Does seniority determine who gets to work more hours?

Kis124

we have people start early in the unload, the loaders start 5 minutes later than the unload, and seniority is a JOKE. Every now and then my sup cares about it, but most of our new people don't have a clue about the union, or asking for guarantees. They keep our stewards as far away as possible, and they only appear at discipline times, if that even happens

menotyou

bella amicizia
Does it really trump EVERYTHING? This new guy always shows up 5 minutes before me and steals the good parking spot, can i pull seniority on him for that parking spot?
At my center, I have made my stand on the parking spots. So, no. It doesn't trump on that. :) I have had too many dings in the door. Sorry.

menotyou

bella amicizia
we have people start early in the unload, the loaders start 5 minutes later than the unload, and seniority is a JOKE. Every now and then my sup cares about it, but most of our new people don't have a clue about the union, or asking for guarantees. They keep our stewards as far away as possible, and they only appear at discipline times, if that even happens
You didn't have me as a steward.

brownIEman

Upstate NY supplement.

You have a supplement that does not allow any sort of staggered starts in an inside operation !?

I am impressed. You need to get whoever negotiates your supplements on your national committee.

I am not being sarcastic. Seeing as it is physically impossible in a hub to have packages everywhere at once, you have a supplement that actually guarantees people will be paid to do nothing but wait for volume to arrive in their work area. Were those rules in effect in the preload I helped supervise, I would have had somewhere on the order of 50-60 employees waiting for something to do for anywhere from 7-15 minutes every day.

Or, to put it another way. That is 6 hours every day, using the lower of both numbers, totally non productive time. If it were not enforced by the supplement but employees chose to on their own just stand around and do nothing, that would be 6 hours of time stolen from the company each and every day. Whoever negotiates for the company in your area needs to be slapped. And fired. Not necessarily in that order.

anonymous4

Not that I disagree with staggered start times, but in general I see loaders who have a 7 minute late start logging into scanners, adjusting load belts etc before they begin to get paid. This is exploitation and is give and take. If I had a 7 minute late start, don't expect me to start these things until I am being paid. It can sometimes take an additional 5-7 minutes to find a functioning scanner despite these costing more than the average PT teamsters net worth.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It is on Pg 179, Section 2, Art. 53.

You have a supplement that does not allow any sort of staggered starts in an inside operation !?

I am impressed. You need to get whoever negotiates your supplements on your national committee.

I am not being sarcastic. Seeing as it is physically impossible in a hub to have packages everywhere at once, you have a supplement that actually guarantees people will be paid to do nothing but wait for volume to arrive in their work area. Were those rules in effect in the preload I helped supervise, I would have had somewhere on the order of 50-60 employees waiting for something to do for anywhere from 7-15 minutes every day.

Or, to put it another way. That is 6 hours every day, using the lower of both numbers, totally non productive time. If it were not enforced by the supplement but employees chose to on their own just stand around and do nothing, that would be 6 hours of time stolen from the company each and every day. Whoever negotiates for the company in your area needs to be slapped. And fired. Not necessarily in that order.
It is a nice deterrent to sups who feel the need to 'help' by touching packages that they aren't suppose to touch. I like the clause, personally.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never said any of this. I was simply responding to a post asking if the reference given was in the NMA or a supplement. It is in the Upstate NY Supplement. I quickly read it and it does not specifically address staggered start times. We have them in my center and they do make sense.

UPSGUY72

I never said any of this. I was simply responding to a post asking if the reference given was in the NMA or a supplement. It is in the Upstate NY Supplement. I quickly read it and it does not specifically address staggered start times. We have them in my center and they do make sense.

We have them in my center if the preload is wrapped it helps with the traffic in morning with 100 + cars not trying to leave the building at once. If the preload isn't wrapped it a cluster.

menotyou

bella amicizia

I said it.