FT driver training a seasonal..

evilleace

They did this to me a few weeks ago, It is $.50 an hr, and you can tell them you aren't comfortable doing it but it won't make much difference. BA said work and then grieve it. I didn't mind but a little warning would have been nice.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
So out of the blue on Friday about 6 of us were told " hey this is so and so you will be training him today" now as a regular FT driver NOT an on road sup do we really have to do this?
Why wouldn't you want to do this? In central, you get .50 and hour more for training, you get that extra set of hands helping you, AND, the trainee gets the benefit of being trained by a real driver with a real load and not a supe who might or might not have driving experience.

Why wouldn't you want to do this? In central, you get .50 and hour more for training, you get that extra set of hands helping you, AND, the trainee gets the benefit of being trained by a real driver with a real load and not a supe who might or might not have driving experience.
Maybe some guys don't think an extra $4 or $5 a day is worth the intrusion.

ManInBrown

Maybe some guys don't think an extra $4 or $5 a day is worth the intrusion.
This. I did it for one day, but wasn't thrilled. I basically just sucked it up and it was going to be of help to me in the long run. It was a route where the driver was on comp and training this person was going to get me off of it. Had it not been for the fact that it was helping me in the long run, I would have put up more of a stink. The extra .50 an hour is not enough to have to hold someone's hand all day. I like being on my own out there. One of the great things about this job.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
Yes you get paid more for the day. I forget the code but the extra pay is paltry. Maybe 50 cents an hour more. The trainee punches into the board and you tell the night OMS your hours. You don't get the extra pay if you are punched into the board. It has to be manually entered
SON OF A!!!!! 3 months ago, I was greeted this way. Here's "so and so" and you'll be training him today. I'm not on the safety committee, nor am I an on-road! I didn't know he was supposed to punch in on the board!!!

Damnit!! That $.50 more an hour could have bought me a sixer!!!

DOK

So are you training the new driver for 3 days straight or is this just a one day thing to show them what the job is about?

HandleMyPackage-Mgt

Richard in a box
My center uses this all the time to "train" new drivers. Prior to peak, we put drivers on routes that will split in two when peak comes. That way the new driver has the route area knowledge. I don't expect my drivers to train them any more than a regular helper. In the end, the rubber meets the road training is my responsibility, but learning from experienced driver can not be replaced.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My center uses this all the time to "train" new drivers. Prior to peak, we put drivers on routes that will split in two when peak comes. That way the new driver has the route area knowledge. I don't expect my drivers to train them any more than a regular helper. In the end, the rubber meets the road training is my responsibility, but learning from experienced driver can not be replaced.

Unless your are an on car with at least 5 years experience the newbie will receive better training from a veteran driver.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have taken new driver candidates out to show them what the job is really like several times. They weren't punched in on a DIAD, their time was entered manually by an OMS at the end of the day. I didn't know about extra pay as a trainer, this doesn't happen much. I took one new driver out on his second day once because we were short of supervisors and drivers and I had area knowledge. I was on TAW and that day was coded out under safety.

davidix

I learned 10× more with a driver than a sup.. I don't give a :censored2: about all this crap. What dock do I use, how do I run this business block. I'll take all the packages and you drive just show me the route.