Food stamp cuts in Ohio, soon in your state

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tonight, I walked in an Arab/American convienience store on my route. Deliver lotto, get a slim jim and a drink. a woman in front of me had just bought beer, candy, and smokes. Paid for the smokes and beer, paid for her luxury items with the wonderful food stamp card. the balance remaining on the 15th of the month was 1854.00. Thats enough to make your head spin........my son who has 6 kids, doesnt spend that much on food in a month. Who does? That isnt abuse, and an incentive to abuse, I dont know what is. How can that be? You would need to have a family of 10 to qualify for that, in which case, You should have a job, or something else to occupy your life, like 9 kids. So should you really be drinking and smoking if you cant afford to feed your kids. And she was alone, whos watching the romper room? that is where my money goes, makes me nauseous.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our UPS wonderful insurance did not cover birth control when I was of age, guess what, bc pills are like 18 bucks a month, condoms less. I never had a problem with it. Whats the big deal? If you are ready to procreate like rabbits, take a pill, wear a condom. its not an issue that should be dividing the country, or an issue to run on. It really is no big deal, why all of a sudden is it? Dont want people in your bedrooms? Dont expect people to pay for bedroom activity. Personal responsibility. They want to condemn and tax people who smoke too much, drink too much, or use recreational drugs.......or eat at mickey ds. Omg, obesity, high blood pressure, drug addiction, well one of those gets you a free card, why? Doing drugs. being an addict is a choice. All things we all have control over, so if you engage in these, you pay a premium. How about people who have too much sex, so much they cant provide birth control. Give it a rest, its wrong, it is an elective. Keep freedom of religion out of it. Number one is the govt has no business in it!

With all due respect drug and alcohol addiction are not a choice.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tonight, I walked in an Arab/American convienience store on my route. Deliver lotto, get a slim jim and a drink. a woman in front of me had just bought beer, candy, and smokes. Paid for the smokes and beer, paid for her luxury items with the wonderful food stamp card. the balance remaining on the 15th of the month was 1854.00. Thats enough to make your head spin........my son who has 6 kids, doesnt spend that much on food in a month. Who does? That isnt abuse, and an incentive to abuse, I dont know what is. How can that be? You would need to have a family of 10 to qualify for that, in which case, You should have a job, or something else to occupy your life, like 9 kids. So should you really be drinking and smoking if you cant afford to feed your kids. And she was alone, whos watching the romper room? that is where my money goes, makes me nauseous.

Tooner, is it possible that part of the balance on the card had been rolled over from previous months?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Way back when....between jobs, and before starting at UPS, we got food stamps for like 3 months. That's when they looked like Monopoly Money.

They gave us way too much (I thought). We couldn't spend it all, so we got canned goods to use it all up. If they gave too much way back then, they probably have increased the amount yearly and the people on food stamps eat better than any of the working people in America!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Way back when....between jobs, and before starting at UPS, we got food stamps for like 3 months. That's when they looked like Monopoly Money.

They gave us way too much (I thought). We couldn't spend it all, so we got canned goods to use it all up. If they gave too much way back then, they probably have increased the amount yearly and the people on food stamps eat better than any of the working people in America!!

Have you seen the fat azzezes using the welfare cards?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
With all due respect drug and alcohol addiction are not a choice.
Really, I think I kinda disagree. If you have a weakness for addictions, you probably shouldnt engage in it. I like to drink, I know if I go over the edge I will have consequences. I just never got that part about its not my fault. Now if you have a mental illness, not your fault, it could trigger those, so I think that question my friend remains in a gray area. I feel with more self responsibility, you may not make those choices. If I knew I could go home and live in Mommas basement I may have made a different choice, since I dont it has made me responsible. I dont know that we are so far apart on this one. I always knew if I fell off a cliff, I would go splat at the end. No one would save me. So I dont know if I consider it a choice, I think in most cases I do, but the jury for me is still out.
Ive seen guys and spent lots of time with them when we used to all hang out, go totally off the cliff, when they lost their wife, through an affair, and it drove them off a cliff, lost their job, kids, etc. I can never see turning to drugs or alcohol to recover from that, I felt that was a stupid choice, and a better one would have benefited them more. Such as doing well is the best revenge. I just dont see how losing a lover , Ok maybe a pity party for a week or two, but to lose your liveliehood, and life over a wench, or a jerk. dont get it. My ex did it, drank himself into a stuper, on anti depression meds, and blew his brains out. he had ditched so many women, including me, and he killed himself over one? I still dont get it. Totally devastated my son. So like I say, I dont know what causes these addictions, I just know I wont let anything have power over my mind, or life.

Tooner, is it possible that part of the balance on the card had been rolled over from previous months?
If so she got too much!!! Obviously doesnt need it or the lobster trains been outta town.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
On behalf on all the recipients who waste there benefits, I, tooner bought crab today, in lieu of going out. If they can afford it, I too can. Of course I cant eat it. (allergic) but its cheaper than going out and so much more fun to just stay home. I am officially old. Im having wings with Stubbs original, mmm

menotyou

bella amicizia
I was at Price Chopper on Friday. At 11 am, I've never seen the store so dead. It was great. When I got to the register and checked out, I figured out why. "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are happy to report we will be able to process EBT transactions at 11:30am". I had to ask what EBT was.

Of course, this is the same store that changed the rules on the 10¢ gallon award program from 10¢ per $50 spent to 10¢ per $100. Why not to cash only??

bluehdmc

Really, I think I kinda disagree. If you have a weakness for addictions, you probably shouldnt engage in it. I like to drink, I know if I go over the edge I will have consequences. I just never got that part about its not my fault. Now if you have a mental illness, not your fault, it could trigger those, so I think that question my friend remains in a gray area. I feel with more self responsibility, you may not make those choices. If I knew I could go home and live in Mommas basement I may have made a different choice, since I dont it has made me responsible. I dont know that we are so far apart on this one. I always knew if I fell off a cliff, I would go splat at the end. No one would save me. So I dont know if I consider it a choice, I think in most cases I do, but the jury for me is still out.
Ive seen guys and spent lots of time with them when we used to all hang out, go totally off the cliff, when they lost their wife, through an affair, and it drove them off a cliff, lost their job, kids, etc. I can never see turning to drugs or alcohol to recover from that, I felt that was a stupid choice, and a better one would have benefited them more. Such as doing well is the best revenge. I just dont see how losing a lover , Ok maybe a pity party for a week or two, but to lose your liveliehood, and life over a wench, or a jerk. dont get it. My ex did it, drank himself into a stuper, on anti depression meds, and blew his brains out. he had ditched so many women, including me, and he killed himself over one? I still dont get it. Totally devastated my son. So like I say, I dont know what causes these addictions, I just know I wont let anything have power over my mind, or life.

If so she got too much!!! Obviously doesnt need it or the lobster trains been outta town.

In 1956 the American Medical Association declared acholism a disease, this has been further expanded to include drug addictions. It has many of the same causative factors as type 2 diabetes, hypertension and asthma. They found family history, personal choice, and evironmental factors are involved in all these illnesses, providing evidence drug, (including alcohol) dependence is a chronic medical illness.

I've never collected food stamps but did have friends who did many years ago. They said they didn't cover toilet paper and other items that may run up your bill at the grocery store but as far as food went they could have bought sirloin steaks and lobster tails and had money left over.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ok, Im wrong about addictions.
I dont think they eat better, just more crap.
I cant remember the last time I bought anything to throw in the microwave to eat on a daily basis. I still cook, or someone does, because its cheaper and better for you. We have an occasional lazy mans meal, but not often. and not bought by me, that would be the other half.
I think its ridiculous how young people can go on ssi because they are drug addicted. What a way to run a railroad.