kevw45

Ahh, new information.

Why did you leave there?

(BTW, I was working at Parcel probably long before you were born. No delicacy back then.)
Well, I left there because after I moved up to their "feeder" position, the contract I was employed under got terminated.

kevw45

You don't get it do you? Drivers would LOVE to be able to load their own trucks.
I'm sure it's a take and give situation. Where I worked, you didn't have to just load your own truck, but you had to scan each one of them before putting them on your truck, and label each one with a sharpie with the sequence number.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm sure it's a take and give situation. Where I worked, you didn't have to just load your own truck, but you had to scan each one of them before putting them on your truck, and label each one with a sharpie with the sequence number.

Time spent loading means less time on the road. Which work do you think is easier?

kevw45

Time spent loading means less time on the road. Which work do you think is easier?
None of it is hard, it's just more time consuming to have to load your own truck, thus you have to run faster on your route to make up the time it took you to load it.

kevw45

Knees will be gone in less than a decade.
If I'm not in a rig, in a year... I'll be disappointed. All they do is sit on their a**. Get a CDL man! Anyways, I just talked to a UPS feeder driver back from where I'm from and he said it took him 5 years to move up to that. That's in a city that literally is not expanding at all.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If I'm not in a rig, in a year... I'll be disappointed. All they do is sit on their a**. Get a CDL man! Anyways, I just talked to a UPS feeder driver back from where I'm from and he said it took him 5 years to move up to that. That's in a city that literally is not expanding at all.
Most places it's gonna take 20-25 years to even sniff feeders.

kevw45

Most places it's gonna take 20-25 years to even sniff feeders.
There you go with your pessimism again... Where I'm at now they're opening up more hubs... Somebody has to drive those trucks, and I already have my license and experience. HR has already asked me if that's what I'm interested in, of course they said I have to become a full time driver first, but a feeder position doesn't seem far off in my area.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There you go with your pessimism again... Where I'm at now they're opening up more hubs... Somebody has to drive those trucks, and I already have my license and experience. HR has already asked me if that's what I'm interested in, of course they said I have to become a full time driver first, but a feeder position doesn't seem far off in my area.
I'm just telling you the facts.

On average you are looking at 5 years part time before you drive then 15-20 years in package car before you can get into feeders.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Actually I did both, took me a minute to figure out what, "HD" was.

None of it is hard, it's just more time consuming to have to load your own truck, thus you have to run faster on your route to make up the time it took you to load it.

FedEx ground is a cake walk compared to doing a FT route at ups. I wouldn't take it so lightly. Various time commits, Orion trace, bricked out car and on average some routes get 400-600 pieces a day.

Feeders is by seniority so it doesn't matter how "disappointed " you feel. Everything is by seniority.

FedEx ground and ups are night and day. Ups pays more so they expect more in terms of responsibility, production and appearance standards. FedEx ground pretty much is quite the opposite from what I've seen.

Put your time in, learn from the senior guys and don't act like a brown jake know it all and you'll be fine.

Also go online a read the master contract and the supplement for your area. Learn what applies to you and take and keep notes. It'll make you a better driver.

Most important is don't be an ass. Brown jake is learning that the hard way.

Listen, learn and remember whatever you think you know from FedEx doesn't apply at ups. More listening and less telling and you'll be ok.