Desert Mountain District voted Best Overall U.S. Operation CONGRATULATIONS!

UPS Lifer

here is the problem. you're putting your center manager down for manipulating the participation rate. Your center manager is being dishonest. however saying he is doing so out of the petty cash fund is also dishonest. there is no petty cash fund. the guy is manipulating the number by putting his own money in the fund for you. At least get that part right so we can focus on the center manager's dishonesty without being distracted by yours.

How do you know the center manager is being dishonest? As soon as read that the center manager was taking money from petty cash I discounted everything else that poster wrote. He lost complete credibility with that statement.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
How do you know the center manager is being dishonest? As soon as read that the center manager was taking money from petty cash I discounted everything else that poster wrote. He lost complete credibility with that statement.
His lips are moving...

tieguy

Banned

in that context my point was that if you're going to make the point the center manager was being dishonest by putting a buck in then don't misrepresent the facts by stating he was doing so from the non-existent petty cash drawer.

however if the center manager is inflating his participation numbers by putting in a buck for everyone in the center who is too cheap to give then that would be from an integrity standpoint less then truthful which daddy always told me was dishonest.

UPS Lifer

Thanks Lifer. I will have to see if this is mentioned monday at our PCM. If not I guess I will have to mention it. :happy-very:

When I saw this article, the first person I thought of was you!

Imagine that.... it turned into a management bashing thread! To me, that just shows the class of some people!

I happen to critically observe driver methods when I am out and about in Sedona. I can honestly say that all the drivers I have seen deliver as if their supervisor is standing right behind them. The Sedona drivers that come out of your center make me very proud ... I was not surprised to see this recognition.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When I saw this article, the first person I thought of was you!

Imagine that.... it turned into a management bashing thread! To me, that just shows the class of some people!

I happen to critically observe driver methods when I am out and about in Sedona. I can honestly say that all the drivers I have seen deliver as if their supervisor is standing right behind them. The Sedona drivers that come out of your center make me very proud ... I was not surprised to see this recognition.
I'm glad that is the rule around here but there are exceptions that you haven't seen yet. One of our runner/gunners just broke his ankle wed. Its the 4th or 5th injury and has been del only 1 year longer than I have. I have no lost time injuries. Wanna bet what was going on? Wanna bet that driver doesn't last as long as I do? They will never learn.

UPS Lifer

As for all the misinformation that is spread by assumptions based on God knows what... Tie is telling it like it is -
Vending machines are bid out to a vendor. UPS negotiates a better rate on the vending machine items (maybe 5% discount) because the company does not take the profit. All monies go back to the vendor. Contracts are negotiated generally through PE. Managers and supervisors have expense accounts but in the last 6 years or so, there are so many restrictions being placed on the account holder (mgr or supv) that it is not worth it to submit all the paperwork necessary for the expense. The company has made it hard on purpose to keep spending at a minimum. As for managers or supervisors who pay out of their own pockets, many management people do this because they don't want the hassle from their boss or bosses boss. I have had part time supervisors buy their employees pizza out of their own pockets. Just about everything I did I paid out of my own pocket because of the hassle to get it approved. When I left, anything over $25 for a manager needed a pre-approved requisition.

in that context my point was that if you're going to make the point the center manager was being dishonest by putting a buck in then don't misrepresent the facts by stating he was doing so from the non-existent petty cash drawer.

however if the center manager is inflating his participation numbers by putting in a buck for everyone in the center who is too cheap to give then that would be from an integrity standpoint less then truthful which daddy always told me was dishonest.

What in the world would make you come to the conclusion that cheapness is the factor for not giving $1 to United Way. It has nothing to do with cheapness and more to do with a statement of disapproval. This company started to handle UW contributions in the absolute WRONG way a few years ago. It became a contest and a race to meet numbers and quotas. If you want to turn something like giving money to charities into a numbers fiasco because you guys have nothing better do as a collective -- I will have no parts in that. I started giving more money to other charities that mean more to me personally and zero to greedy UPS related projects.

pretzel_man

What in the world would make you come to the conclusion that cheapness is the factor for not giving $1 to United Way. It has nothing to do with cheapness and more to do with a statement of disapproval. This company started to handle UW contributions in the absolute WRONG way a few years ago. It became a contest and a race to meet numbers and quotas. If you want to turn something like giving money to charities into a numbers fiasco because you guys have nothing better do as a collective -- I will have no parts in that. I started giving more money to other charities that mean more to me personally and zero to greedy UPS related projects.

You can give or not give to United Way. That's your choice. I don't really care

Not giving because UPS thinks its good to give, seems like a silly reason to avoid a great charitable organization.

I ended up doing the opposite of you. I give a lot of money to charity and I used to give to a lot of different organizations. I guess I remember where I came from and want to give back. I ended up doing the opposite of you however.

I found this website: http://www.charitynavigator.org/

I looked up every charity that I was giving to, and looked for the % of money going to programs. Those that were low, I stopped contributing to and gave more to United Way. My local United Way gives 90% of its money to programs.

Now every time I get a call asking for money, I ask what % goes to programs. They hate hearing that question.

My point is that I give to United Way because I think they are a good organization and giving to them fits my lifestyle and I feel good about it. The fact that UPS supports them is only a bonus.

It seems like you will choose to do the opposite of what UPS thinks is good...

P-Man

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
P-man. You give money to he united way and they use ten percent for admin costs. Then they give money to the local charity of your choice who also uses ten percent for admin cost. Your dollar just turned into 80 cents where if you had given directly to your charity it would be 90 cents.

Plus, you know, that whole shady accounting pratices high salaries of former heads of the UW. No thanks. I'll go down to the local soup kitchen and slap a fiver in the hand of the guy who runs it.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
P-man. You give money to he united way and they use ten percent for admin costs. Then they give money to the local charity of your choice who also uses ten percent for admin cost. Your dollar just turned into 80 cents where if you had given directly to your charity it would be 90 cents.

Correct you are. UW had several people in high places go to jail back in 2002 I think. To take it one step further, I was the president of my local volunteer first aid squad for two years. When someone wrote us a donation, I signed the back of the check, gave it to the treasurer, and it went into our account and from there right towards supplies, fuel, etc. There was none of this BS "administration cost"; not I as the president, nor the captain or the line officers or any members collected any stipend, salary, or allowance. The best charity to donate to is the charity that does what they do for free, and one you might even have the need to use one day, such as a local first aid squad or fire department.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my opinion local first aid squads and fire departments are not charities and should be funded by taxpayer dollars.

I donate to UW as it is easier for me to do it that. I am able to pledge a fairly large sum ($1,300), which is paid $25/week, and which I would be hesitant to do in a lump sum. I write this amount off on my taxes and get 25% back. My pledge goes entirely to our local Hospice which provides an invaluable service to those nearing the end of their lives.

When I was military there was enormous pressure to give, much more so than that applied by your center manager. Nothing less than 100% participation was expected. When I became an NCO I quickly learned how this was done. The upper NCO's were expected to make up any shortages among the lower enlisted folks to ensure 100% participation. There were legitimate cases where it would have been a hardship for some of the newbies to donate so to spare them the embarassment we simply collectively donated for them. Upper NCO's always threw a few bucks in to help out, no questions asked.

Agree or disagree with how UW is run, but please do not shortchange the charity as a result.

pretzel_man

Plus, you know, that whole shady accounting pratices high salaries of former heads of the UW. No thanks. I'll go down to the local soup kitchen and slap a fiver in the hand of the guy who runs it.

I've thought through the math as you said. Depending on the charity, the overall is still higher than other organizations.

I respect your opinion on how to give and why not United Way. That is still much different than what I was commenting on. The OP was not giving only because UPS wanted him to.... At least that is how I read it.

I also give to local organizations, but only afte finding out the % going to services. Next time you get a call, ask them about their %. I found some as low as 20% going to the organization. Others were proud that 50% went.

For me, UW is still a great choice.

P-Man

tieguy

Banned

everything in life has to be a life and death struggle for you guys. It about being part of a work group to me. So when you come to me selling some raffle for your kids little league team I'll be reaching into my pocket to help you out. when I come to you for a couple bucks for united way and ask you to help our cause I expect the same in return. If you want to go fight purple dragons then join some medevil troupe and leave the BS there.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
In my opinion local first aid squads and fire departments are not charities and should be funded by taxpayer dollars.

You are preaching to the choir brother. Our friend.D. is funded by taxpayer dollars, but not nearly enough of them. We make due here with 2 pieces of apparatus older than 20 years, one piece that's 25, and another that is just shy of 30. Our friend.A.S. gets a $35,000 check from the city every year, that covers approximately 35% of their insurance bill for a year. Public safety, unlike the UW, is something that we all need. And it's always the last thing on everyone's mind until it's needed.

Again, I don't dispute the UW's good intent. You just won't catch me donating to them.

You can give or not give to United Way. That's your choice. I don't really care

Not giving because UPS thinks its good to give, seems like a silly reason to avoid a great charitable organization.

I ended up doing the opposite of you. I give a lot of money to charity and I used to give to a lot of different organizations. I guess I remember where I came from and want to give back. I ended up doing the opposite of you however.

I found this website: http://www.charitynavigator.org/

I looked up every charity that I was giving to, and looked for the % of money going to programs. Those that were low, I stopped contributing to and gave more to United Way. My local United Way gives 90% of its money to programs.

Now every time I get a call asking for money, I ask what % goes to programs. They hate hearing that question.

My point is that I give to United Way because I think they are a good organization and giving to them fits my lifestyle and I feel good about it. The fact that UPS supports them is only a bonus.

It seems like you will choose to do the opposite of what UPS thinks is good...

P-Man

Obviously you aren't getting it. My onroad supervisor about 4 years ago told me that I "MUST" give to the United Way or there would be consequences because we needed to be 100%. I have never given another dime to UW or any UPS related charity since that event and I never will again. It has nothing to do with being defiant and going against UPS at every turn -- the intimidation techniques you guys use on a daily basis are nothing short of pure malice.