Families working in same building?

Wrenn12

I left Brown in 1997, but I saw something several times and I thought it would never happen. Now families can work at UPS? A son as a loader and a Father as a driver in the same building? Wow. I remember so MANY people being fired when HR would snoop through employee files and fire people for Nepotism. (Usually when people used the same beneficiaries is when HR would bring down the ax).

Sometimes they were nice and let you choose. But if you could not chose who would stay, HR would fire the last one hired. Such a huge change to hear. How did this finally come about? Did someone have to sue UPS? Are some managers related in the same building?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I left Brown in 1997, but I saw something several times and I thought it would never happen. Now families can work at UPS? A son as a loader and a Father as a driver in the same building? Wow. I remember so MANY people being fired when HR would snoop through employee files and fire people for Nepotism. (Usually when people used the same beneficiaries is when HR would bring down the ax).

Sometimes they were nice and let you choose. But if you could not chose who would stay, HR would fire the last one hired. Such a huge change to hear. How did this finally come about? Did someone have to sue UPS? Are some managers related in the same building?
The labor pool is shrinking

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I retired three years ago and at the time there were 4 father/son drivers and two husband/wife drivers.
In the old days they wouldn’t hire family so as not to have to pay two people when someone in the family died

oldngray

nowhere special
I retired three years ago and at the time there were 4 father/son drivers and two husband/wife drivers.
In the old days they wouldn’t hire family so as not to have to pay two people when someone in the family died
In the old days they weren't supposed to hire relatives but I knew a manager that hired 3 of his nephews. They had different last name so it wasn't obvious but it was an open secret.

Wrenn12

In the old days they weren't supposed to hire relatives but I knew a manager that hired 3 of his nephews. They had different last name so it wasn't obvious but it was an open secret.
Too funny. But even back then 1990 there were rumors that siblings in the same family worked in different states - and the sister had a different last name due to marriage. And HR found out because they both named their Mom in their death insurance. One was in NY and the other was in NJ.

Wrenn12

When I went to FedEx in 2000, I saw husbands and wives. (FedEx Ground did not hire family either). But they considered their Independent Contractor non-employees so you can have a wife that worked for FedEx Ground, but her husband was an IC and it was okay.

But I saw one horror story. The wife worked in IC settlements and the husband was an IC. The husband had no problem showing her his daily settlements; but when they got a divorce, she could no longer check him in after his Route. But even when we changed clerks, his wife would sift through his settlements every day to find out every cent he made that day and xerox them for her lawyer in the divorce settlement. Really messed up stuff.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Plus, what happens if one becomes a supervisor over the other? Couldn’t do it when I started.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Imagine a driver parked next to you comes in, you’re dating the tranny loader, and your load is perfect, the straight guys is all messed up, now what? Nepotism.
They can't prove that's why mine is perfect though. Maybe they'd all suck otherwise anyway.