Dont buy gas on May 15th

rod

Retired 22 years
No gouging going on? That's easy to say if you are among the ones that are enjoying record setting profits every quarter.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I buy gas when my tank is at the 1/4 mark. Luckily, I only have to buy once a month. All my places for errands are really close.....store, bank, Starbucks, etc.

Hubby is a different story.....once a week for him....buying gas, that is.

My only rule is "NO CITGO" because of the Venezuela connection. Easy to follow because we have no Citgo close to us.

Leftinbuilding

Wonder what will happen when the public gets fed up with using UPS because we are higher then everyone else? Could get real close to home. Exxon-Mobile makes their money in drilling and refining, not at the corner gas station. In fact, in our area (300,000 plus) there are no Exxon-Mobile stations. A one day protest is laughable.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Michael Jackson is back living in Las Vegas. Poor soul thinks he can put a show together and people will actually PAY to see him.......NOT !!!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oh, one more thing.....Michael is the only person I know of who started out as a black boy and turned into a white woman. :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous loader

I would love for some troublemaking legislator to get gasoline taxes handled like sales taxes rather than excise duties. If consumers got to see the extra $.62 a gallon bite (2006 national average) that the state and federal governments are taking, maybe we'd be directing our angst about windfall profits at a more worthy target.

Yeah, paying for highways with gas tax dollars is so horrible!

S

Smart guy

You guys really are uneducated arent you? (note that i didnt call you stupid, just uneducated.)

Getting paid $27 an hour to drive a truck probably kept you from ever trying to understand how the gasoline distribution machine works.

The system is dependent on consumers constantly purchasing gasoline.

If a significant portion of people decided to not buy gasoline on a certain day, there would be a large traffic jam in the distribution line. It would indeed provide a major shock to the supply line.

I'll put this in terms you truck drivers might understand: What would happen if, for one day, most customers refused their packages? "Oh, they'd just get them delivered the day before or the day after." Obviously not that simple, buddy.

tups

You guys really are uneducated arent you? (note that i didnt call you stupid, just uneducated.)

I'll put this in terms you truck drivers might understand: What would happen if, for one day, most customers refused their packages? "Oh, they'd just get them delivered the day before or the day after." Obviously not that simple, buddy.

HAH!!! Then all the packages would be RTS'd, no one would get anything, either the day before OR the day after. The only ones getting their packages would be the shippers. Then they would have to pay us again to re-ship to the customer. In which case us truck drivers will be over-dispatched and everyone would roll over 10, and we'd all get fatter paychecks, and we'd be able to afford that over priced gallon of gas!!!!

Hey, I'm not claiming that I'm a rocket scientist, but I did graduate college, and this just doesn't seem like a comparison that measures holds water. I don't think a one day boycott is of any use, but I do think boycotting the big oil companies is a way to go.

disneyworld

Getting paid $27 an hour to drive a truck probably kept you from ever trying to understand how the gasoline distribution machine works.

If a significant portion of people decided to not buy gasoline on a certain day, there would be a large traffic jam in the distribution line. It would indeed provide a major shock to the supply line.

Thanks for your useless post. I've forgotten more than you know.

nvnative

UPS Freight Driver
before driving for ups freight i delivered gas for eight years. an average of 70,000 gallons a day, 350,000 a week.just me one driver. not buying gas for one day doesnt prove a thing. make a point and ride a bike for a week or a month to drastically change the amount you use. then the problem is the less oil america buys china gets it that much cheaper

Dutch Dawg

If there is one thing this thread has learned me it's the consumer as a faction is highly unlikely to ever control the price of fuel. Cohession appears to be lacking when it comes to opinions about the cost of fuel. I gotta go buy the 40+ gallons of gas we'll be using in our toys this weekend, later.

hoser

Industrial Slob

stupid people know they're smart. you're really stupid. not just arrogant, but stupid, too.

first off, to think that crude oil supply would be suffer a "major shock" because regular consumers would not buy petrol in a day is so stupid, i do not know what to say. maybe that consumer petrol is such a small segment of oil consumption and it doesn't hold a candle to what airlines, industrial operations, and commodities traders go through.

the system is not based on consumers "constantly buying gas", it's based on "supply and demand". and then you have to factor in the cost of processing a barrel of crude into 91 octane gasoline, then transporting that to the pumps.

on 16 may, a day after the "massive shock", there will be demand of the so-called boycotter ALONG with the people that were anticipating a fill-up on 16 may. supply, demand, work that monkey in that brain... THAT'S RIGHT! MORE DEMAND THAN SUPPLY! therefore price goes... yep, you guessed right, WAY UP! oil companies profit big time, they get more cigars and lap dances, and they get to actually rightfully laugh at the boycotter fools!

then there's the whole notion of seriously believing that every consumer will not buy gas on 15 may. if you seriously believe that, then you are as stupid as the people so you so detest. you are what you hate, after all.

oh, and you may be boycotting the product, but as long as you're still consuming it (driving your car to work, taking the bus to work), you're still a tool to it. you just get the false self-gratification that you stuck it to billion dollar petrol company.

leave the economics to the economists, not a babbling old man on his soap box that patronizes his audience like yourself.

705red

Browncafe Steward
This was done in 97, the next day prices were down 35 cents a gallon. What do we have to lose? Lets all give it a shot and see what happens. Lets see if we brown cafe can all come together and prove a point!

bigbrown.uk

i wish i could buy gas a 3bucks a gallon thats about one pound fifty pence here in the uk . we pay about five pounds agallon here thats aoubt 8 bucks a gallon and most of that is tax .

hoser

Industrial Slob
This was done in 97, the next day prices were down 35 cents a gallon. What do we have to lose? Lets all give it a shot and see what happens. Lets see if we brown cafe can all come together and prove a point!
way too many people think that this is sticking to the man. not BUYING gasoline but STILL CONSUMING IT. as much as you may think you're sticking it to them by looking on websites where you can save $0.02/gallon then wasting $0.04/gallon in gas to get there, you're really not.

the only way you can "make a point" is by not purchasing gas. ride a bike. walk. for you to even come close to "make a point", you gotta at least not consume gas on that day.

UPS Lifer

I'll be buying gas on May 15th if I need gas. In the end, if you still drive a car, you're still going to need gas. The way to combat it would be to stop consuming it altogether. I think this is a silly idea by reactionaries.

I was thinking the same thing....but i did some RE-thinking on this. Hear me out! If we all stopped buying on one day, it would send a message that we are tired of the way we are getting raped at the pumps. There is power in numbers. The gas stations who were ordering gas refill of the tanks would probably be one day off. It would put a kink in the delivery system. Yea ..we still have to buy gas but we also need to send a message.

Pip

Want to lower the price of gas? Build more refineries. That is whats driving up the price of gas. There hasn't been a new refinery built in probably 25 yrs. There is plenty of oil, but not enough refinery's to process it.

Recently, look what happened when Katrina slammed the gulf coast damaging the refineries down there. Prices skyrocketed. This year there were what, 2 fires at refinery's, 1 in Oklahoma, and 1 California, i think. Prices have steadily been going up since.

There is no incentive for the big oil companies to build more refinery's because they can control the price better. just look at Exxon's profits the last couple years.