Driver Helper Complaint

OptimusPrime

The only issues I have with helpers are the one that come on BC and complain about what the driver does and having to actually do a little work. the kicker is that they signed up for the job...

Pay has little to do with helper complaining most helper (not all ) are chronically unemployed because they have no work ethics. They want the paybut don't want to work....

I started out on the inside making $8.50 and I worked my way up to a $31.785 job I didn't complain about the low starting pay. I got another FT job (4 ten hr days ) to go along with my PT UPS gig until I got a FT UPS job. That how the life works you want something you work for it.

Some of you old timers could use some perspective. Don't know when you started, but I figured you probably have 25 years in. In comparison of 1987 to 2011(that is the last year the calculator uses) something costing $8.50 is now around $16.50. Gas was around .95 a gallon. It's now 4X that. A new worker could easily use 2 gallons getting to work. (Not unlikely they have a crappy car with bad mileage) So roughly five of the hours a week they work just go to gas. And the clunker probably burns/leaks oil as well.

This whole idea that somehow this generation is just some lazy "whipper snappers" is asinine. Minimum wage back then was $3.35. You were making over double that. You aren't some Clint Eastwood curmudgeon type badass who roughed it through some tough times. The exact opposite. You were getting paid extremely well.

UPSGUY72

Some of you old timers could use some perspective. Don't know when you started, but I figured you probably have 25 years in. In comparison of 1987 to 2011(that is the last year the calculator uses) something costing $8.50 is now around $16.50. Gas was around .95 a gallon. It's now 4X that. A new worker could easily use 2 gallons getting to work. (Not unlikely they have a crappy car with bad mileage) So roughly five of the hours a week they work just go to gas. And the clunker probably burns/leaks oil as well.

This whole idea that somehow this generation is just some lazy "whipper snappers" is asinine. Minimum wage back then was $3.35. You were making over double that. You aren't some Clint Eastwood curmudgeon type badass who roughed it through some tough times. The exact opposite. You were getting paid extremely well.

Nope didn't start working 25 years ago. However, when I did start I had a wife, one kid and one on the way. I worked PT for UPS on the preload and Ft on another job working 4, 10hr days. I don't need a perspective and I never said I was a bad ass but I do know something and that is that you have to work and earn everything in life. Nothing is given to you if you want something do something about it and earn it don't cry about not having it.

Last edited:

OptimusPrime

Nope didn't start working 25 years ago. However, when I did start I had a wife, one kid and one on the way. I worked PT for UPS on the preload and Ft on another job working 4, 10hr days. I don't need a perspective and I never said I was a bad ass but I do know something and that is that you have to work and earn everything in life. Nothing is given to you if you want something do something about it and earn don't cry about not having it.

Dog****. $20 says you didn't put in 11 years in the building like I did.

ocnewguy

Hit the nail on the head. The "Listen here you little punk, back in my day..." attitude a lot of guys on here have gives me a good laugh.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Nothing is given to you if you want something do something about it and earn it don't cry about not having it.

Terrible attitude. Cry About not having it really? People pay union dues and aren't represented. Haven't seen a wage increase in 25 years. It's not crying, it common sense. I live in a right to work state and if I don't see changes in the next contract you can bet i'm not going to keep paying dues.

A company making a billion dollars in profit a quarter should be able to pay a living wage. To all it's employees.

It's sad that I see best case scenario is current part timers will have wage progression merged with the contract before the one i'm on. They actually DECREASED wage increases for part-timers last contract.

I could cry, I could scream, but I choose to laugh, and just wait the good wait.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

Standards and expectations were were WAY higher then. I started in 84 on the preload and there was no such thing as Misloads. We were also expected to hit stops counts by a margin of no motre than 5 higher or lower AND we had to use charts to load the trucks. I cant EVER remember a Full Time Supe shuttling misloads to drivers , it just DIDNT happen. If one couldnt cut the mustard he was put on Unload until he quit.
It was tougher company to work for then IMO

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I'm on the upper end of the 20-30 year old generation. Yes I consider the generation as a whole to be extremely lazy and worthless. They want something for nothing. I take that back they want everything for nothing.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Nothing is given to you if you want something do something about it and earn it don't cry about not having it.

Terrible attitude. Cry About not having it really? People pay union dues and aren't represented. Haven't seen a wage increase in 25 years. It's not crying, it common sense. I live in a right to work state and if I don't see changes in the next contract you can bet i'm not going to keep paying dues.

A company making a billion dollars in profit a quarter should be able to pay a living wage. To all it's employees.

It's sad that I see best case scenario is current part timers will have wage progression merged with the contract before the one i'm on. They actually DECREASED wage increases for part-timers last contract.

I could cry, I could scream, but I choose to laugh, and just wait the good wait.

You could vote. There are many more part timers than full timers. Oh wait that's the problem part timers don't vote.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You could vote. There are many more part timers than full timers. Oh wait that's the problem part timers don't vote.

I can and do vote, but OH WAIT, the type of worker UPS attracts for 8.50 an hour doesnt give a crap. That's my complaint. The economics of the situation lump the bad in with the good.

UPS is not competitive when it comes to hiring. They mostly get the bottom of the barrel, because thats what they pay for.

Whether you realize it or not it will bite us all in the arse eventually. 6-1 hiring ratio scraping the bottom of the barrel.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Part time was built for 3 types of people. College students, people looking to get benes with their other full time job, and people willing to wait for full time. Be honest, you're loading and unloading a truck. After a year you get an $8 an hour raise with your benes and after 2 you and your family get benes and dental. That works out to be somewhere near $15 an hour. On top of $8 that makes $23. Living wage if you have another job...or a college student...or you're willing to wait. If you're not any of those guys, go find a spot more your style. Everyone starts at the bottom.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Part time was built for 3 types of people. College students, people looking to get benes with their other full time job, and people willing to wait for full time. Be honest, you're loading and unloading a truck. After a year you get an $8 an hour raise with your benes and after 2 you and your family get benes and dental. That works out to be somewhere near $15 an hour. On top of $8 that makes $23. Living wage if you have another job...or a college student...or you're willing to wait. If you're not any of those guys, go find a spot more your style. Everyone starts at the bottom.

Where I'm at the college students go part time sup within a month or two, they asked me on my second week loading if I wanted to go sup. Brown Cafe is part of the reason I had enough sense to turn them down.

I love the benes dont get me wrong. I also have NO problem waiting and putting in my time. However, loading feeders is no walk in the park with the way they treat us now a days. A lot of good employees quit because it just makes more economic sense to go sell cellphones or push shopping carts at costco.

I'm afraid of what this company will be in 5-6 years with the people I see hired today.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Part time was built for 3 types of people. College students, people looking to get benes with their other full time job, and people willing to wait for full time.

You do realize the large breadth of jobs that have converted into part-time over the past 30 years? It's now creeping into professional occupations: a school district local to me recently won approval to convert 25% of teaching positions in middle & high school into part-time positions. This isn't because these teacher's skills are only needed part-time -- it's because the school district can offer lower wages & no benefits, thus saving money. The same thing's happening to accounts, paralegals, etc. We're becoming part-time America. Not because workers want to work part-time -- many work two jobs as it is -- but because job creators are making it so, in order to make bigger profits.

Heck, even UPS experimented (or is still experimenting?) with transitioning on-car sups to part-time several years ago.