fedex pays little taxes, busts unions, and bribes government for favors

rickyb

just saw this about fedex:

Leaked documents recently revealed that hundreds of international companies have avoided paying billions of dollars in taxes by establishing secret tax havens in the small European country of Luxembourg. Among the leading tax dodgers is FedEx, a company with a reprehensible track record of avoiding taxation while profiting off of government subsidies, union-busting, and job slashing.
According to Americans for Tax Fairness, between 2010 and 2013, FedEx made $6 billion but paid absolutely no corporate income taxes. Meanwhile, FedEx received government contracts––worth over $1 billion of taxpayer money per year––to deliver Express and Priority mail for the United States Postal Service.
And although the company can't be bothered to pay it’s own taxes, FedEx coveres the personal income taxes of top executives, including CEO Fred S.

Sign to join us in calling on Fred S and FedEx to start paying their fair share!

The company is also more than happy to funnel money into the pockets of politicians. In just two years, FedEx spent $50 million lobbying Congress to keep taxes low and to prevent its employees from unionizing.
While FedEx workers can’t count on living wages or pensions, CEO Fred S made $13.7 million in 2012, and had retirement benefits worth $25.6 million. Fred S doesn’t have to worry about job security, unlike the 1,600 FedEx employees whose jobs were eliminated between 2001 and 2012.

Enough is enough. American workers manage to pay their taxes while living paycheck to paycheck. There’s no reason Fred S and FedEx shouldn’t do the same.

Join us in calling on Fred S and FedEx to pay their fair share!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wow, looks like Fed Smith's salary is a bargain for doing everything you outlined.
I hope he got millions more under the table.

Yet you constantly hear Smith bleating about high corporate tax rates and the disincentives for US companies under our tax laws.

What an effing hypocrite and liar.

Slick silver

You guys should watch the documentary " America isn't broke". Basically talks about the whole tax dodging by the big corporations. Which also has fedex in it.

It will be fine

Is there a source for any of this? OP doesn't mention where the article came from. No doubt Fred uses foreign tax shelters, but some of what's listed seems questionable especially without a source.

STFXG

It isn't tax dodging if they aren't doing anything illegal. Nothing wrong with paying 0 taxes. Just working within the system.

rickyb

Is there a source for any of this? OP doesn't mention where the article came from. No doubt Fred uses foreign tax shelters, but some of what's listed seems questionable especially without a source.

its sam adler bell from watchdog.net. i subscribe to them but im not sure who they are or who the writer is.

rickyb

It isn't tax dodging if they aren't doing anything illegal. Nothing wrong with paying 0 taxes. Just working within the system.

i agree the system capitalism is broken. especially when you have corporations which are doing well and are therefore most able to pay for taxes and societies needs, the ones who are paying the least.

it also makes perfect sense that htey would want to bust unions which statistically provide workers higher wages than non union. if people understand that, then most people would have a problem with it.

rickyb

More so than the Mafia I imagine.
Both realize the continued existence and profitability of "immense wealth" holders is the key to their continued existence.

no thats just the lie the wealthy tell the population. any honest economist will tell you what i just said.