are they right?

mam07850

Back in July my siblings and I bought my dad concert tickets for his Father's Day gift. The only issue I saw was that the concert was in the middle of the week and both my brother, and I work in the evenings. I informed my boss that we would need this night off and I was told that I was the only one that could get off since I have seniority, but I was more than welcome to ask the center manager. The center manager told me at the time that I was denied due to the possible strike, but to call back after the first of August. I did so and both my brother and I got approved to take off. I also got the only other person in the building that knows how to do my job to cover me, so they didn't have to worry. I just looked on my timecard and they marked me as "called in" for the day that I was approved off.
I also took a day off in August for a family obligation and they marked it as scheduled off since I found someone to cover my shift for me.
My question is, is this correct? I don't want to be that person that complains, but I feel as though if the day was approved why would it count as one of my sick days? I plan on talking to the steward and the person who does the timecards (which is my supervisor) tonight when I go into work.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In the land of UPS, practice good attendance and if you really need a day off, keep the mouth shut, call in sick.

rod

Retired 22 years
i will for sure just call in sick next time. I have yet to call in sick in the two years I have been here.

I didn't call in sick for the first 17 years I worked. Then I threw my back out and went off on comp for a couple of months. The first week I was off my center manager called me and told me to get my ass back to work because he knew I was faking it. UPS is a HEARTLESS BASTARD.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Back in July my siblings and I bought my dad concert tickets for his Father's Day gift. The only issue I saw was that the concert was in the middle of the week and both my brother, and I work in the evenings. I informed my boss that we would need this night off and I was told that I was the only one that could get off since I have seniority, but I was more than welcome to ask the center manager. The center manager told me at the time that I was denied due to the possible strike, but to call back after the first of August. I did so and both my brother and I got approved to take off. I also got the only other person in the building that knows how to do my job to cover me, so they didn't have to worry. I just looked on my timecard and they marked me as "called in" for the day that I was approved off.
I also took a day off in August for a family obligation and they marked it as scheduled off since I found someone to cover my shift for me.
My question is, is this correct? I don't want to be that person that complains, but I feel as though if the day was approved why would it count as one of my sick days? I plan on talking to the steward and the person who does the timecards (which is my supervisor) tonight when I go into work.
Officially, it should have been "scheduled off" or "personal day".

Brownwind

I may sound dumb, but what does that mean isnt it like 6 every 90 days?
Read your supplement. You can view it on the ups Teamster app. Also if you need a day for a personal reason use a personal day.
Don’t worry about scheduled off or sick day wording. No one cares about it other than you.

JL 0513

I didn't call in sick for the first 17 years I worked. Then I threw my back out and went off on comp for a couple of months. The first week I was off my center manager called me and told me to get my ass back to work because he knew I was faking it. UPS is a HEARTLESS BASTARD.
I believe it. My one and only "injury" years ago was a muscle strain. I barely felt the pull when it happened so finished the night, didn't think much of it. Next day that muscle was out of commission and had to call out. It became a whole big deal because I didn't report it the day of and tried to explain how the pain only presented itself the next day. Anyone who has ever exercised knows that the soreness isn't there while you're still at the gym, but the day after. Center manager literally thought I was faking and gave me such a hard time. To that point, I had never once missed a day. I couldn't believe it.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Our newer generation nowadays is more interested in the lifestyle game than the pride. Come to work on time 258 times in a year and you can straight rip off for day 259, even a day 260.
Of course management strategy nowadays is to get you to develop bad habits so that they can tighten the screws back down on you. And there is nothing more addicting than a few days off from work.

MattM

Our health insurance folks don’t like when we get scheduled days off lumped in with regular working time or even paid time off. So now it’s an all or nothing approach

Your sick time around my way you can use for any sickness/call in up to an hour before shift start. After 2 consecutive days of using sick, you’d need a doctors note. We also have option days and week days to use for predetermined days off
I think 90% of our building would rather just work one day a week and maintain insurance than actually working the job, so yeah. Scheduled/lay off doesn’t really exist

Your area may vary.

Now what the viewer says may not be what your employee record shows. You can maybe ask to check your attendance file to see what they truly coded it as. That’s more for a discipline front. If they hate you, they can hold the call in against you I’m sure

Nah
Talk to your steward. It should be considered scheduled off. If they approved you to take the day off there's no reason your attendance should take a hit.