I signed a bid sheet and have been called about going to feeders from package. Can you amazing people, especially those who have behind-the-scenes experience, help me weigh out the pros and cons?

A bit about me, specifics to consider: Driver for 4 years, never drove a semi-sized vehicle before, female, married, have an elementary-aged kid, have some spinal problems.

Thank you!

raceanoncr

My experience and ONLY my experience:

Started UPS when 31, after 10 years of heavy equipment. Already back problems. Hired as feeder driver, well, they said we don't have position now, "Would you be willing to do delivery until there IS position?". Me: "Sure, why not, just to get my foot in the door". How bad can it be, huh?

You know the rest. Had to do package car for 3, full years, til feeders came up, then spotty for the next 5, in other words, back and forth from PC to feeders. Finally was able to stay after 8 years with company but here, HERE, I say, lowest senior drivers had to do coverage. Did that for another 5 til I could bid on something...ANYTHING.

Was married, with one kid. Worked nights or afternoons the rest of my career, even sleeper team for 5. Sorry but she had to endure that after some major demands from her at the beginning of our marriage that didn't work out.

No experience? No prob. They will teach. They will help you get yer CDL.

Retired after 32 years and don't regret my decisions. To me, was actually easier on my back. I'd say give it a try, but look at all the quirks of the job there. Talk to other drivers to see if it's for you. Good luck and let us know, please.

ManInBrown

I’m also waiting to get the call. I’m qualified and should be gone within the next few months. Can’t wait. I know it’s different challenges with the hours but I’m looking forward to giving my body a rest from package. I’ve had enough.

Spinal problems? There's your answer. Try to stay active when you get off work to avoid the feeder fifteen.
You could try a search to see how many other times this has been answered.
My experience and ONLY my experience:

Started UPS when 31, after 10 years of heavy equipment. Already back problems. Hired as feeder driver, well, they said we don't have position now, "Would you be willing to do delivery until there IS position?". Me: "Sure, why not, just to get my foot in the door". How bad can it be, huh?

You know the rest. Had to do package car for 3, full years, til feeders came up, then spotty for the next 5, in other words, back and forth from PC to feeders. Finally was able to stay after 8 years with company but here, HERE, I say, lowest senior drivers had to do coverage. Did that for another 5 til I could bid on something...ANYTHING.

Was married, with one kid. Worked nights or afternoons the rest of my career, even sleeper team for 5. Sorry but she had to endure that after some major demands from her at the beginning of our marriage that didn't work out.

No experience? No prob. They will teach. They will help you get yer CDL.

Retired after 32 years and don't regret my decisions. To me, was actually easier on my back. I'd say give it a try, but look at all the quirks of the job there. Talk to other drivers to see if it's for you. Good luck and let us know, please.

The biggest thing holding me back is the potential of having less time to see my kid. I mean, I’m gone a lot now doing package, but at least I get the occasional 8-hour day, I get to see her in the morning and sometimes at night, I’m awake at the right time on my days off, etc.

raceanoncr

The biggest thing holding me back is the potential of having less time to see my kid. I mean, I’m gone a lot now doing package, but at least I get the occasional 8-hour day, I get to see her in the morning and sometimes at night, I’m awake at the right time on my days off, etc.

How big a hub are you? How many feeder runs?

When you get the seniority to bid, you can just about pick your times. Low seniority? Inevitable night runs. When I finally DID get enough seniority to bid what ever was there, I still picked nights because that's what I was used to and worked for me. One bid I had got me started about 1 AM and getting home about noon. Stayed up til 5 or so. Get home at 6 or 7 on some runs, stay up til 1,2 in the afternoon. If you want, you can make it work. I did but was alone for a lot of those years (got divorced for other reasons) and new girlfriend (now, wife), was very accommodating and worked WITH me.

Shiftless

I signed a bid sheet and have been called about going to feeders from package. Can you amazing people, especially those who have behind-the-scenes experience, help me weigh out the pros and cons?

A bit about me, specifics to consider: Driver for 4 years, never drove a semi-sized vehicle before, female, married, have an elementary-aged kid, have some spinal problems.

Thank you!

You will soon find out there are very amazing people here. They are all into jewelry and they are very jaded!
Pick your poison!~

I am another retired feeder driver. Male/Father perspective is all I can share. For me pkg car was a dead end road. Friends had already gone into management hated it or quit except one. I saw no future for me there other than getting physically tore up in pkg or fat N crass in feeder! As you can see from posts already, where you domicile out of, makes a HUGE difference! Its not hard work physically compared to pkg. If sitting a lot bothers you? I would stay away. they teach you so no issues there unless you cant get it? You can!

This is where I had to make a choice??? Work swing and nights for a long time. Not get to be a coach for my kid's! Miss so many Friday night activities it makes your head spin! Then have to make them adjust around to my schedule as much as possible and trust me that part that is asking a lot from your Family!

Knowing what I know now, would I do it again? If this was the only viable option? Yes!

If you have other options? Better suited to be with your Kids and goals for life? Run while you can. 4 years in is a hiccup of time. Your Daughter's time with you is so short, she should hold a lot of weight in your decisions.

The two jobs are so different and bring their own issues to your long term health.

Good Luck
2 centavos

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hmmm, how about moving a 1000 lb dolly on ice? Or over a pothole?
200 (2).gif

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
18 years in package, this is my 5th year in feeders. It's hands down the easiest job I've ever had in my life, hard to believe it's the same company sometimes. As others have mentioned the biggest challenge is keeping the weight off, better make sure your diet/exercise plan is dialed in if you don't want to blow up like a tick.

Johney

If your spouse isn't on board 100% with this decision it will not work and you will regret it. Before I even spent 1 minute is class the feeder manager came to me and asked if I spoke very thoroughly about this with my family. My kids are older and self sufficient so that was not an issue, it maybe a big issue with you. My wife knew I got to the point where I hated going to work(package)anymore. I spent 25 years delivering.She backed me 100% and said go for it. Now I don't mind going to work. The downfall(for me, maybe not her) is I hardly see my wife during the week as I come in as she leaves and sometimes I leave before she gets home. Like others have said a lot will depend on your location and how often you will be doing different runs. Talk to others in your feeder dept and see what you're up against concerning a permanent run,talk to your husband regarding what the hours may be. I know of no one in our dept or area that has young kids we are all older as it took most all of us at least 25 years in package before we could get into feeders. Good luck!

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
My experience has been similar to @Jones. I’ll add that for me it’s about options. Where will your seniority put you on the list of feeder drivers. I’ve chosen to stay cover. It gives me flexibility. You can give yourself a long weekend without taking a day off. Go from a Sunday-Thursday run then go to a Tuesday-Saturday run the next. Child care can be tricky if you are changing schedules weekly. Around here this happens to the lower seniority drivers regardless if they bid set jobs or not because of people constantly bumping.