Do preloaders get in trouble for misleads?

Indecisi0n

I get misleads just about every day. Now I understand they cover a lot of cars but the thing that bothers me is I get yelled at for reporting loads after a certain time. I understand they need to know about the misleads by a certain time but sometimes a letter is crammed under a box andI miss it. The bi have to get the same speech from my manager like I'm a five year old. I was curious if they give the preloaders crap for this to?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, preloaders get spoken to for their misloads. In my center they use a dry erase board to list the preloaders by name and number of misloads. One guy (Tony) had 7 misloads in one day.

Just make sure that you use the misload function in the DIAD. Report them as soon as you find them but don't waste time digging through the car looking for them.

Indecisi0n

Re: Do preloaders get in trouble for misloads?

Yes, preloaders get spoken to for their misloads. In my center they use a dry erase board to list the preloaders by name and number of misloads. One guy (Tony) had 7 misloads in one day.Just make sure that you use the misload function in the DIAD. Report them as soon as you find them but don't waste time digging through the car looking for them.
I was told by my boss to do just that:dig through my truck before a 2PM everyday. I do use the mislead function but if it's at like 2:30pm they throw a fit and ask why I haven't gone through my truck sooner. I tell them because I'm busy doing my job.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Re: Do preloaders get in trouble for misloads?

I was told by my boss to do just that:dig through my truck before a 2PM everyday. I do use the mislead function but if it's at like 2:30pm they throw a fit and ask why I haven't gone through my truck sooner. I tell them because I'm busy doing my job.

Maybe it's time to start calling them at 14:30 to let them know how many business stop you will have missed, because you stopped to tear your car apart.

BrownArmy

When sending in a misload message, I use the comments section...

I had two misloads today that were really packages with the wrong pal on them...pal'd to my truck, but wrong package, wrong town, and I put that in the comments section so hopefully the preloader won't take the hit.

Also, when the add/cut madness happens twenty minutes before go time and a few packages get left on the original truck, are those really 'misloads'? More like add/cuts that didn't make the cut. If I can get those off, I usually won't send in a misload message.

They're really hammering us about sending in the misloads via the DIAD though...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When sending in a misload message, I use the comments section...

I had two misloads today that were really packages with the wrong pal on them...pal'd to my truck, but wrong package, wrong town, and I put that in the comments section so hopefully the preloader won't take the hit.

Also, when the add/cut madness happens twenty minutes before go time and a few packages get left on the original truck, are those really 'misloads'? More like add/cuts that didn't make the cut. If I can get those off, I usually won't send in a misload message.

They're really hammering us about sending in the misloads via the DIAD though...

Add/cuts that do not make it to your car, while technically misloads, are not really misloads and should fall out of EDD when the driver the work was cut from delivers them.

I disagree with you about the "out of syncs"--while these are not the preloader's fault if they were checking both the PAL and physical address they would be caught before being loaded.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Add/cuts that do not make it to your car, while technically misloads, are not really misloads and should fall out of EDD when the driver the work was cut from delivers them.I disagree with you about the "out of syncs"--while these are not the preloader's fault if they were checking both the PAL and physical address they would be caught before being loaded.
We use to have to double check. They did away with that. As for out-of-syncs, if the write up misloads, they should write up SPA for out-of-sync.

brownedout

Add/cuts that do not make it to your car, while technically misloads, are not really misloads and should fall out of EDD when the driver the work was cut from delivers them.

I disagree with you about the "out of syncs"--while these are not the preloader's fault if they were checking both the PAL and physical address they would be caught before being loaded.
These add/cuts that don't find their proper cars should absolutely be on the loader. If the shelves were loaded even remotely adequate, these packages can be found and routed to right car. Smalls that are assigned a 8500 or above HIN that are so carelessly thrown onto shelf they are now in the 4700 area. It seems the only time my loader does the right thing by covering an 8000 sec irreg with a RDL or FL4, the pkg should have been moved. Otherwise I'm sliding it around for an hour or 2.

As for out of syncs or flips, the loaders are instructed to check every 10 packages for PAL/ address label match. So my truck with an avg of 250 pieces should have 25 packages checked. I can see how this can easily become 10 or lower.

To answer the OP's question, the loader does not get in trouble for misloads(off routes), once it's on the truck it is now the driver's problem.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yes, preloaders get spoken to for their misloads. In my center they use a dry erase board to list the preloaders by name and number of misloads. One guy (Tony) had 7 misloads in one day.

Just make sure that you use the misload function in the DIAD. Report them as soon as you find them but don't waste time digging through the car looking for them.

That is an Art. 37 violation; anything that could be used for disciplinary purposes is not supposed to be publicly posted in the center.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I send a misload text message whenever I find an off-area misload that I will not be able to deliver myself, and then immediately scan it and record it as "missed". Other than that, I do not fill out misload cards or document the poor condition of the load; I let my overallowed hours do the talking for me. The poor loads I typically get are not the fault of the preloader, they are the fault of his incompetent management team that has made a calculated business decision to set him up to fail so that they can look good on a report. They could care less about the quality of the load, they only care about maintaining an impossible PPH. If they dont care about load quality, why should I?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

These add/cuts that don't find their proper cars should absolutely be on the loader. If the shelves were loaded even remotely adequate, these packages can be found and routed to right car. Smalls that are assigned a 8500 or above HIN that are so carelessly thrown onto shelf they are now in the 4700 area. It seems the only time my loader does the right thing by covering an 8000 sec irreg with a RDL or FL4, the pkg should have been moved. Otherwise I'm sliding it around for an hour or 2.

As for out of syncs or flips, the loaders are instructed to check every 10 packages for PAL/ address label match. So my truck with an avg of 250 pieces should have 25 packages checked. I can see how this can easily become 10 or lower.

To answer the OP's question, the loader does not get in trouble for misloads(off routes), once it's on the truck it is now the driver's problem.

Which loader? The loader the work is being added to or the loader the work is being cut from?

Also, you last sentence is incorrect. While it does become the driver's problem the blame is on the preloader.

brownedout

Which loader? The loader the work is being added to or the loader the work is being cut from?

Also, you last sentence is incorrect. While it does become the driver's problem the blame is on the preloader.
In my example it is generally the same loader moving the work from the A rte. to the B rte. or vice versa.

And I wish my last sentence was incorrect but unfortunately this has become the norm.

BrownArmy

What are you disagreeing with? Re-read what I wrote: I sent these in as misloads, and commented why they were misloaded. On these, if the preloader's going to take a hit, he's going to take a hit.

Right, except I was referring to add/cuts from my car to another.

When they take work off my car that I usually don't get to until 1800 and move it to another car that has to do that split between 1100-1200, nothing's coming out of anybody's EDD. I don't know that it's not on my car, and the other driver is still ankle deep in package doo-doo because the route he's running should be in a 1000 but he's in a 700...he has no idea if these packages are in his car or not...

Today was a perfect example...

Since it's summer and volume is 'down', the route I was covering has an added 'split' which is otherwise on another route for most of the year...

This 'split' is an office building, 3-4 businesses on the same street, and two adjacent side streets.

All of this is PAL'D to FLR-3. So far, no problem.

But when (only) one of the side streets gets the add/cut, it's up to the preloader to dismantle the entire FLR-3 section, which is basically just a jumble of packages (50+, business and resi), at the last minute. This route is a mess in the summer...I'm not sure who to feel bad about: me having to cover the route, the bid driver for having to run it all summer, or the preloader who's being handed 8lbs of ___ and given a 5lb bag.

Kudos to this loader, he only missed one letter from the add/cut...which is why I ended up nose to tail on the same street with the driver who received the 'add'.

Why send one driver when you can send two or three?

These add/cuts that don't find their proper cars should absolutely be on the loader.

See above...are you saying my preloader should take the ding because he was following inane directions executed at the very last minute? I disagree. I don't know how it is in your center, but in my center they're handing out warning letters to preloaders for misloads like candy on Halloween. I choose not to participate.

As for out of syncs or flips, those are the misloads I that I texted in.

So, you know, we can make service on them.