Diad questions?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Wait to you respond to a meesage and forget to use the alphabet key and send the message back in all numbers.

I've been so close to doing that a hundred times. I've caught it every time so far.

$killed = don't worry about it too much. I'm sure alot of us regular DIAD user may not get 95% either. I'm sure a bunch of us here shortcut quite a bit. Silly stuff though, like when I deliver to a business I select my receiver as #8 Recevier. In my eyes fi they signed for the package then they are the receiver. I've had alot of new drivers call me on road to walk them through stuff that they can't fgiure out. I know the thing inside and out. just try to hook up with someone that will be able to verbally walk you thru troubles during the day. In the long run, you will be alright.

stringerman85

I've been so close to doing that a hundred times. I've caught it every time so far.

= don't worry about it too much. I'm sure alot of us regular DIAD user may not get 95% either. I'm sure a bunch of us here shortcut quite a bit. Silly stuff though, like when I deliver to a business I select my receiver as #8 Recevier. In my eyes fi they signed for the package then they are the receiver. I've had alot of new drivers call me on road to walk them through stuff that they can't fgiure out. I know the thing inside and out. just try to hook up with someone that will be able to verbally walk you thru troubles during the day. In the long run, you will be alright.

So it should only be #8 receiver if the person who signs for it has their name on the package? I have used that function a lot too..

DiadDude

So it should only be #8 receiver if the person who signs for it has their name on the package? I have used that function a lot too..

Receiver is the title of a warehouse employee whose job is to receive incoming shipments. If you deliver to a door that says "Receiving" the person who signs for your deliver is likely the receiver.

Most of your commercial stops are likely to be Front Desk, Reception, Mailroom, or Office if you go in through the front of the building.

If you deliver to the back of the building, it's likely Dock, Warehouse, or Receiver.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I also struggled with the diad and still do. As a pt air driver I don't get the intensive practice a regular pkg car driver does.

Our center has the program on their computer and they let me use it when I want, on my own time. Check with your boss when you get back and see if you can use it there. If it's not installed, they should do it for you and be glad you give a hoot!

Can't get it online. I brought a disc home but the puter had no program to run it and couldn't find one online. Security, I'm sure.

Be patient and good luck. It will come in time. dw

Dill, do you still have this disk?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Back in the day...." they would let us take home a practice DIAD board with phoney info in it for a town called "Clarksville." (did everyone have this or is it just California?) It helped alot. I still get beeped at by the board at least once a day-usually when signing out for checks and then my signature. Don't worry, after a couple of days you will wonder why you even worried. Most of it is pretty basic and some of the things they train you on you will rarely use. Good luck!

Clarksville is an actual town and they have a train station, hence the song "Take The Last Train to Clarksville (and I'll meet you at the station.") I can be there by 4:30...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah we had clarksville, in Ohio. It did help to practice, Im not sure if the virtual diad is diad4,
If it is the Left at will get you if you have things pre-recorded. Just make sure you do the la, la on the correct adds, and then hit signature. A different add may show on the screen, but if you did the LA correct it will be right. I know that sounds confusing, but my son had the same question when he jumped last yr.
On a resi la it will ask you at the end where you left it, after it goes thru commercia resi mode.
Rngri is right about the specials. They "forget" to tell you but you need get used to using it to get credit for the ars, and overweights, and internationals. I dont think they stress it enough as I have helped several new guys who didnt even know what or where it was. As closely as we are measured, you need everything you can legally take for credit.

Tooner, should we tell them about "multiple left ats" or is that too much at this point for them to absorb. I personally love multiple left ats because you get credit for numerous stops all left at one location. I have this one college housing complex where all of the pkgs are delivered to the office. Each apt has its own separate address and are all PALed separately so it is not uncommon for me to get 5-6 stops out of this one stop.

This is kind of a segway, but a long time ago (we were still on paper), I was delivering senior pictures for the local high school and, for some reason, they had the pictures sent to the students' homes rather than to the school and they let the students fill out the address label. This was a country run and I was having a really hard time getting rid of them as the addresses were all screwed up so when I finally got to a house and found someone at home I asked them for help and he said that he would be happy to take them and bring them in to school the following day. I think I ended up leaving 36 stops at this one house. When I got back my on-car and center manager argued whether they would be considered one stop or 36 and decided on 36. This was the first and only year that senior pictures were sent to students' houses.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Upstate, I think maybe you should explain to him about Multi Left Ats. I know it took a while for me to absorb it when I first started. I sure could have used the info in the past! :) I would explain it, but you are better suited, you seem to explain things better than me.

old levi's

blank space
The worst thing about the diad is that damn toggle key. I leave mine in Alpha mode all the time and when I need to enter a number I hold down the toggle key during entry then release it therby returning to Alpha mode.
Works for me.

bellesotico

BOXstar
I use DIAD once a week..but I have to manually enter all my stops. At first that toggle key really got on my nerves, but now I'm at the point where I have found a good position for my fingers and I can key things in pretty quick.
Regarding "DIAD Training"...I never got any formal training. I learned the fine art by way of being a Driver Helper and having an awesome driver teach me a lot of the tricks. So when I started saturdays it was really not an issue for me.
My advice to you is not to put too much energy into that and really focus more on Habits and the 10 Pt Commentary. As far as a DR or getting a signature is concerned, as long as you can find stop complete, you should be good to go the first day on the road. If you don't know/live/follow methods..it's your you know what. You picking up what I'm layin down?

H

hseofpayne

I use DIAD once a week..but I have to manually enter all my stops. At first that toggle key really got on my nerves, but now I'm at the point where I have found a good position for my fingers and I can key things in pretty quick.
Regarding "DIAD Training"...I never got any formal training. I learned the fine art by way of being a Driver Helper and having an awesome driver teach me a lot of the tricks. So when I started saturdays it was really not an issue for me.
My advice to you is not to put too much energy into that and really focus more on Habits and the 10 Pt Commentary. As far as a DR or getting a signature is concerned, as long as you can find stop complete, you should be good to go the first day on the road. If you don't know/live/follow methods..it's your you know what. You picking up what I'm layin down?[/quote]

I'm smellin what ya steppin in!

New Englander

Tooner, should we tell them about "multiple left ats" or is that too much at this point for them to absorb. I personally love multiple left ats because you get credit for numerous stops all left at one location. I have this one college housing complex where all of the pkgs are delivered to the office. Each apt has its own separate address and are all PALed separately so it is not uncommon for me to get 5-6 stops out of this one stop.

That is padding your numbers, we had several drivers doing it in our center.
Management put a stop to it.

If your making one delivery to the office and not individual rooms. It all goes under the office address. As one stop.

It may be different where you are but I'm sure at some point it will filter your way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have about had it with you and your know it all attitude. You are not the know all, see all at UPS, and I suggest you figure that out pretty quickly.

This is not padding stops. Each of these pkgs are individual stops, they are palled that way and are in EDD as individual stops. If I follow your "method", I would scan the first one and when I go to the second one it would alert me that I was at the wrong address. I would then answer yes and have to do that for each pkg, if I choose to follow your "method".

I am following the proper methods. I simply prerecord each individual stop, do LA RES, get the signature, hit 5 for Reception, and when I hit stop complete it will ask where I left pkgs, which I then type 201, which is the address for the office. Sounds fairly simple and straightforward to me.

These are college kids and as such are (supposed to be) in classes during the day so the office manager has a standing policy that all pkgs go to the office.

H

hseofpayne

That is padding your numbers, we had several drivers doing it in our center.
Management put a stop to it.

If your making one delivery to the office and not individual rooms. It all goes under the office address. As one stop.

It may be different where you are but I'm sure at some point it will filter your way.

I think you can do it as long as you made an attempt at each apt first, left notice, THEN went to the office. We had a driver here who would go to the centrally located mailboxes area in my apt complex I lived in and leave notes on the front of the little key boxes, never went to the apts. Residents would see me in my browns when I got off work and complain about healthriders, exercise machines, etc that were left at office w/o anyone coming to their 3rd floor apt!!! Most of the time, the postman would rip the info notices off the mailboxes and throw them away anyway. He finally got busted for doing this but it was too late, apt manager wont take boxes anymore. He ended up screwing himself on that deal!

New Englander

Thanks for the feedback, it hurt my feelings. :(

"You need to lose the know it all attitude--there are many people here, including yours truly, who could deliver your ass off any day of the week and twice on Friday."

Do I need to run around the campfire with you thumping my chest?

Lol.....It was ENDED by MANAGEMENT in my center. Simple fact that you are making one stop, yet you are getting time allotment for multiple stops. I'm guessing that when EDD screws up and doesn't recognize a minor wording change in an address and spits out two different pal labels for the same stop. You sheet those as two stops, not one? Cause it's in EDD that way right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

House, you make an excellent point but, in my case, the office manager has stated that she wants all deliveries made to her in her office, which is fine with me and perfectly acceptable to the students as 99% of them are not home during the day.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
These are college kids and as such are (supposed to be) in classes during the day so the office manager has a standing policy that all pkgs go to the office.

I deliver a college route periodically and I was told by the driver AND by management that I need to do it just like UPState has stated. I take them directly to the Housing Office. I can normally get 5-10 stops there alone. In one particular building I can get 10-15 stops. I do have to deliver to each office there too. Plus, if I(we) were to go to the dorms, I would run out of Info Notices every other day. (Makes sense to leave them at the Housing Building) :happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

.. I'm guessing that when EDD screws up and doesn't recognize a minor wording change in an address and spits out two different pal labels for the same stop. You sheet those as two stops, not one? Cause it's in EDD that way right?

The stop is called Renaissance Village. All of the packages are addressed ### Renaissance Village. The office is addressed as 201 Renaissance Village. I prerecord all of the packages, mark them LA RES, and then have the office mgr sign, complete stop, select 5 for Receptionist, and then put 201 for LA address.

Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

New Englander

I think you can do it as long as you made an attempt at each apt first, left notice, THEN went to the office. We had a driver here who would go to the centrally located mailboxes area in my apt complex I lived in and leave notes on the front of the little key boxes, never went to the apts. Residents would see me in my browns when I got off work and complain about healthriders, exercise machines, etc that were left at office w/o anyone coming to their 3rd floor apt!!! Most of the time, the postman would rip the info notices off the mailboxes and throw them away anyway. He finally got busted for doing this but it was too late, apt manager wont take boxes anymore. He ended up screwing himself on that deal!

He's not, he's going to the office and dumping them all there as 1 stop. That entire dorm should get PAL'd as one stop to the office. Plain and simple. At some point it will be.

It's like going to a college mail room where they take everything and getting 15 to 20 stops because they were addressed to the dorms and not the mail room, or the PALS have not been fixed yet etc.....

Not going to fly in the long run.

H

hseofpayne

House, you make an excellent point but, in my case, the office manager has stated that she wants all deliveries made to her in her office, which is fine with me and perfectly acceptable to the students as 99% of them are not home during the day.

Perhaps in order to protect your flank you could scan info notices for each student and have manager place them in there mail slots so student would know they had a pkg.