Families

reydluap

Welcome to the boards Bigdave.

UPS_gal_710 , I too talk to my wife every day at 12:15. I can usually tell her the time frame that I'm going to be home. It's great to hear that someone else works at keeping their marriage fresh.

UPSgf

Thank you all so much for your advice. The hours aren't really that hard to get used to, they are what they are and there is nothing I can do about them. We have already had the "kids" talk and I am definitely fully aware that if they ever happen, I will be a single mom M-friend...he has been very good at not keeping me in the dark about the realities of being a UPS wife. My biggest question was just how to show support for him (and in turn,and in turn how he can support me), and I think you all have answered that!
He has been with the company for almost 13 years now, so it is absolutely in his blood, and I can tell you that if it was about the money I wouldn't really care how to support him because it wouldn't really matter.
Again, thank you all so much for your great responses!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Communicate with your sweety, and understand that hes beat, but the weekend will be all yours, at least so far.
I always keep in touch with mine also. He gives me a call to see how Im doing about noon. 1st break. Then I call him about four to give him an ETA. Lunch 1/2 hr. Then I call him about 630 and tell him to eat dinner without me. 2nd break. Then I call him at 8 and tell him Im on the way home. If he didnt know better he would think I was out playing around. I think thats what happens to many couples, coz they just dont realize when they go into it, the time element. Since we start so late, we work late, but to a spouse eagerly awaiting your return, it must seem like a long time, coz it is.

retired2000

i do not know how big of a center or hub you may work out of but, you may want to check into other job's within ups. like when our children were small i worked in the hub starting at 10pm. just so i could make all of the school plays, ballgames etc.

Brownnblue

I guess I would fall somewhere in-between. I have been a driver for almost 20 years. I have made the majority of my kids school functions, however I was usually late and always had to come in my browns. This would not have been so bad, except after the function there is always someone who wants to have the "I see you work for UPS, how hard do you really work" conversation.
I also coached the kids soccer teams for a number of years, games were on the weekend so that was usually not a problem, but the hoops I had to jump through to have a weekday practice were comical. I actually had to save a website on my browser that told you the exact time of sunset, then plan my practices accordingly. Many times we had to practice right at the tip of the parking lot; the parents would actually park close and turn on their high beems so we could finish.
I think the biggest problem is that the late hours and constant harrassment just get eat away at you; no matter how hard you try not to let it in to your family life it seems to slip in. Minimize that, and you'll be OK.

old levi's

blank space
bigdave987 said:
Service no longer matters so we should shorten our name to United Parcel.

Bigdave

Hello Bigdave, I say keep the S and call it what it really is: United Profit Systems.

Enjoy your retirement.