Colt

Was sent to local driving school passed now I'm waiting for 3 day training with sup only been with company for almost 90 days. looks like peak about to start so probably won't happen till 2017 I would assume ?

AutoZone

BrownPower
Was sent to local driving school passed now I'm waiting for 3 day training with sup only been with company for almost 90 days. looks like peak about to start so probably won't happen till 2017 I would assume ?
You'll more than likely drive thru peak.. but classified as a seasonal driver and you'll need to qualify your 30 days next year after Feb 1st.. work hard.. give them a reason to keep you out there after peak.. after you qualify, slow down to your pace.. not theirs.. do your job.. stay quiet.. but always stand up for yourself. You'll be OK. This is the advice I was given.. I'm currently in the middle of trying to qualify my 30.. good luck bud

Colt

Thanks for the response BrownJake
Good thing my benefits kick in Nov 1st for the fam can't beat that package we are offered till then I'll keep loading my set

BigD Bri

For anyone that wants to answer: Got a call from HR while I was slinging boxes, asking me to call them about the seasonal driving position I bid on (just started my 4th week, was shocked to hear them on my voice mail). Haven't spoken to them yet, so here's my question before I do: If they offer it to me, do I somehow run the risk of jeapordizing a shot at a FT driving position? (I know it's early in the game for that, but they are opening two new hubs in DFW almost as we speak). Read somewhere on here that it might..

Turdferguson

Just a turd
For anyone that wants to answer: Got a call from HR while I was slinging boxes, asking me to call them about the seasonal driving position I bid on (just started my 4th week, was shocked to hear them on my voice mail). Haven't spoken to them yet, so here's my question before I do: If they offer it to me, do I somehow run the risk of jeapordizing a shot at a FT driving position? (I know it's early in the game for that, but they are opening two new hubs in DFW almost as we speak). Read somewhere on here that it might..

Only way it would jeopardize it is if you get in a wreck, or suck beyond belief.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Go for it! No risk, no reward...

AutoZone

BrownPower
Agreed... I take the road test on Friday. Also, for any other new guys that may be in the same position, HR told me it doesn't jepordize my status as permanent, or stop accrued seniority..
I'm in the middle of doing my 30 for cover.. my focus isn't on ft tho.. just on doing my job the best I can to my ability.. and crossing fingers I do it well enough to keep the ft hours up.. I'll cross that ft bridge later on.. according to the guys here, apparently I'll be offered ft just shy of my 175th birthday.. lol don't listen to anyone in hr, or on this dumb app.. I've found both of their advice is usually wrong.. you get a chance, just go with it bud.. good luck..

kevw45

Hey everyone, I'm a new hire and new member to the forum. I have a serious issue going on at my center that I don't know what to do about, mostly because I've been lied to about the real process of what's to happen. I applied for a TCD, went to the 5 day school and passed, and did an on road supervisor ride along the following Friday. The issue is I haven't been called back for further training and I don't know why. First of all, it took 4 days after the school of calling my hub's HR before I got the ride along scheduled. Within those four days, I discovered I had not been assigned to a center yet, which apparently was supposed to happen before I went to the school, so that had to be determined simultaneously. On the fourth day, my center manager called me to assign me on the ride along for the next day (Friday). During the same phone call, he told me in advance that after the ride along, I wouldn't get called again for 7-10 days. It has been two weeks, I have made countless phone calls to HR and multiple calls leaving messages for the center manager, and I have not had one call returned. I wasn't asked to work pre-load either. What am I supposed to do? What does this mean? I quit my job to be able to attend the 5 day school and now I seemingly don't have a job at all.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Doesn't the T in TCD stand for temporary? It probably wasn't a smart idea to quit a job you had, for a 'temporary' driver job. At least not for one you had no idea of how things really work; which, as a new hire, you don't.

Anyway, this is the time of year when many extra drivers are hired and trained, but there isn't yet enough work to go around. They'll get to you, eventually.

I hope things work out for you.

kevw45

Doesn't the T in TCD stand for temporary? It probably wasn't a smart idea to quit a job you had, for a 'temporary' driver job. At least not for one you had no idea of how things really work; which, as a new hire, you don't.

Anyway, this is the time of year when many extra drivers are hired and trained, but there isn't yet enough work to go around. They'll get to you, eventually.

I hope things work out for you.
Hondo, do you know of a job that allows you to take off 5 days to attend another employer's school only for you to get employed by them and have your position abruptly vacant? And yes, the "T" does mean temporary, as in my position being temporary until a full time position comes up, not a temporary employee. As I already stated, I've been lied to, otherwise I wouldn't have quit my job. I'm not stupid! In the group interviews held by HR, we were all explicitly told we would be working 40-50 hours a week if we passed integrad and then after the season, we may be working the pre-load part time and may have to find another part time job until we have enough seniority to become full time. I specifically remember them saying that, because about half the class walked out when they learned they would be putting in that many hours. Furthermore, while at integrad, part of the material taught to us pertaining to the infrastructure of ups, was that every center had dedicated training routes where we would spend 30 days on as part of a probation period. You can't even cover routes until you complete that!!! Maybe those routes currently have trainees on them, maybe they don't even exist... I wouldn't know because I'm being completely ignored. Also, what's up with not even calling me to work preload? They called another guy in from my class to work preload. The on road supervisor that I road with told me I could work preload if I wanted, but then he discouraged me from doing so stating, "I wouldn't if I were you. I wouldn't want to wake up at 3 in the morning. You'll make as much money one day driving then you would all week working preload." Come to find out, I could've been working preload this entire time towards my 30 day punches. WTF!? Now nothing is available to me, and I'm out of a job without so much as a courtesy call to let me know, "hey it might be another month, maybe not until after peak." Nothing!!

Last edited:

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@kevw45 : Welcome to the company. You're getting jerked around. That's what they do. That's why we have a union. Unfortunately, the union (in some parts of the country) agreed to these TCD positions, that leads to more jerking. All I can suggest is keep calling them about working Preload. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone in HR still has some small sliver of decency in them.

BigD Bri

I'm in the middle of doing my 30 for cover.. my focus isn't on ft tho.. just on doing my job the best I can to my ability.. and crossing fingers I do it well enough to keep the ft hours up.. I'll cross that ft bridge later on.. according to the guys here, apparently I'll be offered ft just shy of my 175th birthday.. lol don't listen to anyone in hr, or on this dumb app.. I've found both of their advice is usually wrong.. you get a chance, just go with it bud.. good luck..

That's basically my thinking as well.. When I signed the bid list, I didn't even consider it to be a possibility because I only have three weeks on the job as a loader. Under no circumstances can I imagine not accepting the seasonal driving bid, regardless of what I hear anywhere. I'll prepare as if I'm going right back to part time hours loading in January, and hope for the best. Nobody in my center, sup or HR, ever seems to have the same thing to say about much of anything..

BigD Bri

Hondo, do you know of a job that allows you to take off 5 days to attend another employer's school only for you to get employed by them and have your position abruptly vacant? And yes, the "T" does mean temporary, as in my position being temporary until a full time position comes up, not a temporary employee. As I already stated, I've been lied to, otherwise I wouldn't have quit my job. I'm not stupid! In the group interviews held by HR, we were all explicitly told we would be working 40-50 hours a week if we passed integrad and then after the season, we may be working the pre-load part time and may have to find another part time job until we have enough seniority to become full time. I specifically remember them saying that, because about half the class walked out when they learned they would be putting in that many hours. Furthermore, while at integrad, part of the material taught to us pertaining to the infrastructure of ups, was that every center had dedicated training routes where we would spend 30 days on as part of a probation period. You can't even cover routes until you complete that!!! Maybe those routes currently have trainees on them, maybe they don't even exist... I wouldn't know because I'm being completely ignored. Also, what's up with not even calling me to work preload? They called another guy in from my class to work preload. The on road supervisor that I road with told me I could work preload if I wanted, but then he discouraged me from doing so stating, "I wouldn't if I were you. I wouldn't want to wake up at 3 in the morning. You'll make as much money one day driving then you would all week working preload." Come to find out, I could've been working preload this entire time towards my 30 day punches. WTF!? Now nothing is available to me, and I'm out of a job without so much as a courtesy call to let me know, "hey it might be another month, maybe not until after peak." Nothing!!

I originally applied for TCD, attended the group interview, and was told exactly what you were told as far as the hours during peak, and being able to do the loading when not driving. However, due to some union conflict about hiring outside TCD at our center, they never hired me as that, instead hiring me as a loader.. Sounds like you are really getting a raw deal. From what I understand, they can't hire enough loaders for peak, so your situation, from what I'm reading here, would really upset me as well... Hope something breaks for you, man..

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Agreed... I take the road test on Friday. Also, for any other new guys that may be in the same position, HR told me it doesn't jepordize my status as permanent, or stop accrued seniority..

This is the time of year that UPS will say anything to get drivers in the seats. Good luck on your road test and if everything is good you will soon be a seasonal driver. Don't get in an accident, don't get hurt, try not to have major service failures and you MIGHT be kept on after peak.

Advice like below is worthless. If you go into this hoping for permanent but knowing you might go back to preloading, then you are already doing better than most of the people who come on here looking for advice. Good luck out there!

don't listen to anyone in hr, or on this dumb app.. I've found both of their advice is usually wrong..

So correct me if I'm wrong but are you not spouting off advice only to tell the OP not to listen to anyone's advice on here or in HR?

Great advice donk!

BigD Bri

This is the time of year that UPS will say anything to get drivers in the seats. Good luck on your road test and if everything is good you will soon be a seasonal driver. Don't get in an accident, don't get hurt, try not to have major service failures and you MIGHT be kept on after peak.

Advice like below is worthless. If you go into this hoping for permanent but knowing you might go back to preloading, then you are already doing better than most of the people who come on here looking for advice. Good luck out there!

So correct me if I'm wrong but are you not spouting off advice only to tell the OP not to listen to anyone's advice on here or in HR?

Great advice donk!

That's one thing I do hear consistantly.. Wreck the truck, do a sh***y job, get yourself hurt, you can forget it.. I think that many of us that are new, I know this applies to me, have no or little experience with a union job. I've always been able to succeed or fail based on being better than the other guy, or not. Here, you're in line behind people based on seniority, and that seems to supercede performance... That'z something I've never dealt with..

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
That's one thing I do hear consistantly.. Wreck the truck, do a sh***y job, get yourself hurt, you can forget it.. I think that many of us that are new, I know this applies to me, have no or little experience with a union job. I've always been able to succeed or fail based on being better than the other guy, or not. Here, you're in line behind people based on seniority, and that seems to supercede performance... That'z something I've never dealt with..

Get over that train of thought. Your performance here gets rewarded, just with more work!

kevw45

I originally applied for TCD, attended the group interview, and was told exactly what you were told as far as the hours during peak, and being able to do the loading when not driving. However, due to some union conflict about hiring outside TCD at our center, they never hired me as that, instead hiring me as a loader.. Sounds like you are really getting a raw deal. From what I understand, they can't hire enough loaders for peak, so your situation, from what I'm reading here, would really upset me as well... Hope something breaks for you, man..
I just drove down to my hub, asked the secretary inside the managers office if the manager was in, and she pointed me in the direction of his office. I went there and he was away from his desk. I went back to the secretary lady and asked if he was still in the building and she said yes and that he usually doesn't leave until 4. So I said ok, I'll just hang out. I went back to his office and waited only for the secretary to come find me about five minutes later to tell me that she texted him to tell him I was there, which I didn't ask for, and informed me he had texed her back to tell me to show up on Friday. Like really!? After all that, he couldn't have made a 30 second phone call to me to tell me that, and on top of that, he couldn't come tell me in person? I've never shook the man's hand. Whatever!