Frozen snot

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Meet my "independent bicycle helper". This guy has been showing up every morning to deliver around 40 stops out of a pup trailer we park behind the UPS store.

The temperature was 14 degrees when I took this photo. Wind gusts of up to 35mph have brought windchills down well below zero.

This guy is a real trooper. When I saw him yesterday, he had a mixture of frozen snot and frozen tears running down his face and crystallizing on his cheeks. He wears a baclava to keep his face warm and the condensation of his breath freezes up on it.

The other day a wind gust blew the bike off its kickstand and broke the plastic "hitch" under the seat that connects to the little trailer, so he had to walk off the stops and then push the bike back to the UPS store while dragging the trailer by hand until someone could get the part replaced.

Its supposed to "warm up" next week...to the upper 30's/low 40's with lots of rain. And we might get snow or freezing rain this weekend. This guy will go from being a popsicle to a drowned rat.

$9.50 an hour? We owe him more!
frozen hellper 2.JPG

D

Dis-organized Labor

There's an article on UPSers.com that talks about how great this is.
It doesn't say anything about frozen snot or cold weather.
They interviewed a 22 year old Package Bike Driver and he says he loves it.
Yet ANOTHER wildly successful UPS initiative.
Let's see FDX match THAT!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
He deserves a big raise just for the "embarrassment factor" for having to pedal that gay rig around in public.:wink2:

P

pickup

wow , that snot froze into a big rectangle that covers his entire face. How can he see when he rides that bike?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
He's snot doing it for the money.
He's snot doing it for the exercise.
He's snot doing it to get a foot in the door.
Snot or no snot, chicks dig a man in uniform on a bike.
For some guys that's enough.

UPSSOCKS

Meet my "independent bicycle helper". This guy has been showing up every morning to deliver around 40 stops out of a pup trailer we park behind the UPS store.

The temperature was 14 degrees when I took this photo. Wind gusts of up to 35mph have brought windchills down well below zero.

This guy is a real trooper. When I saw him yesterday, he had a mixture of frozen snot and frozen tears running down his face and crystallizing on his cheeks. He wears a baclava to keep his face warm and the condensation of his breath freezes up on it.

The other day a wind gust blew the bike off its kickstand and broke the plastic "hitch" under the seat that connects to the little trailer, so he had to walk off the stops and then push the bike back to the UPS store while dragging the trailer by hand until someone could get the part replaced.

Its supposed to "warm up" next week...to the upper 30's/low 40's with lots of rain. And we might get snow or freezing rain this weekend. This guy will go from being a popsicle to a drowned rat.

$9.50 an hour? We owe him more!

I can't believe that this bike thing is still going on.

raceanoncr

I can't believe that this bike thing is still going on. I just wished I could have had one. If only my derelict daddy would've stayed and got me one but it would've been kinda hard to store under the bridge where all my mommies and different brothers and sisters lived.

So sad.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This has got to be one of the most stupiest ideas anybody at UPS has ever thought of. And I have seen a lot of them. I could see where this might work in a tight area in better weather, but in extreme cold, come on now.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I wonder how packages are secured when he leaves his bike? I would get a kick out of seeing the bike going down the road with a Pottery Barn box hanging out the back.

slantnosechevy

But why is the bike blue as well as the cart's wheels? He should be able to deliver 10 more stops per hour with no bulkhead door, keys, or hand brake. Where's the DVIR? Does the OJS come out on his bike? Or does he ride in the cart?

I've got customers who would beat the frozen snot out of this guy if they saw him wheeling up to their business.

UPSSOCKS

But why is the bike blue as well as the cart's wheels? He should be able to deliver 10 more stops per hour with no bulkhead door, keys, or hand brake. Where's the DVIR? Does the OJS come out on his bike? Or does he ride in the cart?

I've got customers who would beat the frozen snot out of this guy if they saw him wheeling up to their business.

I wouldn't want the bike and buggy parked on the sidewalk in front of my store.

satellitedriver

This is just damn scary and a pathetic public image.
WalMart bike, tube frame trailer with plastic wheels, with less than 150lb load capacity, and not even painted any color close to Pullman brown.
The list of errors, in planning and engineering, is mind boggling to me.