Elections

wkmac

A shifting in political power and fortunes?

While the crowd hoisted signs that stated “Virg Surge,” the turnout at the rally was anemic. More than 500 people came to the rally, but the gym at Renaissance High School was only about one-third full, even though Clinton used to command full houses wherever he went, especially in Detroit.

Interesting

Babagounj

Strength through joy
(Chicago Sun Times)- Always-outspoken state Sen. Rickey Hendon on Saturday took aim at Republican gubernatorial nominee Bill Brady at a “get out the vote” rally on the West Side.
“I’ve never served with such an idiotic, racist, sexist, homophobic person in my life,” Hendon said before introducing Gov. Quinn. “If you think that the minimum wage needs to be three dollars an hour, vote for Bill Brady. If you think that women have no rights whatsoever, except to have his children, vote for Bill Brady. If you think gay and lesbian people need to be locked up and shot in the head, vote for Bill Brady.”
Quinn tried to distance himself from the remarks, telling reporters, “I don’t associate myself with those comments.”
“I take total responsibility,” Hendon said. “It’s about time someone called [Brady] out on his voting record. If people don’t like it, take it up with me.”
.............................................................................................................

things are starting to get really ugly.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Yeah, you're probably right, unless all the Dems. smoke too much weed the night before and don't make it to the polls. Gov. Moonbeam, oh boy!

moreluck

golden ticket member
The difference IS what people want to do because of their pride OR what people are forced to do!! Your comparison is inane.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
'I WENT TO VOTE AND HARRY REID'S NAME WAS ALREADY CHECKED'

N CAROLINA: I VOTED REPUBLICAN AND MACHINE CHECKED DEMOCRAT...

wkmac

No More, it was political manipulation by political operatives for the purpose of crowd control. The irony is this is a psychological tactic used by such nefarious movements as the early Russian communist movement or the German Nazi movement as it was coming to power. The whole pledge thing really came into it's own during the FDR years (all those folks before were unpatriotic?) following the grand public displays in Germany. Ever wonder where the Nazis got their straight arm salute? It's purpose was to foster loyality to the grand state and away from one's local community and even family. That should also speak volumes about FDR but he wasn't alone and both parties have fostered this nonsense.

This is nothing more than the mindless pep rallies of people's youth who feel it necessary to prove in some public display that they are true to the cause. It's like someone wearing a T-Shirt with the picture of an execution device as if this display itself proves they have a higher moral standing that allows them to cash out a bigger lottery ticket some day. The politician in the vid applauded and jump to rigid attention because he knew this was a pure vote getter and nothing more. "Ye shall know them by their fruits" is such a fantastic precept yet we ignore it when it counts the most. We keep falling for these tricks and no wonder we end up with the gov't we have, we get what we rightly deserve IMO.

It's nothing more than Pavlov's dog on group scale. Metropolis was about a utopian society based on individuals knowing their place for the betterment of the group or colllectivism if you will (Lang's statment was about the conflict between worker and capitalist). The video posted was perfectly fitting just in that mindset of the utopian state alone. I also could have posted Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine and still be equally true.

[video=youtube;-S33LATregY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S33LATregY&feature=related[/video]

At least I found something in the spirit of non-partisanship! :happy-very:

images

wkmac

BaBa,

How would they rig the vote if no one showed up to vote in the first place? Where is the "consent of the governed" then to mandate any action at all under the so-called social contract? What really changes for the better after any election? Your links seems to suggest voting is a waste of time as the outcome has already been determined! What does that say about the 2008' election? How about 2006'? Now that I got your juices flowing, don't stop there and ask about 2004', 2002', 2000'. etc.

Or do we just suffer from eternal Brain Damage?

addendum: Here's an interesting perspective from a Robert Heinlein influence

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just passing this along......

Ethics Foundation Requests A.G. Holder Investigate Sen. Boxer
Posted By Roger L Simon On October 26, 2010 @ 12:22 am In Uncategorized | 84 Comments
In a breaking development that may affect the close California Senate race, Pajamas Media has learned The Foundation for Ethics in Public Service sent a letter to Eric Holder [1] last Thursday requesting the attorney general “begin an investigation to determine whether United States Senator Barbara Boxer violated any criminal laws or should be liable for any civil penalty for failure to disclose real property on her Personal Financial Disclosure Reports between 2002 and 2010.”
The Foundation for Ethics in Public Service [2] is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization “that seeks to bring a new level of transparency, accountability and integrity to all levels of government in the United States.” Boxer is the chair of the Senate Select Committee on Ethics.
The specific property FEPS is referring to is an Oakland, California, home valued at over a million dollars and co-owned by Boxer, her husband Stewart, their son Douglas, and his wife Amy. The letter to Holder reads in part:
Despite the fact that Senator Boxer had an ownership in 854 Longridge Road [in Oakland], she failed to report this substantial real property asset on any of her personal financial disclosures between 2002 and 2010. She had also failed to report the mortgage on the property. Further, she failed to report the purchase of 854 Longridge Road in 2002. Each year Boxer was required to have filed a “full and complete report.”
The filing of false or incomplete disclosure statements is in violation of the Ethics in Government Act. The Act authorizes the Attorney General of the United States to seek civil penalties against Senators who knowingly and willfully falsify or fail to report required information. The knowing and willful concealment of the existence of substantial amount of real property for a prolonged period may subject Senators to federal criminal prosecution under 18 U.S.C. paragraph 101. [other citations are available at the link]
The Oakland home is currently lived in by Douglas and his wife. This is not the first time Senator Boxer’s son has been the center of controversy [3]. The senator reportedly paid out nearly $500,000 from her campaign contributions to her son’s public relations firm between 2001 and 2009. Those moneys could have been used to pay off the mortgage on the Oakland property, adding urgency to the DOJ investigation sought by The Foundation for Ethics in Public Service and further complicating the legal and ethical issues involved.
Indeed, ethical questions have been dogging the chair of the Senate Select Committee on Ethics of late. According to an October 13 Washington Examiner article by Marta Mossburg (“It’s time for Sen. Barbara Boxer to come clean on her mortgage loans [4]“), Boxer held no fewer than seven mortgages with Countrywide Financial, the company at the center of the mortgage scandal she was investigating as chair of her committee.
Despite the obvious impropriety, Boxer did not recuse herself. Instead she signed as “chair” the letter that exonerated Chris Dodd after the Connecticut senator got favorable mortgage rates from Countrywide. That letter — available at the ethics.senate.gov site [5] — is worth reading now in light of what we have learned of Boxer’s own activities.
If Barbara Boxer is returned to the Senate, she will resume her position as chair of the Senate Select Committee on Ethics. It is she who will preside over investigations into the ethical behavior of our senators.

moreluck

golden ticket member
So, the unions are borrowing money to back candidates, Democratic candidates, and the rank & file will be responsible to pay back the loans. I can't believe there isn't one union person that's a Republican!! :dissapointed:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Today, Joy Behar got roses and a thankyou from Sharon Angle saying she raised $150,000 thanks to Joy's outburst the other day.

I wanted to find the clip, but couldn't.....Joy said that the roses were probably picked by illegals who wouldn't be voting for the "B" word.

First, illegals aren't suppose to vote anyway and that's the 2nd time Joy called Angle the 'B' word. Joy Behar is shakin' in her boots about this election.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Today, Joy Behar got roses and a thankyou from Sharon Angle saying she raised $150,000 thanks to Joy's outburst the other day.

I wanted to find the clip, but couldn't.....Joy said that the roses were probably picked by illegals who wouldn't be voting for the "B" word.

First, illegals aren't suppose to vote anyway and that's the 2nd time Joy called Angle the 'B' word. Joy Behar is shakin' in her boots about this election.

I think its great when the Liberals spew the hate and racist comments for everone to see and hear...it actully helps. Maybe we will get lucky and the Messiah will make another "guns and bible" comment.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
(The Corner) — Yesterday, The View’s Joy Behar said “She’s [Sharron Angle] going to hell, this bitch!” Behar also compared Angle’s latest ad to a “Hitler Youth” commercial.
So today, Angle sent Behar flowers, with a note thanking Behar for helping her raise $150,000 online yesterday.
So what was Behar’s gracious response? “I’d like to point out that those flowers were picked by illegal immigrants,” she tartly said. “And they’re not voting for you, bitch.”
(One would hope they’re not voting at all, actually.)
And when Barbara Walters told Behar she shouldn’t be saying that anyone was going to be in Hell, Behar responded with another logical tour de force, “I don’t believe in Hell. And I don’t believe she’s going there.”
“She [Angle] could have taken that $500 [Behar’s guess for the cost of the flowers] and maybe had some sensitivity training with it. … Don’t send me flowers, Sharron. Put your money where your mouth is,” Behar said.
Who wants to bet that Harry Reid campaign staffers are already calling up Behar and begging her to stop being Angle’s best fundraiser?