wouldnt violate us, Instead, they work the system as it was designed for. The UNION agreed to create this farce of judicial remedy to satisfy the company while fooling YOU into believing in it.

In our local for example, we have a separate addendum that provides our members to a "local" arbitration within 30 days on ALL issues that are not remedied at the local level. These trials would then set a precedent in our local and the company wouldnt dare do the same violation twice. UNfortunately, the H administration "conceeded" to the company this superior avenue of recovery and has since taken everything to PANEL.

There, cases deadlock for months on end. They know, that the longer it goes, the less likely a member will pursue the case. They DO NOT arbitrate cases unless they are termination cases that cant be settled at the local level. In all of the PANELED cases, there is a stipulation at the bottom of each case that eventually gets settled and it says this:

" the outcome of this case does not establish a precedent "

The local has sold out ALL cases with this little sentence. Every Local has agreed to this practice. The panel list is multiple pages long in each district. Hundreds of cases to be heard in 5 days. Most dont get heard and tough cases simply get postponed.

Its all RIGGED, and yet people like STINK and 407 believe the panel system will protect them.

Hundreds of cases go unresolved in panels. There is NOTHING about panels that suggests a remedy or outcome is guaranteed.

The 9.5 language contained in this proposal will only INCREASE the case logs for panel hearings. The fact that the company still has an "OUT" up their sleeve guarantees a DEADLOCK outcome in panels. Why would the company settle a case or vote in favor of the member, when at the end of the road they can still have an arbitration hearing that is 50/50 at best?

Those of you who DONT understand this are simply foolish. The company will NEVER settle a triple time case if they have one final option of arbitrating the case where 50/50 odds await them. Think about that.

The system is rigged against you!

If the union was attempting to prevent unnecessary overtime, they would fight for language that made payment AUTOMATIC upon violation. But, they didnt.

They went on with the charade and added another two steps to the process. Good luck with that.

Peace

TOS

Newfire

Maybe we should have stuck with the plan we had several years ago of ditching the teamsters and starting our own package handling union. Anyone remember that? It sounded pretty good at the time and raised alot of eyebrows if I remember right. As far as the TA, its hogwash they lowball everytime on the first go around, vote no now and the worst issues will only be semi-bad in the next agreement instead of horrible and unethical.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Maybe we should have stuck with the plan we had several years ago of ditching the teamsters and starting our own package handling union. Anyone remember that? It sounded pretty good at the time and raised alot of eyebrows if I remember right. As far as the TA, its hogwash they lowball everytime on the first go around, vote no now and the worst issues will only be semi-bad in the next agreement instead of horrible and unethical.

The IPWA? Or something like that. Who did it sound good to?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The mistake YOU guys make is in believing that the "panels" are a fair hearing where justice will prevail. What you DONT understand is that "PANELS" are designed to DEADLOCK. 3 from the company and 3 from the union. Each side has less than 8 minutes to present a case to the panel. The "CHAIR" then calls for a vote and it always goes the same way.. 3 company labor reps vote for the company position, and the 3 union reps vote for the union position. DEADLOCK. Then onward to another panel in 3 months. Then DEADLOCK again, and then a meeting with the 9.5 committee as soon as it can be scheduled.. ( 4 to 6 months) then, if no resolution there, You have the right to arbitration. WOO HOO

<snip>

I admit I have no idea how panel "really" works, but it seems like a lot of showmanship. E.g. Employee gets fired for attendance, panel deadlocks, comes up with 'termination will be dropped if employee shows up to work every day on-time for next 9 months' solution; employee gets fired for fighting, panel deadlocks, comes up with 'employee screws up one more time and he's fired' resolution. I brought a case over 3.5 guarantees & it deadlocked at the building & panel levels -- which was really silly since the language is clear -- and was told 'the amount doesn't cover your gas to get here, or our time... if we cut you a check today, we're doing so only for you to drop this.' I don't know how this works in relation to 9.5 obviously, but panel seems like just B.S. showmanship.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

Ask the Northwest Airlines flight attendants how that'd turned out (dumping Teamsters & creating own union).

What'dyabringmetoday???

You have the gall to post here on BC over 27 thousand post with your chest sticking out.....knowing it all........then boo-hoo I'm gone for BC........now you can't go to a union meeting because you are going to watch a pooch??!! Give me a break. I now fully understand why fellow BC members think of you as just a blow hard. Whatever dude,whatever! Just take your ball and stay home.
This, by far, is my most favorite post ever.