FeDEX Letters

Not IN Trace

After listening to the earning report yesterday It seems that are letter volume is way down, so it would seem logical that a good place to look for more volume would be fedex overnight letters, yet every time I turn in a sales lead for customers using fedex letters I get the same reasons for the sales not being sold... we cant match the price or wont give the customer a better rate, when I go back and ask the the customer how much of a diffence we are talking about it mostly under a dollar, sometimes 10 cents.
This comapny is not serious about getting more and keeping market share, it seems we only sell accounts when ups gets what they want, never giving a little to maybe get more in the end, I am done turning in sales leads, why bother, they either say we cant compete with the price or send it over to mail solutions, its sad, I fell like rome is falling before me.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
After listening to the earning report yesterday It seems that are letter volume is way down, so it would seem logical that a good place to look for more volume would be fedex overnight letters, yet every time I turn in a sales lead for customers using fedex letters I get the same reasons for the sales not being sold... we cant match the price or wont give the customer a better rate, when I go back and ask the the customer how much of a diffence we are talking about it mostly under a dollar, sometimes 10 cents.
This comapny is not serious about getting more and keeping market share, it seems we only sell accounts when ups gets what they want, never giving a little to maybe get more in the end, I am done turning in sales leads, why bother, they either say we cant compete with the price or send it over to mail solutions, its sad, I fell like rome is falling before me.

Keep submitting Sales Leads and YES....UPS is serious about market share.
Rome is NOT falling...it is actually being strengthened. Trust!!!

Not IN Trace

Comming from a guy in sales who;s job depends on leads that advice dosnt surprise me..... to bad UPS is not being truthful about sales.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Letter volume is down for both companies as customers have come to realize that maybe they don't need it overnight. For example, I used to deliver paychecks NDA to Staples every Thursday morning. They are now shipped ground and arrive the next day about 3 hours later than I used to deliver them (different driver delivers their ground) at a substantial savings.

I am sure that you know that it is our price point that is making it much more difficult to secure new volume. There is not much that you or I can do about this but this should not stop us from submitting sales leads which then puts the burden on BD to do their jobs.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I am done turning in sales leads, why bother

Good for you. Turning in sales leads is not your job in the first place. We have a business development department that should be handling that. Every time you go out and turn in a lead that sells, the people in BD make money and their bosses make money, while you get 1000 points on some cheesy card towards a UPS football or a plastic fork and knife set. And that's if the lead is even handled properly! Most people in BD couldn't sell twenty dollar bills for a nickel. I can't remember the last time I wasted the ink to enter a lead.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Good for you. Turning in sales leads is not your job in the first place. We have a business development department that should be handling that. Every time you go out and turn in a lead that sells, the people in BD make money and their bosses make money, while you get 1000 points on some cheesy card towards a UPS football or a plastic fork and knife set. And that's if the lead is even handled properly! Most people in BD couldn't sell twenty dollar bills for a nickel. I can't remember the last time I wasted the ink to enter a lead.

What sense does it make to encourage willing people to NOT help when it benefits the company and ultimately the employees? Jobs are directly related to package volume. More volume = more jobs. Less volume = less jobs.

Its not my job to pick up an air package that fell out of a truck or one that's laying around the building, but it makes good sense doesn't it?

bumped

There just isn't the amount of letters going out anymore because checks don't need to be mailed anymore. Now, checks are being wired bank to bank. Secured e-mail now allows some documents that used to be shipped UPS and Fed Ex are now being e-mail instead.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Its not my job to pick up an air package that fell out of a truck or one that's laying around the building, but it makes good sense doesn't it?

Makes good sense to who? The drivers are the only ones at this company that must do their job right. Imagine where we'd be if that applied to all employees?

over9five

Staff member
First, I will say I am a firm believer in submitting sales leads. Good for the company = good for the employees, union, etc.

BD here has told me they can match or beat FedEx rates. Since I've been back in Package, I have submitted a substantial number of sales leads. I have exactly ONE s+p lead. I am extremely disillusioned with the sales lead program. So what's happening? If we can beat FedEx rates, why aren't shippers flocking to us?

COSMOS

Letter volume is down for both companies as customers have come to realize that maybe they don't need it overnight. For example, I used to deliver paychecks NDA to Staples every Thursday morning. They are now shipped ground and arrive the next day about 3 hours later than I used to deliver them (different driver delivers their ground) at a substantial savings..

What! A separate truck for ground. I thought that was why FedEx can never succeed.... Sorry, couldn't help myself.

UPSGUY72

The thing is that in order for FedEx to get accounts from UPS they give customers prices so low that they actually lose money. UPS isn't going give a customer a price if it can't make money. We have better service and customers that switch to FedEx find that out and come back to UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The thing is that in order for FedEx to get accounts from UPS they give customers prices so low that they actually lose money. UPS isn't going give a customer a price if it can't make money. We have better service and customers that switch to FedEx find that out and come back to UPS.

The comparison here is between UPS and Express, not Ground, so your argument does not hold water. In a weak economy the bottom line is the ultimate decider.

Not IN Trace

What about the volume Fedex already has? This company makes no real effert to show these companys that UPS is a better choice, aND TO BE HONEST THE OLD SAYING that are service is better just dosnt fly anymore, maybe with ground but Fedex kicks are butt in air, sorry it is the truth.

beentheredonethat

You're right, we should offer whatever rate it takes to get the volume from other carriers. After all, that was DHL's plan and it worked...... Oops, never mind!

browniehound

First, I will say I am a firm believer in submitting sales leads. Good for the company = good for the employees, union, etc.

BD here has told me they can match or beat FedEx rates. Since I've been back in Package, I have submitted a substantial number of sales leads. I have exactly ONE s+p lead. I am extremely disillusioned with the sales lead program. So what's happening? If we can beat FedEx rates, why aren't shippers flocking to us?

Great point Over9.5, and I have 2 guesses. I may be totaly off base here, but perhaps 1 reason is the FedEx brand name? People want overnight and they think FedEx. Another reason might be that we at UPS kick the crap out of their packages. Damages are an issue at UPS but the majority could be avoided if the customers packed them correctly.

Still, with all that being said, FedEx ground is a 2nd class operation and I think our customers percieve this...

bbsam

Staff member
Great point Over9.5, and I have 2 guesses. I may be totaly off base here, but perhaps 1 reason is the FedEx brand name? People want overnight and they think FedEx. Another reason might be that we at UPS kick the crap out of their packages. Damages are an issue at UPS but the majority could be avoided if the customers packed them correctly.

Still, with all that being said, FedEx ground is a 2nd class operation and I think our customers percieve this...
Being with Fedex Groung I think I should be insulted by this statement. I'm not. DHL was second rate. We are nothing like DHL. Our customers don't percieve us that way either. Pay attention though. Changes are taking place that will make you think again. Don't assume you're getting all your customers back unless you lose money getting them back (L.L. Bean).

DS

Fenderbender
Being with Fedex Groung I think I should be insulted by this statement. I'm not. DHL was second rate. We are nothing like DHL. Our customers don't percieve us that way either. Pay attention though. Changes are taking place that will make you think again. Don't assume you're getting all your customers back unless you lose money getting them back (L.L. Bean).
Let the best man win

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I agree.When people think fedex they think clean white trucks full of letters.When they think UPS,they think dirty brown school buses full of untaped boxes with sasquatch footprints all over them. JMHO