Feeder drivers

​Ya! Quite...................

You know you can`t go feeder if you can`t pass the eye test.
images

P

pickup

Do feeder drivers ever interact with customers? How isolated are they? Is driving feeders lacking in physical activity (looking to keep in shape)?

Some jobs require customer pickups. The customers that the feeder drivers are dealing with are shippers . They are picking up there. These shippers basically push out a lot of product : boxes that are too much for a package car. Some shippers push out multiple trailers a day. Sometimes there are live pickups which means you back up to the dock of a shipper and they load the trailer.

Some are drop and hooks which are called swaps. You bring an empty trailer , drop it on another door and grab the loaded trailer. Or sometimes it is the same door which means drop empty trailer in yard, grab loaded trailer off the door and drop that on the side. Grab your empty and put it on the door and then grab your loaded trailer. Feeder drivers never deal with the delivery side with shippers (although the option exists on the computer so maybe it happens somewhere but I have never seen it) .

Physical aspects of the job: pickups can be of some physical effort. You can break down a pallet of packages to make room for another pickup. Dropping and hooking trailers can be somewhat physical . Shifting in the yard entails a lot of getting in and out of shifter to hook up lines as well as walking to back of trailer to see if you can pull off door. The long runs such as a four hour drive to another hub are of less physical effort.

P

pickup

We have feeder drivers here who do both pickup and delivery.

Hmm . interesting. I can see how that can work but I have never seen it where I am at.

Upstate, I assume these deliveries would be to commercial customers and not residential. Am I correct?

A

anonymous6

what's a feeder driver?

are they anything like bottom feeders?

when i used to run a pet shop a feeder was a goldfish that you fed to a oscar.