Finally!! GAME ON!! The NFL is BACK!!!!

texan

On this day, wrong but correct thread I guess.

On this day, 17 Sep 1920, The National Football League was formed -- in Canton, Ohio.

Canton is now the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

texan

Jake the Snake Plummer.

Stabler is before my time.
Not mine (before my time).

I use to love watching that team as a young lad on black and white TV.

Raiders were a great team.

They even use to have Blanda as a back up QB. I saw him go in when the snake got hurt and help them win the game.
Now go research who Blanda was
. :happy-very:

texan

Also on this day, 17 Sep 1961, A new team debuted in the National Football League: the Minnesota Vikings.

The Vikings defeated the Chicago Bears by a score of 37-13 in the team’s first game.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What a QB Washington has, what a pass that just occured.

All look out for wahington, they are real this year.

I watched that game, it's pretty clear that Washington's QB troubles are over. Guy plays smart too, he's mobile but he avoids taking unnecessary hits which is something that Vick hasn't figured out. That big hit on Fred Davis made me wince, I really thought he might not get up from that. Also, Danny Amendola is a heck of a player. I've never really cared about the Rams one way or the other but I like Jeff Fisher so I'm kinda rootin for them this year.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I watched that game, it's pretty clear that Washington's QB troubles are over. Guy plays smart too, he's mobile but he avoids taking unnecessary hits which is something that Vick hasn't figured out. That big hit on Fred Davis made me wince, I really thought he might not get up from that. Also, Danny Amendola is a heck of a player. I've never really cared about the Rams one way or the other but I like Jeff Fisher so I'm kinda rootin for them this year.

I like Fisher.
I was very surprised he joined the Rams.
I feel he has not learned to keep the stoic game face which defined the generation before him.
Like J. Gruden and S. Payton, you feel the pulse of the field they try to hide behind the clipboard.

I feel the ownership of the Titans handled McNair's departure like a piece of unwanted trash tossed in the street to rot.
I feel this was the beginning Fisher's awakening.
The vortex continued when the ownership romanced V. Young in public - after he was signed and after his on-the-field BS.

I don't know what occurs between coach and player but I do know V. Young was the lynch-pin which destroyed Fisher's credibility.

Jeff comes back and the next black cloud dumps on him after he pulls G. William's in as a coach.

Yes, I like Jeff and I like the man he showed up to be when he spoke at McNair's Wake.

And...don't laugh.
I look at him and I swear he looks like a cop.

texan

I like Fisher.
I feel he has not learned to keep the stoic game face which defined the generation before him.
Like J. Gruden and S. Payton, you feel the pulse of the field they try to hide behind the clipboard.

I feel the ownership of the Titans handled McNair's departure like a piece of unwanted trash tossed in the street to rot.
The vortex continued when the ownership romanced V. Young in public - after he was signed and after his on-the-field BS.

I don't know what occurs between coach and player but I do know V. Young was the lynch-pin which destroyed Fisher's credibility.

Jeff comes back and the next black cloud dumps on him after he pulls G. William's in as a coach.

Yes, I like Jeff and I like the man he showed up to be when he spoke at McNair's Wake.

And...don't laugh.
nfl_week2_AP955116852417_540x392.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I like Fisher.

And...don't laugh.
No doubt. He reminds me of Nick Nolte in Q&A.
nick-nolte_320.jpg

texan

Replacement refs falter on national stage

ATLANTA — After more than 15 seasons in the National Football League, Tony Gonzalez knew
the questions were coming.

After a night that would showcase the fruits of the league's referee lockout, the Atlanta Falcons
tight end could only chuckle when answering inquiries about a game his team just won, 27-21, but
so few were truly focused on.

He knew he could not criticize the replacement officials' performance — that leads to unnecessary
payments to the league office. But he also knew what he saw in the Georgia Dome Monday night, and
he's savvy enough to understand the predicament professional football is in at the moment.

"Not surprised at all, we've been there done that," Gonzalez said of the stalled negotiations,
referencing past labor talks between the players and the NFL. "Good luck to the refs."

Replacement officials created some negative buzz during preseason play and the first week
of the NFL season, but they worsened in Week 2, culminating in a four-hour turtle race between
the Falcons and Broncos.

Both coaches, John Fox and Mike Smith, nearly blew a fuse on the replacement officials’
unsatisfactory understanding of the league rulebook. The matchup's national audience
released their frustrations onto the social media landscape.

But Monday night drove viewers crazy. Incompetence and delays pushed the game past deadlines
and patience — it was 12:08 a.m., when the opposing coaches shook hands at midfield — and the
one thing that will open up the eyes and ears of Commissioner Roger Goodell and other executives
is when the grumblings of the almighty dollar become audible.
Nobody wants to watch a mishandled, slow product week in week out.

That was the longest first quarter that I've ever been involved in. It looked like we were going to have
a four-hour game, but it was a very long first quarter," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "We kept a bunch
of people up late, and I bet we'll have a bunch of people not showing up for work tomorrow."

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

ATLANTA — After more than 15 seasons in the National Football League, Tony Gonzalez knew
the questions were coming.

After a night that would showcase the fruits of the league's referee lockout, the Atlanta Falcons
tight end could only chuckle when answering inquiries about a game his team just won, 27-21, but
so few were truly focused on.

He knew he could not criticize the replacement officials' performance — that leads to unnecessary
payments to the league office. But he also knew what he saw in the Georgia Dome Monday night, and
he's savvy enough to understand the predicament professional football is in at the moment.

"Not surprised at all, we've been there done that," Gonzalez said of the stalled negotiations,
referencing past labor talks between the players and the NFL. "Good luck to the refs."

Replacement officials created some negative buzz during preseason play and the first week
of the NFL season, but they worsened in Week 2, culminating in a four-hour turtle race between
the Falcons and Broncos.

Both coaches, John Fox and Mike Smith, nearly blew a fuse on the replacement officials’
unsatisfactory understanding of the league rulebook. The matchup's national audience
released their frustrations onto the social media landscape.

But Monday night drove viewers crazy. Incompetence and delays pushed the game past deadlines
and patience — it was 12:08 a.m., when the opposing coaches shook hands at midfield — and the
one thing that will open up the eyes and ears of Commissioner Roger Goodell and other executives
is when the grumblings of the almighty dollar become audible.
Nobody wants to watch a mishandled, slow product week in week out.

That was the longest first quarter that I've ever been involved in. It looked like we were going to have
a four-hour game, but it was a very long first quarter," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "We kept a bunch
of people up late, and I bet we'll have a bunch of people not showing up for work tomorrow."

I think that some of the comments made during the post game show were dead on. The league doesn't care one iota about the lockout and contract negotiations. If they think they can break the union then they will try. The only way the league is going back to the table is if it starts affecting their bottom dollar and the only way that is going to happen is if we stop going to games. Stop watching the games. Start making a lot of noise. Realistically speaking, that's not going to happen.

The refs that are in now are peewee league refs trying to play with the big boys and they aren't cutting it. They have no control, and the teams (and players) are taking advantage of it. We'll see, if Goodell doesn't address this issue today (and hard) I think it'll show that Goodell and the rest of the league doesn't care. Last nights game was an essay in everything not to do.

"
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell pointed out that the level of February's Pro Bowl wasn't NFL-quality. He also said recently that fans don't react positively to the four-game preseason because it's "not the kind of standard that the NFL is used to producing."

DUH!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That was a rough game for Peyton, hopefully they bounce back next week.
I believe he'll bounce back. The team is still learning to communicate with each other and still learning to trust each other. It was a rough loss for the fans and the team and the refs CERTAINLY did not help.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I now have the NFL NETWORK!!
I am waitng for the RED ZONE to process.....

FINALLY!!!

Time Warner Cable!!!!

(I still want the Dish Network NFL Package!!)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My boys slipped away with a win today, it was ugly but I'll take it. Eagles and Skins went down so that's a plus. I'm hoping Peyton can pull this one out in the 4th

bbsam

Staff member
Bears won and starting to see their identity emerge. Still a running team with badass defense. This year though, teams can't disregard the passing attack. It is going to be formidable and at the ready.