Fish

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Not really, just wondering why, thats all.

But on the other hand, did they forget theirs? Why is it we have to be sensitive, and yet they dont?

I figured it ought to be a two way street. You want respect, then show respect.

Just my humble thoughts.

d

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
Not really, just wondering why, thats all.

But on the other hand, did they forget theirs? Why is it we have to be sensitive, and yet they dont?

I figured it ought to be a two way street. You want respect, then show respect.

Just my humble thoughts.

d

All right, you bring up an excellant point. I want you to try to go an entire day without mentioning your partner (presumably a wife or girlfriend). Try to not discuss anything about this person, or your children, or anything that might signal your sexual identity. That means no talk of plans for the weekend, no talk about last weekend. If you do talk about plans, try to keep it gender neutral. If you slip up, and flaunt your sexual identity, it's okay. It's hard to hide this central part of who you are.

Last edited:

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
I dont recall any one asking, but yet you feel the need to tell us anyway? O GEEEZZ, please dont!

Why is it that you feel the overwhelming need to tell everyone, and to make it a point in every conversation? If any of us were truly interested, we would ask, really we would.

d

Remember - hush hush. 2 way street logic at work here...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There is a difference.

I dont make it a point to push my sexual preference out front when I introduce myself. Many gay people do. Its a form of political activism. And that is alright by me usually, but it seems that the gay group is so one dimentional. You remove the sexual focus from your identity, and guess what?..... you are just like everybody else.

So I would guess that since you want to be different and stand out, that is the claim to fame? Sorry, not impressed.

I dont have a problem with talking about my significant other without it being in sexual terms only. Try it some time. Talk about your friend with out refering to your relationship as gay or homosexual. Then you will be in the same boat as me.

But again, that is the point with you, isnt it? To make a production on the gay relationship?

d

satellitedriver

All right, you bring up an excellant point. I want you to try to go an entire day without mentioning your partner (presumably a wife or girlfriend). Try to not discuss anything about this person, or your children, or anything that might signal your sexual identity. That means no talk of plans for the weekend, no talk about last weekend. If you do talk about plans, try to keep it gender neutral. If you slip up, and flaunt your sexual identity, it's okay. It's hard to hide this central part of who you are.
I think, the key point is when you say;
"If you slip up, and flaunt your sexual identity."
Flaunt is the key word in your missive, and shows circular argument and logic.
[a two way street with a roundabout in the middle of the intersection]

I'm sorry Sat, I just re-read your sig line and had to laugh considering the topic of your latest post. Too funny........ really.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
I think, the key point is when you say;
"If you slip up, and flaunt your sexual identity."
Flaunt is the key word in your missive, and shows circular argument and logic.
[a two way street with a roundabout in the middle of the intersection]

SateliiteD, Can you provide more information? I am trying to find how there is circular logic. To me, most gay people who say anything about a relationship are harshly criticized for flaunting it. In the meantime, I will provide parallelism in my logic through an example.

Flaunt - to parade or display oneself conspicuously, defiantly, or boldly.

Displaying wedding pictures on your desk or in your wallet - isn't that a form of flaunting? What about talking about children? If a straight man says, my girlfriend and I are going on a romantic trip to the mountains. We plan to fish, cuddle by the fire and take long walks through the woods.

Is this flaunting? Not really. Primarily because straight relationships are normalized and gay ones are pathologized.

This same logic applied to a Gay man -

My boyfriend and I are going on a romantic trip to the mountains. We plan to fish, cuddle by the fire and take long walks through the woods.

Wouldn't this be viewed as flaunting?

And, yes, Dannyboy, there are some gay folks who are more persistent in their language - but then again, there are some straight folks who are equally graphic about their relationships. There is great diversity in people and all gay people don't necessarily flaunt graphic sexual relationships. No matter what the media would like you to believe. Just as all straight people don't do this or do that. I believe there are mostly good folks in this world - once in a while we meet someone who just doesn't get it; at least not yet.

Last edited:

UPS Lifer

I think UPS should abandon it's "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy. It's outdated and infringes on an American's fundamental right to the freedom of speech. Seriously, if someone is willing to die for this company, just to deliver a package, they should be permitted access to the same pursuit of happiness as anyone else.

UPS does have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy...doesn't it?

How did a thread on Motivation get turned into a thread on Gay Rights????

I had to go back to this post to see where it started????

Now I am asking WHY???? What prompted you to bring up "Don't ask don't tell"? I am seriously confused on this one! ?? !

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
That was my point exactly, and she/he/it has turned it into a gay crusade/lecture series. Believe it or not, as much as she/he is trying to downplay my point, each post makes my point even more so.

d

UPS Lifer

dannyboy

In the Shakespeare play "Henry IV", the character Falstaff said "the better part of valor is discretion" which we have turned around to say that - discretion is the better part of valor.

Either way I think it is well said!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Me thinks that fighting for my rights has been watching too many soaps as well. And I call her/he fighting for my rights because she is not interested in anyone elses rights but hers/his, as is obvious by her posts.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Are you really that stupid, or just dense. The point is, you changed the subject matter of this thread with your petty little rant on dont ask, dont tell. That is juvenile to the extreme.

Tell you what, go read all my posts here on the cafe. Try and find where I posted even once about sexuality, my personal preference, my wife, etc, when the subject was something else.

You are the one with the agenda. You are the one that changed the thread on fish to your crusade on homosexual rights. But like most in your situation, you try and change the field, and I am the childish one?

As you said, how childish!

d

satellitedriver

SateliiteD, Can you provide more information? I am trying to find how there is circular logic. .
Using a negative, to prove a positive is against straight line logic.
You used the term two way street logic, in an earlier post, and provided no info on what basis of logic you based your opinion on.
If you didn't catch the play on words of my post, well sorry about that.
[well kinda]

I agree with Lifer. How the heck did " Don't ask, don't tell" even get into this thread? That may be the biggest point of Danny and SatD. Fighting4yourRights, I could care less of your sexual orientation, it does not effect me in any way. Your thoughts on motivation might be interesting if it had something to do with a personal success with your UPS career, but I fail to see where your sexuality has the same interest. If you were to post that you and your girlfriend were going to the lake...blah blah blah, I doubt there would be backlash from other posters. I have read posts from guys on here indicating that they were in fact gay and didn't see replies that were out line. When you turn it into a forum to get your message across, the whole tone changes.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Can I add one thing to the above post.

You being gay does not mean a thing to me. I see you as a person, a human just like anyone else. That is what I see (well sort of on the net)

But it is when your biggest claim to life is your being gay, or seeking "gay equality" that I find offensive. But when you want to hijack posts to further your agenda, well that is when you are more than a bit tacky.

And that is the reason for my post on sensitivity. You want it, well to get it, you have to show it. You want respect?....well show some.

You want your threads on your "dont ask dont tell" agenda to not get hijacked, then dont hijack someone elses.

Its just that simple. Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Speaking of childish things, you should have learned that when?

d

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
Seriously, no need to get too upset. The thread was over 2 years old; it asked how management can find ways to be more supportive and inspirational. I jokingly discussed a policy that is part of the culture of the military and applied it to UPS - it was rather obvious (at least to me) as my last line said "UPS does have a "don't ask, don't tell policy, right?"

Obviously there is no such policy at UPS. And, of course, someone had to start venting and making it an issue. To which I responded (bad Lynda, bad). The truth is I am more than one dimensional, I am super cool, too. Most of my friends think so. But, the sad fact remains, even in 2008, there still isn't a place at the table for all of us - evident by calling me an "it". C'mon - that was totally lame. But I did it back - (Bad Lynda, Bad).

The 'don't ask don't tell' policy is totally ridiculous but that is another conversation for another day. So, dannyboy, go back to speaking about what you're good at - the things that make life enjoyable for you at UPS and elsewhere. I enjoyed parts of the dialouge between us; and by all means, post some concerns under my irrelavant and obnoxious thread 'life after brown' it would be good to have you on the show.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
Using a negative, to prove a positive is against straight line logic.
You used the term two way street logic, in an earlier post, and provided no info on what basis of logic you based your opinion on.
If you didn't catch the play on words of my post, well sorry about that.
[well kinda]

I try to avoid using straight logic in my arguments - it's the way God intended things to be.

Kiss kiss, you big sexy man.