"Discharged" back in February, still working.

undies

So I was written up with a discharge for a non-cardinal sin offense(appearance) and went out on route the same day and have been working since. I have not heard mention of said write up from management. 1 week ago there was an issue with me being laid off and not being informed, I went in to work and was sent home, with pay. They ended up calling back all laid off drivers rather than work me and violate all the senior drivers above me. My BA informed me a few days later that NOW my manager wants to hear the grievance/write up. I was really hoping this would go away but it seems my manager is pretty pissed at me and wants to get rid of me? Any opinions on how this may go? Does the length of time matter? I've been really good in all aspects regarding the discipline issue and have been trying my damndest to stay under the radar, I can't help but worry just a little bit.

undies

Yes, I believe he is. He had some interesting things to say, just no specifics. He said not to worry. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Upspooch

It is all a scare tactic to rattle you. Have your local hearing and get it over with. Your not going to get fired. Don't let them friend with you. Good Luck.

Upspooch

Re: "Discharged" back in February, still working.

I've never seen that in 28 years! Maybe he means suspension.

stink219

"Discharged" back in February, still working.

I'm thing a violation of appearance standards? Out of uniform? Unshaven? Who knows.

QKRSTKR

Don't worry. Your hearing will happen, it won't just go away. You've worked this long, you really think after 3 months they will walk u out? Union doesnt care when your hearing is as long as you are working.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yes, it definitely matters how much time has passed since your "infraction". Where I'm at, outside of an accident, they have seven days to write you up, otherwise, tough titties. Also here, if you get in an accident, and you call them and tell them, but they don't come out and take you off the truck and allow you to continue working, you're home free. This has happened more than few times. A driver will hit something, call it in, and be allowed to carry on. Later, when management tries to fire our discipline the driver, nothing happens, other than that supervisor who let the driver drive gets his ass kicked in by his bosses.

Immediately file a grievance to have the matter dropped because it wasn't heard in a timely matter. Case closed.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Yes, it definitely matters how much time has passed since your "infraction". Where I'm at, outside of an accident, they have seven days to write you up, otherwise, tough titties. Also here, if you get in an accident, and you call them and tell them, but they don't come out and take you off the truck and allow you to continue working, you're home free. This has happened more than few times. A driver will hit something, call it in, and be allowed to carry on. Later, when management tries to fire our discipline the driver, nothing happens, other than that supervisor who let the driver drive gets his ass kicked in by his bosses.

Immediately file a grievance to have the matter dropped because it wasn't heard in a timely matter. Case closed.
If they don't do anything by October it'll drop off anyway. I'm pretty sure there's a 9 month statutes of limitations in our contract. We had a guy on working termination for a few months over here. If they were going to get rid of you, it would have happened already. You'll wind up with a time served suspension or something of that ilk.

undies

Re: "Discharged" back in February, still working.

Appearance? How do u get a warning letter for that?

Im an idiot and would forget to take out my plugs(earrings). I've filed a few harassment grievances as well, my management team does not like me. Our new division manger even came up to me and called me "the guy with the plugs".

SouthernComfort

I can answer this question with absolutely the most amount of experience. I don't remember exact time stamps but a few years back I was getting really bad infections on my face from shaving everyday, I got a staph infection on my neck and had to spend the night in the ER because the infection was close to getting into my blood stream. My manager was pissed I called into work, when I returned I refused to shave until UPS got me an appt with "their" dr. I was written up for appearance failure about a week after being back(with little scruff). I got the Dr appt the next week, thus allowing me another day off.... and THEIR Dr wrote me an indefinite no shave note, I was the FIRST driver in my hub of almost 500(feeder and pkg) drivers to get the shave waiver. However, the write up for appearance stuck because it happened before I got the shave note.(grievance filed)
*paint target on back now*
About a week later, I was tailed by my manager on route.... caught me with my sleeves rolled up... I got a warning letter for appearance.(grievance filed)
A week later, coming into the hub after driving my route an on-road caught me with my top button un done and was issued a warning letter and proposed 3 day suspension.(grievance filed)
About 2 weeks after that(it was peak) I came in one morning with a black under armor long sleeve under my shirt....but I was wearing a UPS issued jacket, at exactly one minute after start time I was approached by my manager, which whom notified me I was out of appearance guidelines because only a brown or white shirt can be worn as an under shirt and was issued a termination.(grievance filed and harassment grievance filed)
I must note that after I got the shave waiver a flood of employees rushed to the same Dr to all get shave waivers, maybe 20.... trust me, UPS was pissed that I started the "no shave trend"
My "working termination" case went to local panel and was denied by UPS's current labor manager(which whom Id had prior issues with as a center manager years before).
"Working termination" went to Regional Panel 750 miles away from my home which I attended..... At panel it was all but laughed at that they tried to fire me over rolled up sleeves, a shirt button, and a black shirt...all different offenses. The termination didnt stick, not that it has an absolute chance in hell of sticking....
When I returned, with a better understanding of the appearance code... I wore yellow sunglasses, a pink wrist watch, and a necklace with a sharks tooth on it for a week... considered a bozo the clown wig but it was too itchy....
I only really wore that jazz in and out of the building to make a statement, even though it stressed my steward out... I helped pave a road to that made mgmt realize it could be worst.... No talk in the contract about what color my sunglasses can be!
I hope this helps.... it sure was an interesting few months.

SouthernComfort

I forgot to add that the "company dermatologist" just so happened to be my mother's dermatologist that he treats her for a serious skin condition that her insurance doesnt cover and she pays his office out of pocket. I also forgot to mention that he told me to send every single driver his way that wanted a shave waiver, UPS was paying him for my appt. kind of like our DOT physical.... since then about 25% of our drivers have gotten shave passes and that was about 3 years ago.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I can answer this question with absolutely the most amount of experience. I don't remember exact time stamps but a few years back I was getting really bad infections on my face from shaving everyday, I got a staph infection on my neck and had to spend the night in the ER because the infection was close to getting into my blood stream. My manager was pissed I called into work, when I returned I refused to shave until UPS got me an appt with "their" dr. I was written up for appearance failure about a week after being back(with little scruff). I got the Dr appt the next week, thus allowing me another day off.... and THEIR Dr wrote me an indefinite no shave note, I was the FIRST driver in my hub of almost 500(feeder and pkg) drivers to get the shave waiver. However, the write up for appearance stuck because it happened before I got the shave note.(grievance filed)
*paint target on back now*
About a week later, I was tailed by my manager on route.... caught me with my sleeves rolled up... I got a warning letter for appearance.(grievance filed)
A week later, coming into the hub after driving my route an on-road caught me with my top button un done and was issued a warning letter and proposed 3 day suspension.(grievance filed)
About 2 weeks after that(it was peak) I came in one morning with a black under armor long sleeve under my shirt....but I was wearing a UPS issued jacket, at exactly one minute after start time I was approached by my manager, which whom notified me I was out of appearance guidelines because only a brown or white shirt can be worn as an under shirt and was issued a termination.(grievance filed and harassment grievance filed)
I must note that after I got the shave waiver a flood of employees rushed to the same Dr to all get shave waivers, maybe 20.... trust me, UPS was pissed that I started the "no shave trend"
My "working termination" case went to local panel and was denied by UPS's current labor manager(which whom Id had prior issues with as a center manager years before).
"Working termination" went to Regional Panel 750 miles away from my home which I attended..... At panel it was all but laughed at that they tried to fire me over rolled up sleeves, a shirt button, and a black shirt...all different offenses. The termination didnt stick, not that it has an absolute chance in hell of sticking....
When I returned, with a better understanding of the appearance code... I wore yellow sunglasses, a pink wrist watch, and a necklace with a sharks tooth on it for a week... considered a bozo the clown wig but it was too itchy....
I only really wore that jazz in and out of the building to make a statement, even though it stressed my steward out... I helped pave a road to that made mgmt realize it could be worst.... No talk in the contract about what color my sunglasses can be!
I hope this helps.... it sure was an interesting few months.

What a load of BS.