DDU Pickup?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Tuesday morning we were told to make sure we brought our DIADs to the PCM so that everybody would get the training at the same time. I hit "Training" and nothing was there! Nothing there all week, maybe we were supposed to be trained on DDU. I do pickup an Office Depot with a lot of drop off boxes, I wonder if this covers that.
There was supposed to be 2 days of training. Both days were the same thing. :dont_know:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I forgot to do DIAD training today also. Ask me this question, on a Friday especially: DILLIGAF?, LOL! Why are they so hell-bent on DIAD training? Its mostly trivial crap that we practice everyday. Recently, we had "clarifying the signature" DIAD training. It was about how we must get signatures at businesses and clarify each signature so the customer can start the billing process for its customers.

Well, DUH, do ya think? I think this was the first thing they taught us at driver school.

Then we had the pharmacy delivery training. We also covered this on day one of driver school, but in this instance I find it a little more serious than "clarifying signatures", however I think we all know the oxycontin needs to be delivered to the pharmacist and not the junkie at the loading dock.

Still, at UPS we are treated like dummies hence the ridiculous additions to the EDD menu asking us if we completed a pre-trip and signed off on the DVIR, ect. I do them everyday, however I always answer Y to each question just to clear that non-sense from my board if I've completed it or not yet.

Sorry, if I need to be reminded to do a pre-trip and sign the DVIR then I shouldn't be working at UPS or anywhere for that matter....
You would think that getting a signature at a business would be SOP but let me tell you................................ Yesterday the ship/rcv mgr at a local grocery store was pissed. Fri she went out the dock door only to find one of our wonderful runner/gunner types had dumped her pkgs at the back door (outside a locked door) without so much as a by your leave. She was furious and I don't blame her. So apparently there is good reason for diad training.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I look at the diad training as a refresher course. I have no problems doing it. Besides I am competitive enough if I don't get 100% on the questions I redo it. :happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would think that getting a signature at a business would be SOP but let me tell you................................ Yesterday the ship/rcv mgr at a local grocery store was pissed. Fri she went out the dock door only to find one of our wonderful runner/gunner types had dumped her pkgs at the back door (outside a locked door) without so much as a by your leave. She was furious and I don't blame her. So apparently there is good reason for diad training.

Did you give her the number to the center or the toll free number? That would have been the first thing I would have done after apologizing to her.

browniehound

Dill, I hear you loud and clear. The thing is, I'm all for 'runners and gunners' as long as they follow the methods and take their lunch and breaks. I look it as like if you can get done early and home early then thats what its all about. How can I give you crap if you are getting done early? How can I blame you if you are agood driver and ae finishing at a decent hour? I can't and I say more power too you.

However, If you are running your lunch, soaking packages, mailboxing packages, signing the DIAD, etc., then I don't respect you. You are just screwing the other drivers that do the route or a driver that takes over the route.

Can you see the difference?

Do it right and do it fast and I respect that. Do it wrong, cut corners, no methods, and skip 1.25 hours in lunch and breaks and I really disrepect you.

Which brings me to another point and that is the hour lunch. It simply causes too many problems and errors in the dispacth planning. I am adamant about this becuase too many drivers skip their lunch and put it the DIAD.

More than anything, its the hour lunch that screws up the dispatch. Only a handful of drivers take their lunch between the 4th and 5th hour as the contract states. Actually, I don't know anyone who takes it between the 4th and 5th as its too early if you're working 10-11 hours.

I always took lunch 1 hour before pick-ups started. If they started at 3, lunch was 2-3 and if they started at 4, lunch was 3-4, etc. If I was to have a ride, lunch would have to be taken or started between the hours of 1235 and 1335. Its funny, because I don't want to take lunch then and either does my center manager but he is the one calling for the ride.

Lunch at 1235? My last bulk air stop starts at 1029 and I can be there from either 1045 or 1145 depending on their volume. Then I have 20 business stops with pick-ups starting at 1530. At least 2 of these business bulk stops close from 12-1 so I must break to do these 2 stops, leaving me with about 12 stops done at 1210 with lunch to be taken at 1235???

So starting at 1335, I might me able to get 20 business stops (they are all pissed because Fed-Ex gets there at 930 according to them) before pick-ups at 1545. These run until about 1800 in which I have 50 house call stops left. Now I need an air meet point and I'm over 11-12 hours again.

My grief is with the hour lunch. I just want to take what I take and code it off, that way I can work hard and go home. The problem with the hour lunch is that too many drivers run it and the dispatch sup. plans accordingly to this group of drivers that run their lunch but put it in the DIAD! This leaves everyone over-dispatched.

Like everything else at UPS, why not just let us account for our time? You wany 7 minutes for lunch, take it. You want 1 hour take. you want 2 hours, take it, just note it in the DIAD.

This way, UPS won't be able to get away with stealing a full hour from drivers that put it in the DIAD because they are required to but don't actually take it. OH, I forget, THIS is exactly the reason drivers are required to record 1 hour of lunch.

RIGHT?
So the company can get a free hour of labor from all the drivers that are not going to take their lunch?

Where are your ethics UPS? You know a large % of your drivers are going to skip their lunch but you require them to still record it in the DIAD?

All this after you bust them for an extra .1 stop/hour.

Is it any wonder why your customers and the American public hate corporate UPS and UPS management in general?

over9five

Staff member

So who signed for the packages?

Did you give her the number to the center or the toll free number? That would have been the first thing I would have done after apologizing to her.

I would have called myself. Someone needs to be fired....

Dragon

Package Center Manager
DDU is for Destination Delivery Unit. DDU in the Diad is used when you pick up RS or PPD packages at the post office.

WNP (when needed pick up) - when viewing the pick ups in the DIAD to the far right you will see a ? this designates a stop as a WNP. If they do not need a p/u the stop will now be automatically removed from your DIAD (OMS no longer does it) never p/u a WNP before scheduled time. If they need a pick up (process one package) the ? will change to a Y .

You will no longer get credit in GTS for an uscheduled p/u. YOU GET 0 TIME ALLOWENCE SO DO NOT USE IT.

If a customer hands you a package on the street, ASD, Ground ASD or any package that has a label on it (bowtie in lower right corner) now gets recorded under special counts PPD. No longer an unscheduled p/u.

If the center sends you to make a p/u they must send you the p/u in the DIAD either via ODSe (copy a p/u to you) or send you an OCA event. Customers that are calling us to come get a package to avoid the p/u fee are now being told to drop at ups store or give to a driver when they see one, but we will not be coming back or going by to make a pickup. If they need help on how to properly process a package we are directing them to the 1-800 number or getting a sales lead out of it, to get them as a WNP customer which is a $10 charge 1 time a week.

If a p/u is designated as a drop box in your DIAD. You must scan every package to get credit for it. It will no longer allow you to manually to key in the number of p/u pcs.

The DIAD's and the DCS were upgraded last thur 7/8

Oh one more thing, this pcm was supposed to be given friday 7/9 and monday 7/12.

Good luck.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I gave her my sups cell number. That was a BS move by the driver and is not to be tolerated. And yes, I profusely apologized to her.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
So who signed for the packages?

I would have called myself. Someone needs to be fired....
That is one of the things she was pissed about. If the driver signed for her and something was missing then there is little recourse. I told her to be specific and ask if the pkgs were signed for.