Driver helpers

whiskers

Drivers tend to be very impatient with teaching a helper how to use the diad, so they just hand them a box and point them to the door. Helpers also tend to be slow learners, so it's a bad combination.

Yes this does happen. I can see why a driver would not want to spend a lot of time showing a helper how to use a diad, but it is unfortunate for someone like me that is there mainly for the experience.

laffter

Yes this does happen. I can see why a driver would not want to spend a lot of time showing a helper how to use a diad, but it is unfortunate for someone like me that is there mainly for the experience.

When I started helping a couple peaks ago, management knew I would work and not screw around. They put me with a driver who specifically wanted a helper that would stick with him all season. He needed someone who could make bulk deliveries to a shopping area while he sorted his truck out. That required teaching me the basics like scanning, taking signatures, stop completing. If they had thrown me in with a random driver who just wanted to get his day over with, I'm sure he wouldn't have bothered- and I think that's what happens most often.

Helping seems to be just like any other job at UPS. There's minimal "training"... they just throw you in and let you figure it out on your own.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
.....Drivers tend to not have enough time to teach a helper how to use the diad, so they just hand them a box and point them to the door. Helpers also tend to be slow learners, so it's a bad combination.

​fixed it for you.

laffter

​fixed it for you.

Who says there isn't enough time? The driver, or the driver's sups? The first couple days with a new helper may not be the most efficient. What, are you going to get in trouble for showing a helper how to use the diad because you "wasted" 10 minutes? I don't think so.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Who says there isn't enough time? The driver, or the driver's sups? The first couple days with a new helper may not be the most efficient. What, are you going to get in trouble for showing a helper how to use the diad because you "wasted" 10 minutes? I don't think so.

I said there wasn't enough time. Every year, by the time I got a helper, I was already hopelessly over-dispatched. Add to that, the helper I was assigned was usually dumber than a box of rocks (no real offense intended, but they were usually just trying to prove to Unemployment Compensation that they really were looking for a job:wink2:).

Seeing as you are a pre-loader, tell me how I had time to train a helper with 50-70 more stops than usual.

Oh, yeah, I'll think of you guys every day after 11/1, while I'm having my second cup of coffee.:surprised:

I said there wasn't enough time. Every year, by the time I got a helper, I was already hopelessly over-dispatched. Add to that, the helper I was assigned was usually dumber than a box of rocks (no real offense intended, but they were usually just trying to prove to Unemployment Compensation that they really were looking for a job:wink2:).

Seeing as you are a pre-loader, tell me how I had time to train a helper with 50-70 more stops than usual.
You suck!.........just saying!.lol

Oh, yeah, I'll think of you guys every day after 11/1, while I'm having my second cup of coffee.:surprised:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What can I say?:peaceful:

I'll probably wake up with that 'sense of urgency,' and say to myself, "screw that!"

Then, I'll go make coffee.

I'll probably wake up with that 'sense of urgency,' and say to myself, "screw that!"

I just might violate the TOS..................................by saying.......................................................................................go.friend.....................!

iowa boy

Cosmo,

Hopefully, the only sense of urgency you will have when you get up is to pee and grab that first cup of coffee. :happy-very:

whiskers

It would make more sense if management took the time to train the helpers, But we all know most of the stuff they do doesn't make much sense.

I went to driver helper orientation, and they had a diad that they passed around for us to mess with. Didn't learn anything because the orientation was given by HR and security people, and they sure didn't know how to use it.

jaker

trolling
All I want from my helper is to listen to me and move their legs , I will take care of the rest

i have about 140 during the year at peak I hit about 280 so my helper gets 8+ hours a day