DOT physical - sleep apnea

SnowCitizen

I tried a search but couldn't find an answer to this specific question.

If you go in for the DOT physical and say you have sleep apnea and successfully use CPAP, is it pretty much a non issue then, or will they need some more documentation.

Thank you

upschuck

We have had a few drivers use cpap machines. Shouldn't be a problem.
According to the FMCSA website:
The good news is that sleep apnea is a highly treatable disorder. A continuous positive airway pressure machine is the most effective therapy, requiring patients to wear a nasal mask during sleep. The mask, connected to a pump, gently forces compressed air into the nasal passages at pressures high enough to open the airway from the inside. In addition, people with sleep apnea can loose weight, avoid alcohol prior to bedtime, and avoid sleeping on their backs. Other treatments include the wearing of oral devices and surgery to remove enlarged tonsils, adenoids, nasal polyps, or other growths. Deviated nasal septums or unusually formed jaws or soft palates can also be corrected surgically.
Once you have received treatment for sleep apnea and comply with your treatment plan, you can do your job as safely as someone who doesn’t have the disorder.

reydluap

I had to have a report from my sleep apnea doctor showing that I have been under his care and that all of my apnea charts were read and approved. As long as the "Physical" examiner can see that you are under professional care, everything will go smooth.