DIAD Trick

Hangingon

Just a quick question about falsifying records. I had a few misloads last week, my sup came out and said since we had no drivers available to run the stops he would deliver them. He told me to sheet them in my board as DR FP and he'd drop them off. I refused to do so since I couldn't be sure where he would leave them and to be honest I felt uncomfortable doing so. He then told I was being instructed to do so and I had no choice. Could this be considered falsifying records?
He's a new driver sup, never drove and was in HR for last several years. He was very surprised when I informed him I'd be filling out a grievance letter for him doing hourly work since, as he explained to me, he was only trying to help.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
hanging on

Filing the grievance is your way of covering yourself. First he is doing hourly work. Then, if for some reason one of the packages ends up missing, or has happened here the package was not delivered and he brought it back and it was delivered the next day (which raises eyebrows with the bean counters and plays havoc with the tracking system) your hind end is covered.

We had the later happen here a few years ago and the driver almost lost his job over it.

Rule of thumb is, if you are instructed to do something that is wrong, but not illegal or unsafe, you must comply with those instructions, but then file on them. In the case of illegal or unsafe, call your shop steward or BA and get them involved. Usually management will back down from pushing issues such as that.

d

spidey

Hangingon said:
Just a quick question about falsifying records. I had a few misloads last week, my sup came out and said since we had no drivers available to run the stops he would deliver them. He told me to sheet them in my board as DR FP and he'd drop them off. I refused to do so since I couldn't be sure where he would leave them and to be honest I felt uncomfortable doing so. He then told I was being instructed to do so and I had no choice. Could this be considered falsifying records?
He's a new driver sup, never drove and was in HR for last several years. He was very surprised when I informed him I'd be filling out a grievance letter for him doing hourly work since, as he explained to me, he was only trying to help.

Don't do this. I repeat, DON'T DO THIS. He will be gone before you can blink an eye. Frankly I'm shocked as hell that he came from HR and tried this. This type of practice will hand him his hat at the door. Don't be a part of it, report it to the center manager immediately, go to the Division manager if nothing is done. If it was ignorance he needs to be heavily trained before he can act as a responsible driver sup. If it wasn't he needs to be gone.

OldManAllowance

Your On Road Sup'v should have a DIAD with him, that is if someone from H.R. knows how to use one. This way the center can contact him and he won't waste cell phone minutes. Less of a chance to be distracted while driving! As far as the grievance...what of the guy who loaded it in the first place...does he get held accountable?

Hangingon

Our loaders aren't disciplined on misloads. I have a senior loader, and atm they are so hard up for PTers sticking around, as long as it isn't a NDA they don't worry about it.

handrail_hank

spidey said:
Don't do this. I repeat, DON'T DO THIS. He will be gone before you can blink an eye. Frankly I'm shocked as hell that he came from HR and tried this. This type of practice will hand him his hat at the door. Don't be a part of it, report it to the center manager immediately, go to the Division manager if nothing is done. If it was ignorance he needs to be heavily trained before he can act as a responsible driver sup. If it wasn't he needs to be gone.
This has happened in our center several times over the last few months and our center manager was one who actually delivered the packages for a driver. This is not just a sup thing, it is coming from the center manager.

oakland

Don't do it and hell yes refuse to do it. There isn't a center manager or division manager that would risk their job to give a case like this to labor. DON'T EVER SHEET PACKAGES THAT YOU DON'T DELIVER YOURSELF PERIOD.

spidey

handrail_hank said:
This has happened in our center several times over the last few months and our center manager was one who actually delivered the packages for a driver. This is not just a sup thing, it is coming from the center manager.

Call the division manager. Call HR. The person who stops it will be the one with a job. This is an unacceptable practice.

browniehound

I don't get it. Which is it? Refuse to work as directed, get fired? Work as directed, get fired? I think you should work as directed. Frankly, the only thing you'll ever get fired for and not get your job back is stealing or being drunk or in possesion of drugs, I do believe.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You can also get fired for insubordination. And they can make it stick, believe me.

The best way is ask for clarification of what is being asked, then documentation either by having it done in writing (not an option out on road) or by another hourly or management team member being made aware of the situation. And just dont refuse, that is not the proper way to approach it. Act confused and keep repeating that you think that you have problems with the situation because you believe that it is dishonest, and surely your sup would never ask you to do something dishonest.

While we have not had any management fired for this practice ( they have been disciplined) there have been others in our district that have. It is just as dishonest as changing time cards. The way labor looks at it, if they deliver, they are to take a diad with them to record and document what they delivered.

If you do not have any way to document the deliveries with management delivering them for you, the unions stand is to deliver them as per instructions, then file. Get them to print off your delivery records for the day and identify the stops. And do call your shop steward and BA as soon as possible. Nothing says I love you more than having someone else actually see one or two of the deliveries being made.

d

happybob

Feeders
How every individual handles this situation will be different. Me, I would hand the sup the diad and tell him to enter the information he wants. I will not falsefy documents for any supervisor, or manager for that matter. It is an act of dishonesty, and no panel would allow the company to discharge you for this type of refusal to follow instructions. After the supervisor enters the information he wants, you should go back into the diad and make a notation in the remarks field, something like, Sup sheeted and delivered. When you get the earliest chance contact your local union and speak with them about what happened and what you did, i.e had the sup sheet the packages. That evening when you return I would contact your steward and let him know that you wish to grieve management doing your work. It doesn't matter how far away these stops are, you should be the one delivering them. Yes, it is happening all over the country, missorts being delivered my management. Will it ever be stopped, NO. The company knows it is more profitable for them to have sups delivering them then it is to have a union worker doing it. Does that mean we all roll over and let the company violate the contract at will, NO. Those that wittness, and in some instances take part in these actions, need to take the actions to make them pay for it. I have known individuals that wanted to get out early and have gone and met up with their sups to give them some or their work. In this instance I did nothing, only out of my desire to never inplicate another union member, but it must stop, maybe some day it will.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It is an act of dishonesty, and no panel would allow the company to discharge you for this type of refusal to follow instructions.

Bob, dont be so sure about that. I have seen panels do some really strange things. I would never bet on a decision where my job was on the line.

I will not falsefy documents for any supervisor, or manager for that matter.
Thats right, you didnt. But it is your board and your name in the time card portion of that board. Everything entered in that board is your baby.
After the supervisor enters the information he wants, you should go back into the diad and make a notation in the remarks field, something like, Sup sheeted and delivered

Unless you are using a different version of diad, you can not go into a completed stop and edit it in any way, including adding information such as you suggest.

As for the rest of the post, you are right on. Excepting that it might one day stop. Not in your wildest dream. Been in on too many hearings to think that will ever change. Far too many times upper management has stated that they will never stop. They are playing the odds. First off many times we dont even know they are delivering. Then when we do, many times we do nothing. The few times we do something, we have to dance through hearings and sometimes get the pay. The way they look at it, they only pay 5% of the time worked by management through the grievance process, and we have to catch them at it. So unless the language changes in the contract where we get say 10 times the time worked by management, there will never be a change. It saves them too much money and makes them look bad to have the missed.

d