Dealing with reality: who's got tips for running Orion?

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Today I ran about 75% Orion and it actually worked out great. It will destroy any grid work, so I ran that 50 stop grid section shelf to shelf. Other than that it was stop for stop ODO and smooth as butter. No commits or pickups to interfere with the dispatch. Some things I've picked up:
-Always look out for irregularities in the hins. If a section in your board is all one shelf with a couple random oppsite shelf stops sprinkled in there, you gotta map it to check if it makes sense. It probably doesn't.
-If you're bricked out, just get the 1000 shelf knocked out in order and any RDR/L bulk stops and use that space to sort then you can switch back to orion for a while.
-Multiple stops one street: always know the highest and lowest number of the street in the Orion sequence. Abbreviate the addresses using the last two or 3 digits so they are easier to remember. Point being, you never know at which point on the road orion wants you to turn around so you gotta be ready.
-If it's got you crossing a busy highway multiple times friend that, go up one side of the highway get turned around and work the other. That crossing a 4 lane mph highway garbage is going to get one of these seasonals killed.
As I understand it, there's an unspoken agreement between myself and management that as long as I display the effort to use orion AND produce, they've never said a word to me. I don't ever run more than 50 clicks over though which is above average for our center these days (since the disappearance of RDO our underallowed has been cut in half).
Every body's center is different, but what do you guys do to use Orion and not let it use you?
Or is everybody here one of those crotchety old guys that runs everything shelf to shelf and completely ignores the order on the board and doesn't care about any "repercussions?"
USE COMMON SENCE!!!!!!!!

Thegameisrigged

Today I ran about 75% Orion and it actually worked out great. It will destroy any grid work, so I ran that 50 stop grid section shelf to shelf. Other than that it was stop for stop ODO and smooth as butter. No commits or pickups to interfere with the dispatch. Some things I've picked up:
-Always look out for irregularities in the hins. If a section in your board is all one shelf with a couple random oppsite shelf stops sprinkled in there, you gotta map it to check if it makes sense. It probably doesn't.
-If you're bricked out, just get the 1000 shelf knocked out in order and any RDR/L bulk stops and use that space to sort then you can switch back to orion for a while.
-Multiple stops one street: always know the highest and lowest number of the street in the Orion sequence. Abbreviate the addresses using the last two or 3 digits so they are easier to remember. Point being, you never know at which point on the road orion wants you to turn around so you gotta be ready.
-If it's got you crossing a busy highway multiple times friend that, go up one side of the highway get turned around and work the other. That crossing a 4 lane mph highway garbage is going to get one of these seasonals killed.
As I understand it, there's an unspoken agreement between myself and management that as long as I display the effort to use orion AND produce, they've never said a word to me. I don't ever run more than 50 clicks over though which is above average for our center these days (since the disappearance of RDO our underallowed has been cut in half).
Every body's center is different, but what do you guys do to use Orion and not let it use you?
Or is everybody here one of those crotchety old guys that runs everything shelf to shelf and completely ignores the order on the board and doesn't care about any "repercussions?"
Doesn’t sound so smooth to me. Nothing smoother than working from 1000-8999.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Peak season dude, Orion goes out the window!

xvPovz.gif

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
For over 100 years UPS drivers ran their routes the best way they could.
that sounds sweet until you guys brag in another post about how you did half the work, dumped packages in your garage to deliver some other time, drove miles to your favorite hangout with other drivers, etc

your “best way they could” cost the company billions in completely unnecessary spending

while ORION isn’t perfect, can you really fault the company for trying to not have you guys be openly wasteful?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
that sounds sweet until you guys brag in another post about how you did half the work, dumped packages in your garage to deliver some other time, drove miles to your favorite hangout with other drivers, etc

your “best way they could” cost the company billions in completely unnecessary spending

while ORION isn’t perfect, can you really fault the company for trying to not have you guys be openly wasteful?
That’s racist. Your judging the many by actions of a few. Imagine, if someone came on here and talked about a fair or good manager, we’d laugh our asses off!

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
And no driver was ever disciplined for padding miles.

I for one would love to be a fly in the room during that argument.

"You are padding your miles so we are disciplining you! Yes, we told you to run it that way and you ran it exactly how we told you to but you should have known we didn't mean it. You have to use your discretion and determine which of the directives we give you we want you to actually do."

I would actually pay money to watch this at a hearing!

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

I can not argue that this never happened, I was not there. I can not say that there are not drivers out there who may do this, I do not know every driver. But REALLY?!?!

I can say this with 100% certainty, I honestly do not think 1 driver in my building would do this. But, then again I do not have any proof it isn't happening!

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Honestly not holding my breath on orion or even the PAS system working out until we find a better way to load these package cars. Its just a daily grind to decypher the load chart, forgetting the address # while searching for a hin # of a stop that changes shelves every single day. starting from the top is not a good idea, and parameters for large pieces and bulk/business clusters could be better.

As rediculous as it sounds, I would love to have the option to reject a hin # and key in an alternate position.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

1. We did less work because the company bought package cars that were smaller and slower and lacked power steering, and because instead of HIN labels we had illegible sequence #’s scribbled in black crayon.
2. We dumped packages in garages because the company refused to rent PODs. When you have 800 cubic feet of delivery volume for a route that is delivered of a 600 cubic foot truck, something has to give.
3. Telematics already resolved any issues that may have existed with padding miles. And back in the day we actually got instructed to pad miles on light days in order to avoid showing up on the report as an underload.
4. You spent billions on a system (RDO/EDD) that worked, and then spent even more billions on a system (ORION) that doesnt.
5. You spent billions over half a decade implementing and refining specific work methods (30-60” selection area, smooth car routine, deliver bulk stops first to minimize sort/selection time, plan ahead to minmize deliveries on the opposite side of the street, plan ahead to minimize left turns, have your next 5 stops memorized with both primary and alternate delivery points for each, deliver multiple stops from one park position whenever possible etc etc) to the point where drivers would be threatened with discipline for failing to follow them.....only to implement an ORION system that throws those methods in the trash and turns formerly productive drivers into lobotomized drones who waste hours of time digging around in the back and crawling over bulk stops in order to select random stops off of random shelves.

You really need to step away from the ORION Kool Aid before its too late....

brownIEman

That’s racist. Your judging the many by actions of a few. Imagine, if someone came on here and talked about a fair or good manager, we’d laugh our asses off!

The irony in this is absolutely awe inspiring. Made only more winnerific for the fact that I'm quite positive it was unintentional.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Option #1—Have your management team turn RDO back on for you.
Option #2–follow ORION 100%, bring half your route back as missed, and repeat until your management team is forced to RDO back on for you.

With enough determination on your part, you will break them.

Unfortunately, the method you describe is the worst option because you are using your intelligence and area knowledge to conceal ORION’s flaws, to help them generate the compliance metric they are chasing, and to maintain the illusion that ORION works.

ORION= forced stupidity and intentional failure.

If they want abject stupidity, give them abject stupidity until the missed stops that keep piling up on their report hurt so bad that they will become willing to do anything they have to do to make the pain stop.

Goof stuff and I agree on all accounts. But I'm just about to hit 1 year senority, at this point I feel as though I have to play the game a certain way for a while.
I'm not about to be managements lil biotch, I'm not seeking their affirmation, I avoid contact with them as much as possible. However, it's really really easy to be polite, firmly but professionally stand up for yourself when you need to, crack a few jokes, tell a few stories and WORK AS DIRECTED.
This job is so simple it boggles me that people make it harder than it needs to be. Of course we're gonna have garbage to put up with as union employees at a billion dollar publicly traded company. Who cares? I'm not trying to change the friggin world, fix the company's problems. I get paid to drive around and drop boxes off. Just be as safe as possible, work as directed, don't be lazy, nor TOO fast, and collect the check at the end of the week.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Option #1—Have your management team turn RDO back on for you.
Option #2–follow ORION 100%, bring half your route back as missed, and repeat until your management team is forced to RDO back on for you.

With enough determination on your part, you will break them.

Unfortunately, the method you describe is the worst option because you are using your intelligence and area knowledge to conceal ORION’s flaws, to help them generate the compliance metric they are chasing, and to maintain the illusion that ORION works.

ORION= forced stupidity and intentional failure.

If they want abject stupidity, give them abject stupidity until the missed stops that keep piling up on their report hurt so bad that they will become willing to do anything they have to do to make the pain stop.
Option #3 run as close to 100% as possible but pull to make service on air or businesses. Get on 9.5 list and significantly reduce stop count.

brownIEman

As much as some of you guzzle the anti ORION cool aide giving yourselves a bad case of ORION derangement syndrome, trying to use ORION during peak with a bulked out car is totally insane. ORION is designed to increase stops per mile. Stop density during peak is plenty high enough as is unless your PDS is an epileptic duck with sticky feet. If that's the case, your trace likely blows and therefore your ORION solution will as well.

As an aside, you have a mapnav button on the DIAD now?!? Holy mother Jones. If I had had that in my center, I'd post a list of all the drivers in my group that used it more that 5 times in a day under the title "Our Pussilanimuses yesterday were...". I'd post it every day right up until HR walked me out.