Exhaust fumes in Sprinter

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Does anybody have aside from fuel economy have anything good to say about Sprinters? Fumes, rust, brake seals, body parts etc. It seems that the fuel economy is offset by the other troubles and the cost to resolve them.
You can stand up in them. It has a good cup holder and places to put stuff in the cab. Lol.

Oldfart

Does anybody have aside from fuel economy have anything good to say about Sprinters? Fumes, rust, brake seals, body parts etc. It seems that the fuel economy is offset by the other troubles and the cost to resolve them.
No DEF gauge. Turbo issues. Hard on frt tires.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Doesn't need a DEF gauge. Just fill when the check def light comes on.
I’ve had my light come on right after I left the station, drove it all day, about 150 miles, and still made it back to the station without putting any in. I keep a spare jug in my truck just in case though.

MAKAVELI

I’ve had my light come on right after I left the station, drove it all day, about 150 miles, and still made it back to the station without putting any in. I keep a spare jug in my truck just in case though.
The first time it comes on is just a warning. It will usually last a couple of days before it limits the number of starts. Even then it will be at least 20 starts before it won't start.

Oldfart

Doesn't need a DEF gauge. Just fill when the check def light comes on.
You drive a spare sprinter and the light comes on at your 1st of 100 stop day. Gonna be holding your breath for the rest of your day or stopping by Oreillys and buying some. We are not allowed to carry a jug of DEF. Several breakdowns were the result of trash getting in the jug and put in the reservoir. We can only fill from the large tank in the warehouse that has a fuel nozzle on it.

I found out recently the Reach has a bubble gauge by the DEF fill cap. We had several issues where the dash gauge showed fluid but it ran out and the bubble gauge was more reliable. Never knew the bubble gauge was there.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The first time it comes on is just a warning. It will usually last a couple of days before it limits the number of starts. Even then it will be at least 20 starts before it won't start.
And if it counts down all the way to no start, it has to be towed to the dealership to be reset/repaired. Proprietary software and all that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Mechanics at our station refuse to add DEF...label it 'driver's responsibility '. Management backs them up.
It’s never been an issue for me when I write it up. I’m not a mechanic. No way am I adding that crap and possibly getting it on my hands. Our mechanics drive their golf cart around with jugs of DEF on them to fill up trucks. I’m sure some of the guys do their own.

It will be fine

It’s never been an issue for me when I write it up. I’m not a mechanic. No way am I adding that crap and possibly getting it on my hands. Our mechanics drive their golf cart around with jugs of DEF on them to fill up trucks. I’m sure some of the guys do their own.
That's probably safer anyway. It costs a lot if anything other than DEF gets in those tanks.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Hey gang. Long time reader, first time poster.

Been driving a Sprinter for a couple years and last December I started noticing exhaust fumes entering the cab, usually through the A.C. It happens once every week or so, usually later in the day. I've written it up each time with the typical mechanic's response being "cannot duplicate problem". Management seems concerned but has not aided in any solution . Several other employees I've talked to experience the same thing, including drivers using the Reach.

Anybody having similar experiences?

Star B

White Lightening
We've been told we're not allowed to add def. The only thing we're allowed to do is fuel the truck. The rest are the mechanics responsibility.
We deal with Washer fluid, Coolant, oil, and DEF. Everything else is VMX.

You can stand up in them. It has a good cup holder and places to put stuff in the cab. Lol.
They are a thousand times better in driver comfort and engine power vs a reach.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We deal with Washer fluid, Coolant, oil, and DEF. Everything else is VMX.

They are a thousand times better in driver comfort and engine power vs a reach.
Not me. Haven’t put any fluid in a vehicle in years. Lol.

My Sprinter sucks for engine power going from a dead stop uphill. I never dare pull out in front of anyone.