Damaged packages !!!!!

djkre8r

I have also heard that if preload catches the damage that it is back charged to the previous handling location.

That is correct "IF" they catch the pkg before it is scanned by your center. Once it is "spa'd" the damage is charged to your center.

menotyou

bella amicizia
They are writing up the spa people if they scan a damage at my center. Crazy. Scan, dump bags, pull off damages, ect. They are out of control with the potential repetitive motion accidents that can occur.

I think the pre loaders should also have some sort of ipod drawing for having quality loads.Its a win/win for UPS.The loads always suck (not entirely the preloaders fault,albeit) so its not like they will ever have to give one away! But it sure will make management look like that have good intentions!

packageguy

Here's the story !!

UPS has told all us drivers that we can NEVER scan a package as REFUSED-DAMAGED since the new year (about).

I have had countless packages that were ruined with sloppy handling that resulted in the product inside the box getting damaged. UPS is worried that we are scanning just ruined boxes as REFUSED-DAMAGED when the product inside is in good shape still.

Last week, I had a delivery from Urban Outfitters which was a picture frame. (Don't know why someone would want one from there but besides the point). When I deliver the box, it sounds like a 1000 piece puzzle set. I tell the customer that It's broken and I will send back and for them to email company saying it was broken on delivery. I have to sheet the package MISSED now and bring back to the center and write damaged on the package for the clerk.

2 days later, The package returns on my truck for delivery (sans broken glass). On the box is a statement which I will quote "DAMAGE REPORT ON FILE, CALL UPS OR SHIPPER TO FILE CLAIM OK FOR DELIVERY THANK YOU"

I could not believe that we would give the shipper a damaged delivery (which was a picture frame (a useless product with no glass)) !!!!!!!

I personally did not deliver the box and wrote in large letters " REFUSED WILL NOT ACCEPT DAMAGED DELIVERY" Never saw the package since !

Is this the way we have to conduct business now when we damage packages !! I am sick of hiding apparently destroyed products to our customers. Should I have left this box at their door and ran back to my car and act normal ?????

Don't run, walk a brisk pace, lol

John19841

We've been instructed to sheet them as missed, write on the package that it's damged, and bring them to the clerk...

I understand this to a point. For a residential customer, it makes sense. If we think it's damaged, bring it to the clerk and they'll check it out. No sense making someone think it's damaged by checking the tracking when really the box was just damaged.

For a commercial customer, I think we should let them make the decision.

I also think the driver should have some discretion. If there's glass all over the truck from an obviously damaged package, let us sheet it as damaged so the customer knows right away. No sense hiding what they're going to find out soon enough. If we break something we at least owe it to them to let them know ASAP, and not sheet it as missed so they think they're getting it "tomorrow" then tomorrow, it shows damaged. Some people are actually waiting to get their package....

Re-Raise

We've been instructed to sheet them as missed, write on the package that it's damged, and bring them to the clerk...

I understand this to a point. For a residential customer, it makes sense. If we think it's damaged, bring it to the clerk and they'll check it out. No sense making someone think it's damaged by checking the tracking when really the box was just damaged.

For a commercial customer, I think we should let them make the decision.

I also think the driver should have some discretion. If there's glass all over the truck from an obviously damaged package, let us sheet it as damaged so the customer knows right away. No sense hiding what they're going to find out soon enough. If we break something we at least owe it to them to let them know ASAP, and not sheet it as missed so they think they're getting it "tomorrow" then tomorrow, it shows damaged. Some people are actually waiting to get their package....

We need to be honest and clear in how we record the packages because we owe that to the customers who trust us with their packages.

I hate sheeting packages as missed. I don't like doing it for missorts that are in the wrong truck either. Why can't we enter possible damages as "held for inspection of possible damage" and why can't we record missorts as 'loaded on wrong car'?

I keep thinking that at some point they are going to come up to me and say . "hey you have had 500 missed packages over the last 25 years". I haven 't MISSED any of them , you just told me to record them that way.

QKRSTKR

Thats funny cause when u have a service failure, it goes on your record with your attendance. Pull your attendance records and it will show days with service failures.

Here we record as missed. Remarks damaged.

Ghost in the Darkness

It maybe the clerk that doesn't know what they are doing. We are told to sheet them as future also. I usually put the pal label up near the label and write "damaged?" on it. There have been many occassions where they pull the pal label off and send it out again the next day. Then I bring it back the next night and have to write instructions for them on what to do with a potentially damaged package.

dqs95124

look It's not us. I have a qvc shipper in my home. And to avoid shipping cost's back to them, the customer say's damaged. when it's not. b/c if you don't like it, you say it's damaged... not any more. this is $ so we can have a job there are genuine damaged pks. but this is the a policy that was put in place to reduce shipping costs. for "damged pkg!!!" that the customers do want to pay for.. Big Picture please..

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
oie_animation.gif