Feeder speed limit?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I completely agree with every feeder driver who says they will drive the speed they feel comfortable at, based on conditions and the speed limit (and whatever corporate policy dictates).

I also agree with every package driver who says they will not run their ass off to meet management's numbers. They will work at a safe and steady/brisk pace, etc.

It's basically the same attitude on both sides, and it's fine. You don't want to lose your life or be injured over replaceable goods.

But, at the same time, I find it a little funny how these same package drivers will bitch and moan about the sort going down so late. We have drivers who start at 8:20, and lately, the preload sort hasn't been going down 'till 8:10-8:20. The unload here pushes hourlies pretty hard. I don't doubt for a moment that it's the arrival of feeders that has to do with the sort going down so late. Local management, as far as I know, has nothing to do with their arrival times, yet that is who the drivers get angry at.

Just an observation.

All management has everything to do with what times the sorts go down. Our drive times have very little to do with what time the sorts go down. If I have a normal start to my day--meaning if there is no problem with any of the equipment I'm using--the only way I leave late is because the sort isn't done. Why? In most cases, it is volume fluctuations and/or piss poor planning. It's not because your local feeder driver is dragging his ass on the roads. If a feeder driver is consistently leaving late, he will hear about it. If you want to blame feeders, blame the dispatch office. That's where all of the bad decisions are made, just like in package car.

We scratch our heads just like package car drivers do. UPS is UPS is UPS. Spend 10 dollars to save a nickel.

Nothing like being paid to sit in front of a trailer for two hours then being told it's a "hot" load that you need to hurry on.

Dracula

Yes indeed. It take a cold longbox to where I'm going. My scheduled loads are cold. But I always follow the methods by the book, and so I don't have good numbers. So, they--bit by bit--dropped my start time back by an hour.

Where I go, the night sort ends abut 2:45. Before they changed my start time, I would get there between 2 and 2:30. So back then, about once a week, they would put some hot stuff on me. No big deal. But, this being UPS, when they are heavy in my home hub, they will top off my load with some hot stuff.

I can hardly hide my smile on those nights. First of all, they never get done on time, and I end up leaving later than normal. Then the feeder dispatchers and hub sups will nervously ask me what time I will get up to my destination hub. "Same as everyday, four hours from the time I hit our gate," I tell them. They used to tell me I needed to hurry, that the night sort was waiting, but I told them I will drive the same way I always drive. They used to look disappointed, but now they just know. Second, a lot of times they will only throw a couple of hot smalls bags and maybe a few packages. So they will hold up the entire night sort waiting on me.

Like I said, spend $10 to save a nickel.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I completely agree with every feeder driver who says they will drive the speed they feel comfortable at, based on conditions and the speed limit (and whatever corporate policy dictates).

I also agree with every package driver who says they will not run their ass off to meet management's numbers. They will work at a safe and steady/brisk pace, etc.

It's basically the same attitude on both sides, and it's fine. You don't want to lose your life or be injured over replaceable goods.

But, at the same time, I find it a little funny how these same package drivers will bitch and moan about the sort going down so late. We have drivers who start at 8:20, and lately, the preload sort hasn't been going down 'till 8:10-8:20. The unload here pushes hourlies pretty hard. I don't doubt for a moment that it's the arrival of feeders that has to do with the sort going down so late. Local management, as far as I know, has nothing to do with their arrival times, yet that is who the drivers get angry at.

Just an observation.

We've had "On Time Network" for more than a year now, and I'm sure it's in most parts of the Country. Management gets a lot of heat if the loads don't go out on time so accountability goes up and down the hill. Feeders don't leave until they are wrapped by the load walls, so it's really the chicken before the egg syndrome unless there is something on-road that causes delays. Part of the problem is with the move to more 53' trailers it takes longer to get them to 100% and that is what most concerns the Sorts. We can't really do a proper pre-trip until the trailer is off the wall so if you discover a problem that compounds the delay.

In some cases the On Time Network has you rushing to get trailers somewhere that arrive hours before the sort even begins, others it's cut so close you have no time for any delays or you'll have a sort sitting waiting for your arrival.

It used to be that we had almost an hour cushion for our loads & it seems time was rarely a problem unless Dispatch missed a trailer. Unintended consequences of moving to 53' trailers in my opinion.

A

anonymous6

All management has everything to do with what times the sorts go down. Our drive times have very little to do with what time the sorts go down. If I have a normal start to my day--meaning if there is no problem with any of the equipment I'm using--the only way I leave late is because the sort isn't done. Why? In most cases, it is volume fluctuations and/or piss poor planning. It's not because your local feeder driver is dragging his ass on the roads. If a feeder driver is consistently leaving late, he will hear about it. If you want to blame feeders, blame the dispatch office. That's where all of the bad decisions are made, just like in package car.

We scratch our heads just like package car drivers do. UPS is UPS is UPS. Spend 10 dollars to save a nickel.

our sort has been going down 20-60 min late every night. so I put delay-trailer not ready. so i'm late meeting my guy by that time, he's late meeting his guy. then the hub is late. all at 50 bucks an hr. they would rather pay $150 an hr overtime than pay a couple extra part-timers to help get us out close to on time...........just as you said.

They're free to do whatever they want. I document every delay and who I speak to in the course of it. And still, the speed limit is the speed limit. Nowadays their own GPS will work for you if you use it against them correctly.

"Why were you only doing 45 on your way back?"

"Check your GPS. 45mph between 159th and 127th. Exactly where the construction zones are. Any other questions?"

A

anonymous6

this past winter during a blizzard most drivers were pulling over because visibility was about 5 feet. I slogged on at about 5 miles per hr for just about 10 minutes until I was in the clear. I texted dispatch and told them to wake up an on road to ask them the proper speed limit for those conditions.

for some reason they did not respond.

Dracula

They're free to do whatever they want. I document every delay and who I speak to in the course of it. And still, the speed limit is the speed limit. Nowadays their own GPS will work for you if you use it against them correctly.

"Why were you only doing 45 on your way back?"

"Check your GPS. 45mph between 159th and 127th. Exactly where the construction zones are. Any other questions?"

Check. No feeder driver should go without a daily log to track his/her day. How many times do you have a problem with a dolly or trailer but forget to hit other work because you try to figure the problem out? If they ever ask what the delay was and you don't show a breakdown, technically, if they don't like you, they can start mumbling about lying or stealing time. That doesn't hold water if you write down all of your equipment numbers and any problems you might have, even if you fix the problem yourself and don't go by the shop.

Money well spent...all $1.50 of it.

Check. No feeder driver should go without a daily log to track his/her day. How many times do you have a problem with a dolly or trailer but forget to hit other work because you try to figure the problem out? If they ever ask what the delay was and you don't show a breakdown, technically, if they don't like you, they can start mumbling about lying or stealing time. That doesn't hold water if you write down all of your equipment numbers and any problems you might have, even if you fix the problem yourself and don't go by the shop.

Money well spent...all $1.50 of it.

I have a section in my "Notes" app on my iPhone and a folder that I store every stored picture. Someone questions what I find on a trailer, out comes the pic. Now with this AAD system we've essentally become street bound shifter drivers. No direct person to person communication so you know who's giving you the next dispatch. Every msg gets photographed now. If they deny it ever happened I have the evidence to show them that someone has hacked the system and is sending false msgs to their drivers in case they decide to follow up on it.

barnyard

KTM rider
I had my annual ride 2 weeks ago. The supe repeatedly said, "You cannot make up time on road, once you leave the gates, it is what it is."

The route that I covered last week, the sort was never done at the scheduled pull time.

rushfan

I was asked on my annual ride why I do not use my cruise control. I responded I drive at night, and I feel it is dangerous (the tractors we have are old Mack CH600's with fogged over headlights and the mechanics and mechanic manager refuses to order new ones-Something to do with the cost). Also, IMHO, cruise control at night tends to make many sleepy. During the recap of my ride, I was told I could be looked upon as stealing time for not using cruise control. Would you know it, within a week of my ride, a driver in our division went to sleep, driving off the road. Cruise control was to blame. So within a week of that event, on our safety board, there were suggestions regarding safe driving at night. One was, "do not use cruise control if drowsy".

As far as the, "you've got hot loads" comment goes: I have always thought, "I'll get there when I get there".

Our sort has been ending an hour late each night. We too go onto "late sort delay". During my ride along, my sup said I could pre-trip all the dollies I was going to use, and the trailers-while the sort was going on to save time. Mind you, the set isn't even put together LOL!

If a sup ever says the words "stealing time" in a situation like this I pull out my notebook and tell them l'll jot it down to remember it "right here between the phone number for the DOT and the phone number for OSHA".

A

anonymous6

I had my annual ride 2 weeks ago. The supe repeatedly said, "You cannot make up time on road, once you leave the gates, it is what it is."

The route that I covered last week, the sort was never done at the scheduled pull time.

I have a hard time believing a supe said that. he aint gonna last long at the whole NEW UPS.

Dracula

I was asked on my annual ride why I do not use my cruise control. I responded I drive at night, and I feel it is dangerous (the tractors we have are old Mack CH600's with fogged over headlights and the mechanics and mechanic manager refuses to order new ones-Something to do with the cost). Also, IMHO, cruise control at night tends to make many sleepy. During the recap of my ride, I was told I could be looked upon as stealing time for not using cruise control. Would you know it, within a week of my ride, a driver in our division went to sleep, driving off the road. Cruise control was to blame. So within a week of that event, on our safety board, there were suggestions regarding safe driving at night. One was, "do not use cruise control if drowsy".

As far as the, "you've got hot loads" comment goes: I have always thought, "I'll get there when I get there".

Our sort has been ending an hour late each night. We too go onto "late sort delay". During my ride along, my sup said I could pre-trip all the dollies I was going to use, and the trailers-while the sort was going on to save time. Mind you, the set isn't even put together LOL!

My sup told us that cruise control, "makes us lazy." Can't say that I disagree. Or, it CAN make us lazy. I never use cruise control at night, and if any sup told me I had to use the CC, I would simply state that it is a safety issue. Because it is. If your feet aren't on the pedals, and you need to hit the brakes quickly, you're going to be at a disadvantage. Maybe not a real big one, but one just the same.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We had a Feeder driver in our division who had an individual cut in front of him and slam on brakes. The Feeder was pulling doubles and he rolled the trailers when he also had to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting the car.The Police did not find him at fault and he wasnt charged with any violations. However.......................
A review of his Telematics record showed he was exceeding the Speed Limit by seven MPH and he was terminated for 'Reckless Driving'. The case went to Panel and the Termination was upheld.
I encourage EVERYONE to drive the Speed Limit

Dracula

We had a Feeder driver in our division who had an individual cut in front of him and slam on brakes. The Feeder was pulling doubles and he rolled the trailers when he also had to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting the car.The Police did not find him at fault and he wasnt charged with any violations. However.......................
A review of his Telematics record showed he was exceeding the Speed Limit by seven MPH and he was terminated for 'Reckless Driving'. The case went to Panel and the Termination was upheld.
I encourage EVERYONE to drive the Speed Limit

Yep, that's exactly how it will go. And you can talk to burners until you're blue in the face about it, but they just won't listen. This case is exactly why I'll deal with management's harassment before I rush or exceed the speed limit. As always, UPS isn't concerned with right or wrong; they're only concerned with covering their ass, and hanging ours.

CACH is right off the expressway and we have our own exits. As i left for home I saw a guy on Friday come within a car length of running over a passenger car that decided stopping was the best choice to avoid a dump truck merging from another highway. Sure, common sense will point at the car being an idiot but we know our guy would have been charged with a tier 3 but perhaps a ticket also. He was below the posted speed limit of 55 but at that time of the day in that amount if traffic he was going too fast considering its an area with two major highways meet and then funnel into a toll.

That's why the posted limit argument from management doesn't hold water in the real world.

MaceFremonti

My run is 500+ miles of 6%+ grades up and 6%+ grades down. The cruise/jake combination on the new Macks is pretty much an auto pilot as far as speed goes. I learned real quick on day one of running this route that the ONLY time I use it is if I am all alone on the highway with sunny ideal conditions. There are just too many unobservant/bad drivers out there who just randomly stop, pull out, change lanes etc without looking.

Not sure about the midwest but our onroad allowances here are quite liberal. If i do exactly the speed limit on my run I usually end up about 30 minutes under each day. Really is no reason to push it. Unless you like giving UPS money back everyday...

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Does that system cut in the retarder incrementally as road speed exceeds set speed? Indeed, you need the road to yourself to use CC safely.