Feeder drivers

2Slow

We have 3 basic classifications of hourly employees. In order; part time, combo full time, full time.

bluehdmc

A day in the life of a feeder driver may consist of starting in the mid afternoon, finding a trailer, possibly having to clean it out, (pallets from the day before, sweep it out). Then going to a customer location and picking up anywhere from a couple of pallets, to a full trailer load, to just switching trailers on the door at the customer location. If you only picked up a couple of pallets, you may stop at 2 or 3 customers, with a couple pallets here, a couple there, etc. You may or may not have to load the pallets with a pallet jack. Usually the customer loads with forklift. Then you return to the hub, drop the trailer, maybe repeat with another trailer, maybe play yard jockey with a switcher or your tractor. Then after lunch you may run to the railyard, another hub, or possibly more customer pickups.
Or you can have a job, where you take a load to one hub, the a: go back to the first hub and repeat, b: go to another hub, the return to the first, or c: go from point a to b and back. Or you could be yard jockey all nite.
The good thing about feeders in comparison to other trucking jobs, 95% of the work is drop an hook, 5% is when you have to clean out or load at customers. You get to sleep in your own bed every day. You usually work at nite when there are less idiots on the road.
The bad thing, you usually work at nite when there are less idiots on the road.

Boonie

Thank you, bluehdmc. That sounds just awesome. Are you a feeder driver? Do feeder drivers usually work 14-hour days?

brett636

I believe to be considered for seasonal you have to currently hold a Class A CDL and have some experience driving a tractor trailer. It sounds like your best option is to start from the bottom and work your way up, but as its already been stated it could be a few years or longer wait depending on the building you end up working in. UPS will train you to get your CDL if you ended up being awarded a job in feeders so don't bother getting your CDL now if you really only want to drive for UPS. Goodluck with whatever you end up choosing!

Boonie

Okay, thank you. Does anyone know where the largest UPS hub is in Louisville, KY? I've called the main 800-742-5877 number for UPS who then referred me to Freight at 800-742-5877. Interestingly, neither division seems to know the answer, nor does anyone else associated with UPS I've called so far.

P

pickup

Brett hit the mark pretty much. UPS does not hire cdl graduates fresh out of school. They need at least a year's experience(accident free and I also believe, pretty much violation free) before they will hire a guy as a casual/seasonal driver. For him to get a full time position afterward also involves the union having to moving 5 inside guys(people working at ups already, and as far as I know package car drivers) into feeders before hiring a guy off the street. Also, remember there are other casuals vying for that position, many with much more than one year's experience and therefore probably more skilled.

Ups Freight probably has different, less strict rules but I don't know about what goes on at UPS freight.

P

pickup

Thanks. You have been the most helpful of all. It's really hard to get any actual helpful information these days. My husband got hurt on the job. We have two kids at home and now no insurance. I work at home on the computer making decent money, but again, no insurance. Also, it is a dream of mine to forge a new career path driving a TT. Just trying to figure out what options are available and how long it's going to take and what company is best to work for - Parcel or Freight. Everyone says the feeders pay the most in wages and benefits. Yes, I understand that it will take time to get to the point of becoming a feeder driver. Can someone explain a day in the life of a feeder driver? What if I wanted to transfer to Freight for some reason, or vice versa to the Parcel side? Someone from Freight already explained to me what the Freight drivers do and how much they make. Do feeders ever get to work nights?

Once at UPS freight, you are stuck there, no transferring over to UPS feeders side. I am sure that transferring the other way is forbidden also but no ever tried it.

Boonie

UPS Freight = All the UPS management? What does that mean and how does it equal to half the benefits?

Can someone give a side-by-side comparison of the benefits between the two?

brett636

UPS Freight = All the UPS management? What does that mean and how does it equal to half the benefits?

I am not aware of the exact differences between freight and parcel in terms of benefits or pay. I have heard they don't pay as well in freight, but they just went union within the last few years. Considering that its impossible to just move buildings within the package division I can be almost certain that transferring from freight to package is pretty much impossible without resigning from one and getting rehired at the other.

You would have to ask the freight guys for the specifics but the Cliff`s notes version is the successful company we took over now has the UPS cancer in how it manages itself and treats its employees.

As far as any transfer look at this way. Two separate companies under one umbrella. No prayer of "transfer". Only quit and hope for rehire.

Me personally? I`d roll the UPS dice. Ups Freight is an acquired company and therefore could be sold off at any time if the nature of the business called for it.