FedEx Freight lawsuit?

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by BrownBrokeDown, Nov 19, 2015.

1. BrownBrokeDown

BrownBrokeDown Active Member

I saw a headline on facebook and now having problems finding it to read. It was something about a lawsuit about not being paid time to fill out paperwork, etc i think. I believe it was in California. Does anyone know anything about it?

2. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

Haven't heard anything about it, but It wouldn't surprise me.

3. It will be fine

It will be fine Well-Known Member

Sounds like California.

4. TUT

TUT Well-Known Member

You mean sounds right then? I would suspect pretty much any decent person would think you would be paid doing paperwork. That is all part of the job, it's a big part of it actually.

5. Bounty

Bounty Active Member

It will be fine doesn't understand fair pay or labor laws. Remember, he's a contractor.

6. dvalleyjim

dvalleyjim Member

Just talk to buddy in CA. Got 100,000 g's coming form class action. He drove about as much as me. 308 hr. in 7 yrs. Cha-Ching!

7. It will be fine

It will be fine Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the lawyers probably take about 40k and Uncle Sam gets 30% of what's left. Better than nothing but not anything close to the costs incurred by the driver employee.

8. dvalleyjim

dvalleyjim Member

This was for time that multiple van owner operators actually drove a truck themselves from 2000-2007. I don't think I drove that much except to fill in for drivers time off and vacations. I talked to a guy who did and he's getting 300,000.

9. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

Sounds like it'll be a nice Christmas at his house this year.

10. Future

Future Well-Known Member

gipp.gif

11. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

When's my check coming? Oh wait... Still held up in the multi-district.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Is there a way to invest a check that large without incurring the tax hit?

13. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

It's treated as income. You'd have to increase deductions.

14. UpstateNYUPSer

IRA?

15. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

Has limits.
    I have a friend who moves money through non-profits for rich guys. There's ways to do it.

16. dvalleyjim

dvalleyjim Member

Dang, Got my lawyer letter today. They got me down for 168,000.00. It goes back to court march 24 for finalization. FedEx said they aren't fighting it. After that 6-8 weeks to get check. Lawyers took theirs before distribution. Now I need to look into some kinda tax shelter.

17. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

Daddy!!

18. UpstateNYUPSer

www.helpupstateretirearly.com

I accept Paypal.

19. bacha29

bacha29 Well-Known Member

Are we not talking about two seperate pieces of litigation? One involving FedEx Freight and the other the proposed settlement involving California Ground contractors?AS for the ground settlement the guys who are to receive money will almost certainly be subject to backup tax withholding. If paid all in one year, the tax bite will be huge. About the only thing they can hope for is that the IRS or tax court will agree that the pay out should be based on and spread out over the years the law suit covered. I hope those guys out in California are perceptive enough to realize the tax implications are can get themselves set up in the most advantageous way possible. But no some will still take the money squander it on the next instant gratification never realizing for even a moment that it's taxable income and as a result come away in even worse shape than before.

20. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

In which case they never should have been contractors in the first place.

So if the courts found that they were in fact employees, couldn't the IRS step in and take their cut before he foreign the payments are dispersed or require X to withhold applicable taxes?