Driver training class cancelled?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Whywereoff, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Whywereoff

Whywereoff New Member

Our hub HR recently called about 50 people for package car positions because of retirements, understaffing, and area growth. Trainings were proceeding normally until a week ago "corporate" decided to cancel local classes, and send three people at a time to a facility out of state for training. Anyone else run into this issue? I'm not up for training until the first week of December, and have a hard time believing they won't cancel trainings that first week of peak.

2. fres431

fres431 Active Member

Make sure they get paid travel time, food paid for and mileage when they go! A good ba would get it all paid for. Plus if they travel on sunday that's a work day

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Paid for Sunday? Not gonna happen.

4. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Good luck getting paid mileage and paid for the time. It's usually one or the other, unless they are extremely desperate.

5. Whywereoff

Whywereoff New Member

Honestly after working part time for years now I wouldn't care so long as I got lodging and food. The pay would make itself up. I know what they would owe me though, and right now I just don't want them to cancel.

6. fres431

fres431 Active Member

If happened for 3 of my coworkers left Sunday for class came back Thursday to home hub and was given Friday off in fear of 6th punch. They were paid double time for Sunday per our local supplement. Don't tell me it didn't happen I seen it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. fres431

fres431 Active Member

They were paid for both travel time and mileage and yes these were hourlies. Their food per dium sucked was under $30 a day

8. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone Active Member

You don't get mileage pay. When I went to driving training school 2 years ago I went locally because Integrad in Maryland was full. I am not from that area so I would have had a 2 1/2hr drive to get there. I was told they covering lodging in a hotel is their choice. I'm not sure about meals though.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

When I went they provided the hotel, paid mileage both ways and gave us $10/day to eat.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. Anthonysg0113

Anthonysg0113 Active Member

Me too. When I went to Integrad, it was all paid up front.

11. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

$10 a day to eat. Let's see. $1 mc muffin for breakfast. $1 mc double for lunch and 8 $1 draft beers for dinner. Perfect!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  12. Anthonysg0113

Anthonysg0113 Active Member

Yeah I agree, I recoup all the money during peak when I come in at 9:00 pm each night.

13. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

Maybe they do things differently in all parts of the country but when I went to driving school in 08' and every driver that has been hired on since has had:
    • Either a rental car; or airfare and a rental car; OR mileage paid if using their own car via the same reimbursement form for food
    • Lodging provided
    • Paid travel time to and from (on a Sunday at straight time)
    • All meals and some incidentals paid for by reimbursement

14. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Haven't noobs learned anything. Shut up and keep on moving.

15. 8000Shelf

8000Shelf Active Member

$1 for extra toilet paper with schedule also

16. fres431

fres431 Active Member

Scoob are you in the west?

17. scooby0048

Central

18. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

I'm thankful we didn't have "driving school" when I started. The supervisor was on the car for four or five days and we were on our own. No jump seats back then either, he just hung on to the hand rail all day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. scooby0048

Yeah and they had wooden shelves and that big ass bulkhead door. Thank god some things have changed for the better. Too bad they put a jumpseat in, would be nice to see my supe standing all day while I bumped along those dirt country roads!

20. ibleedbrown

ibleedbrown Active Member

adjusted for inflation the $10 they gave you in 1920 would be worth around $300 nowadays, BOG!!!