denied funeral leave

DennyHamlin

A member of my family passed away recently. When advising ft sup of days off needed I was advised would not receive funeral leave pay. He claims I am "too new". This prompted me to check my contract booklet for further clarification. From what I understand in article 29 section 2 of national agreement its a right for employees with seniority. (which I have.) Also the family member is listed in paragraph two. At this point I don't have lots of energy to deal with this but need to know who is right and be compensated if entitled to be. Plan to call union hall tomorrow also. Advice on how to handle anyone?

beavis

Like you said, call your local. If ups violated the contract then your business agent should be able to resolve it with a phone call or by filing a grievance if necessary. Sorry for your loss, God bless you and your family.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
A member of my family passed away recently. When advising ft sup of days off needed I was advised would not receive funeral leave pay. He claims I am "too new". This prompted me to check my contract booklet for further clarification. From what I understand in article 29 section 2 of national agreement its a right for employees with seniority. (which I have.) Also the family member is listed in paragraph two. At this point I don't have lots of energy to deal with this but need to know who is right and be compensated if entitled to be. Plan to call union hall tomorrow also. Advice on how to handle anyone?

Did you ask him what he meant by "too new"?

Kae3106

IMO, funeral leave should be a benefit from day one. No one can plan when they may lose a family member and shouldn't have to take a financial hit to attend to the funeral and arrangements. Delay vacation and optional days until seniority or one year. But delaying bereavement coverage is cruel.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
They didn't pay for my time off when my father died. I didn't realize it till I got my next check. I was furious to say the least. I told them what scumbags they were and then said I want a green check by the time I get in this afternoon, otherwise I was going to sit around on the clock till I got paid. They must have believed me. I pulled in the building, got up off the seat to reach a customer request folder, and when I sat back down, there was my check, sitting on my seat. People who have to go thru the ordeal of losing a loved one shouldn't have to fight for what's right.

oldngray

nowhere special
They didn't pay for my time off when my father died. I didn't realize it till I got my next check. I was furious to say the least. I told them what scumbags they were and then said I want a green check by the time I get in this afternoon, otherwise I was going to sit around on the clock till I got paid. They must have believed me. I pulled in the building, got up off the seat to reach a customer request folder, and when I sat back down, there was my check, sitting on my seat. People who have to go thru the ordeal of losing a loved one shouldn't have to fight for what's right.

When my father died my sup tried to say you can't be off. I more or less said screw you, I won't be here. He later apologized for his behavior and said he was having a bad day.

DennyHamlin

The OP needs to learn, early in his career, that management will tell you anything they think you are stupid enough to believe.

I've seen it too many times.

Another thing my Dad once told me is never :censored2: a :censored2:ter. They will not get one over on me. In the meantime I am avoiding any bashing of management.

Brown Spider

The OP needs to learn, early in his career, that management will tell you anything they think you are stupid enough to believe.

I've seen it too many times.

They love to play head games and sometimes you need to join in the game. Several years ago I twisted my ankle playing softball on a Sunday in early June. I called in on Monday and saw my doctor that afternoon. He told me to stay off of it for a few days. I called in again Tuesday and told the center manager that I should be in on Thursday. I of course got the standard earful of BS. "They were shorthanded, no one available to do my route, we'll try to send a helper with you, etc." He called me back on Wednesday and told me that there was a new policy in place and an off work injury required a note from the doctor who told me to stay off it for a few days. I agreed to get a note, waited a couple of hours, and called him back. I told him that my doctor left Tuesday for an overseas tour with Doctors Without Borders and wouldn't return until early August. Told him to have a good summer and I'll see you in August with my doctor's note. He immediately backed away from the "new policy" and asked me to call Thursday morning to confirm that I would be able to come in. Sometimes they just throw so much crap at you that some of it is bound to land on their shoes!

DennyHamlin

update - BA is out of town but was advised by my usual contact in the office BA is good about checking messages, returning calls and handling any contractual issues.

PS. - cant believe during this time I have to play these games - It's more the principal then the $$$....

Brown Spider

@ Brown Spider point taken and thanks for the good laugh! Beer 4 u!
Thanks for the beer! This happened at a time that we drivers later described as "the reign of terror". Those of us who stood up to them look back with pride at our refusal to cave in to the intimidation. We lost some good people during that time. Too many terminations and resignations to count...1 suicide...2 nervous breakdowns and a burning anger that continues to this day. We used to tell the drivers who were afraid..."They've only got a few minutes in the morning and a few minutes in the evening to plot against us...we've got all day long to plot against them"...and plot we did! Boycotting their Founders Day celebration with a parking lot demonstration was the tip of the iceberg. We also bought used hardcover books, put the DM's name and address inside the front cover with an offer of a $50.00 reward if found and returned. We then left those books on park benches and in bus stations. We did what we could to turn their "reign of terror" into a "reign of retaliation". In order to accomplish this we had to follow all of their methods and be able to withstand any and all scrutiny. It wasn't easy and not everyone survived.