Country Runs

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
They'll load you up if you let them.
Exactly, run your balls off they will crush you, slow a steady and if they hammer you down you kick em in the nuttz deep into the night, that's how the game is played. Rock em to sleep and they will take work off. If you run a whole lot of miles theres no way there should be that many stops on there. IF you screw yourself on the numbers its your own fault. I know we don't have total control on how routes plan out but theres things you can do to make the numbers look somewhat better.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Carry some dog biscuits. You are more likely to see the dog instead of the owners. Know which driveways you can safely cruise and if possible set up an alternative delivery spot in case of heavy snow.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its too bad its just my route for peak. After that its back to whatever. One day i'll have some building seniority.
We all go through that. I cover drove for 8 years and it sucked. Wasn't so bad the last 2 years though, cause I was top cover driver ad only ran the routes of the senior guys who had country routes and knew they would go home a day a week or id go home on a Monday lol.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I have not used a loading dock in twenty years and I love it.

Always have a bottle, just in case. Some Imodium and Advil might be a good idea too. Extra chains and links. I also carry some butt wipes.

I know several of you have or have had country routes. I just got put on some country stuff and need some tips. I finished my packet last week. My route was a heavy retail p12 route. I've run this new route a couple times now. I think you would call it a split route. They took parts from two different routes and made this route. My sup said he is hoping to keep me there through peak. We'll see.

I love this country run especially compared to the 300+ piece training route I had. Smaller truck, less traffic. Its nice. I'm not overly concerned with the company's over/under numbers but like to keep it close to stay off the radar. So what tips do you have to help a brother out in the country? Both time wise and safet .

Appreciate it!
Miles are your friend and stay consistent.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to, then a guy in my center hit 2 dogs in about a year. Both were dogs that he had given treats and were running to get some and slid under the tires. I'll give a dog a good scritch, but no more treats from me.

This is exactly why our center manager strongly discourages the use of dog biscuits.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I used to, then a guy in my center hit 2 dogs in about a year. Both were dogs that he had given treats and were running to get some and slid under the tires. I'll give a dog a good scritch, but no more treats from me.
I throw the treats into the bushes or the ditch to get the dogs away from the truck for that very reason. Or, if the dog has met me clear down at the bottom of the driveway, I will have the dog jump up into the cab to get a treat and then shut the door and drive up to the house with the dog next to me. I have a feeling your friend might have been driving a wee bit fast when he hit those dogs, in 27 years I have yet to ever have a dog "slide under" my tires.

S

selfcancelsignal

I had city runs once. Thank god for the empty Cool Whip container my leftovers had been in earlier that day.